George Harrison All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary Edition - contents, outtakes & sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You really believe that?

905, supermd, marcb and 1 other person like this.
  2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

yes

3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I wonder if that small book in the bottom left corner is the book for the 5CD/1Bluray set. Looks to be about the right dimensions when compared to the 6 discs shown. Just my speculation.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Mazzy, re: the orig vinyl....ever notice how warm and intimate the very first song is? Incredible atmosphere, almost a swirling effect, followed by The Big Hit Single, which takes you to church:) The 'bigness' of the sound is part of its charm. I feel Phil at times was a true master, knowing that obscuring can cover a multitude of sins LOL

5. Kim Olesen

Ok. Then you got your concepts on why and how things are done in a studio setting wrong. Sorry to be so blunt.

No engineer/producer that i ever knew printed effects to tape because of possible future remixes. It is out of convenience in the given situation. Specially on tape with limited tracks. You might have to combine a track with something you want to have reverb on, with a track with something you want to be dry. Then you have to print the efx.

The echo on the leadvocal on A Day In The life. It is not printed on the tape to prevent a future remix with a dry vocal. Thinking it is is simply……let’s call it biased imagination.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    pantofis, Isaac Azimuth, 905 and 7 others like this.
  6. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

The 8Lp went from $199 to $170 in amazon

FJFP likes this.
  7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I love you too darling but you didn't know Phil or his intentions. Sorry to be so blunt LOL

8. Kim Olesen

Neither do you. I am sure that all accounts of Spector being difficult etc are correct. But i know how recordings are done, and why you do certain things. And the intention to prevent a remix is not an issue in a recording situation.

9. Exactly !

DmitriKaramazov and lennonfan1 like this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

On Amazon, the price of the Lennon Plastic Ono Band 2-LP set has plummeted from $69.98 to roughly $40, and the price of the Neil Young 50th anniversary After the Gold Rush has dropped from $100 into the $57 range. I think fans may be voting with their wallets against the prices of some new vinyl. Of course superfans will pay any price to have any given reissue on release day, but it looks the labels are having to drop prices in order to sell out of some recent stock.

I’m going to take the chance that the prices of the 5 CD Blu-Ray and/or the 8 LP set of All Things Must Pass reissue drop significantly after release day. If I lose, I lose, but I think we’re going to see price drops comparable to that of the Plastic Ono Band 2-LP set.

FJFP and jmrife like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m basically the opposite - except I rip everything. But I pretty much just listen to the 5.1 mix unless it sucks.

I listen to the CDs with remixes, outtakes, etc. maybe once, if ever. And if the original mix is there and mastered better than previous versions, I’ll just try to get a hi-rez version.

boggs and garymc like this.
  12. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I actually listen to the individual 5.1 channels to see if I can pick up anything new in the recording. I don't have surround audio. The new mix is hi-rez on the blu-ray.

13. fini

fini Forum Resident

Have there been any published reviews of the sound quality yet? This morning I pulled the trigger on the CD/Blu Ray set, and the colored vinyl set.

Nogoodnik likes this.
  14. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

How can there be any reviews? Not out for 2 more months.

905, longdist01 and Floater like this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I love those comments.

“This is one of my favorite albums of all time! I just wish it had a different arrangement and sounded different.” :help:

16. fini

fini Forum Resident

Often times reviewers get advanced copies. I'll have to wait 2 months for yours...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

905 likes this.
  18. lordcat and Floater like this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

20. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Same here. I would shoot for the splatter vinyl while you’re at it.

(Psst… I already ordered the 5 disc, and I’m considering the splatter vinyl even though I don’t have a current turntable setup. Don’t tell anyone. Thanks.)

BlueJay likes this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Although those are totally fair! I never had an issue with this album but take Vapor Trails by Rush. The album was overly compressed, the mix/arrangements made for a muddy sound, however I loved the songs and the songwriting and consider the songs as compositions some of my favorite Rush songs. I think it is totally valid to have the ability to be subtle and critique elements of the sound design a la Phil while giving the music some love

NorthNY Mark and supermd like this.
  22. St. Matthew

St. Matthew Forum Resident

In this 1979 interview George says he wants to remix ATMP and that it sounds dated:

23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

yeah, and John later wanted to re-record Strawberry Fields Forever and many of his other Beatles songs. Glad he didn't;) Later years artists desire for revisions should be taken with a grain.

24. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

Terrific interview, but can you imagine ATMP sounding like George's 1979 recordings...no thanks.
    One advantage of being in 2021 is there really isn't a current trendy style in anything let alone music, everything is trendy at all times.
    ATMP is just as trendy as Ultravox and 'Vienna'

I think all the reverb adds to the charm of ATMP especially on tracks like 'Let it Roll' it really takes you into Friar Park with it's obviously big cavernous room's.
    Though a dryer mix would be interesting and enjoyable I must admit.

25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

That was a well known & understood Maxim by record producers for decades.

majorlance likes this.