George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Pewter is heavy, and easily damaged. A shipper’s nightmare. Also possibly far more expensive than any plastic.

No way I’d spend $1000 on a box set of anything, by anyone, but that set of gnomes, made of pewter? Forget it.

2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

One Pound Coin, 25th Anniversary, Gold Proof Collection Boxed
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Manufacturer: Royal Mint

Weight (grams): 274.666

Pure gold content (grams): 251.77716

Fineness: 916.7

Dimensions: 22.50mm diameter (coin)

3. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I’ll give you £14 for that. No, £15!

Geordiepete likes this.
  4. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I didn't realize the crate came with this. Put me down for two please!
    Gold? Are you sure those figurines aren't . . . LEPRECHAUNS? :ignore:

Tom in Houston likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It makes me laugh whenever I see people make those comments. Thanks for an injection of common sense in this thread.

misteranderson likes this.
  6. dsdu

Only for orders that don't apply discount codes.

Sargon likes this.
  7. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

:laughup:
    I knew there was a catch!

dsdu likes this.
  8. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Stop and interrupt the tracklist of an album like that? No way, man.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Maybe if that gold had been mined out of the grotto at Friar Park... then we'd have a deal :shh:

Sargon likes this.
  11. stever

stever Senior Member

Is there a 5-CD without Blu-Ray?

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  12. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

unfortunately no. I have blu ray discs that get no good use cause I don’t have a surround set up. But when or if I do get one, it’ll be nice!

13. stever

stever Senior Member

Will all additional tracks available on this release be on the 3-CD set?

905 likes this.
  14. Rorsontherun

Rorsontherun Forum Resident

$1000 for plastic gnomes? I'd had expected... I don't know.. silver or other cheaper metal! LOL

15. dsdu

No organic gnomes, no sale!

Sargon and Rorsontherun like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Don’t worry, I hear they’re free range.

crossroads69, Geordiepete and Sargon like this.
  17. As the availability was officially announced by Universal a couple of days ago, before this thread was started, it will be released August 6th. I have ordered the 5CD+Blu-ray and the Super Deluxe 8LP versions from Universal's The Sound Of Vinyl and UDiscover online stores. Both sent me 30% off discount codes, so I am getting them for bargain prices. When I receive my copies after August 6th and have a chance to listen to them, I will gladly comment on them. It's hard to make comments on something which hasn't hit the streets yet!

18. dsdu

Obviously not the case on SHF - Page 51 Post 1273

19. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

And about the "You " version recorded in 1970? Why this version is missing?

20. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

That right there is funny!! :D

Sargon and supermd like this.
  21. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

No...the logical thing to do would be to put the double album proper on disc one and the Apple Jam and bonus tracks on disc 2

22. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I love both the Spector "wall of sound" and Apple Scruffs. Hopelessly addicted to that album for decades. I cannot view this album that has been in it's present form for 50 years as a wrong version. It's the "official" one. A production style that both buries and defines the unique sound and style of this album. It's the only one like it. But the new version will be a very interesting alternate presentation for sure - rather than some minor "upgrade".

I suspect I will always prefer the original. It's been with me too long (45 years), and I love it's bigger than life sound that takes me out of the "band on the stage" presentation. (Always been a fan of "production". Venus and Mars anyone?) But I can also say that I haven't looked forward to a release as much as this new one. Having both will be a win-win all around. :laugh::agree:

Spector certainly transformed the Get Back sessions into something that I don't believe was the intent of the band. But I DO like how this album suffers the least from "Beatles Stereo". It has the most full and natural sound stage - at least on the stereo aspect. For me, the only modern sounding Beatles album in this regard. (But the eight track Abbey Road ain't no slouch either).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Let me start off by saying I love Spector’s production on this album. Every song feels right. He did a great job. Working with John and George in such a short time frame and getting vastly different sounding albums from them shows his depth. And yeah, he did a great job on Let It Be. There, I said it. Do I still like Naked more? Yes, but that may because I heard that for years before I ever heard the original album.

Having said that, I would have loved to have gotten a stripped/raw version of this album. It would be a complete revelation. I’m not too disappointed it’s not on this set, because I figured this would be the last thing they would have included. Just a gut feeling I had.

24. solent

solent Forum Resident

I would assume that the 1970 version of YOU was left off because it exists only as a backing track (subsequently used on Extra Texture). I can see no evidence of any of the backing tracks being included on this release just alternate takes (please correct me if I’m wrong). Multiple versions of backing tracks with different overdubs have long been available on bootlegs. As well as a session for APPLE SCRUFFS.
    How certain is everyone out there that the remixes of the Spectorised tracks will be clearer (as the raw mixes used by the Lennon camp are)? Do you all expect no reverb at all or a little?

Naughty Chord, Sargon and supermd like this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They will be very similar to the original mix. We are not getting raw versions of any of the main album tracks. The only things that will be raw with little or no reverb are the bonus tracks. Check out last year’s remix of “All Things Must Pass” to hear for yourself. It’ll be on this upcoming set as part of the main album remix.

Lewisboogie and stevef like this.