George Harrison - All Things Must Pass 50th-ish Anniversary Edition - Price & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunking101, Nov 21, 2018.

1. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Don't get the updated version on CD from when George was alive, the one with color on the cover; they ruined the sound.

Can you still buy the high-quality files from George's official website? Those sound great!

As for the price, it's the greatest solo album by a Beatle, produced by the greatest producer of all time. It would be a bargain at twice the price.

2. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is bloody good. I had the vinyl years back but an ex took it. I had it on cassette once too but now have an urgent opening for the CD version. Oh and yes, I'll avoid Harrison's remix even though the cover does look cool with the splashes of colour...

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Great price right now on Amazon.com for the remastered USA vinyl edition (2017), from the same master as the Apple Years/Vinyl Collection box sets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N6QY1XF/

(You have to copy and paste this link if you are outside the USA, clicking it will default to your own country's Amazon site)

lightbulb and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  4. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Right now you can get a new, sealed copy of the most recent vinyl pressing (which is absolutely fabulous) on Amazon for just $39. Normally, it’s about $60, but even that’s a fair price for a 3-LP set with all that beautiful packaging.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yeah it's not your grandma's jelly, it's made with genuine Friar Park Preserves!
    [​IMG]

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

There should be a way to get it cheaper. I got the recent remaster for $17 at Soundgarden, Baltimore, brandnew and sealed.

As for those berating the Apple Jam album, as far as jams go it’s pretty amazing stuff if you ask me...

the_redgrin and donohed like this.
  7. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

I can understand how an original copy of All Things Must Pass would have appreciated since the vinyl revival, but the RRP for the reissue was insane. You can find near mint originals cheaper than that, even with the appreciated cost.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Well sure but it really wasn't free based on the retail cost at the time. It's expensive because it's a former Beatle and the packaging (for vinyl). As to an original, it's the collector mentality I guess.

9. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

For the same reason a William Hung CD is inexpensive

wavethatflag and Mugrug12 like this.
  10. old school

old school Senior Member

First mistake never ever let the ex take from your collection.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Let's face it dude, George always had it out for you.
    Still does, obviously.

:--)

A6mzero and wavethatflag like this.
  12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I agree! I love the Apple Jam disc.

seacliffe301 and blutiga like this.
  13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

You are kind of arguing against yourself there, and the second version is the one I agree with. The extra retail cost at the original time would have been covering the packaging for vinyl, all which would have been more expensive than normal albums at that time to produce: a box that is wrapped in a thick black textured covering outside, printed front color inner, plain rear color inner, plus has a hinge attachment; large heavy-weight poster; and three different color stock printed paper vinyl sleeves. After the cost of all those premium materials, manufacturing, printing, and assembly, yes I believe the actual Apple Jam album was by then "free".

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Paid $29.99 18 months ago for a real nice complete, original LP. That seems beyond reasonable to me.

Rorsontherun, A6mzero and Aftermath like this.
  15. danner

danner Forum Resident

I haven’t noticed All Things Must Pass being particularly expensive, but I remember always seeing standard CD issues of The Wall priced over $30 for no particular reason all through the 90s. I never understood why it was always more expensive than every other 2 CD set.

16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident Thread Starter

These fatboys have gone rogue.:rant:

A6mzero and Lost In The Flood like this.
  17. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Are they expensive? I hope so, I've got twelve different versions on vinyl.
    I don't have the very newest, yet.

The Australian one came in a tri-fold instead of a box, looks like a double album but the Jam is still there. The sound of it isn't anything special, unlike the German and Japanese.

18. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

There are 2 solutions to your problem:

-- Get given All Things Must Pass as a birthday gift, as I was (by my best friend), aged 15, in 1991. That's free.

-- Live in Tokyo, as I do. We can buy pretty much anything under the sun, new or used, for good prices, a short subway trip away.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Bingo.

20. applebonkerz

Every couple years this same twisted debunked topic keeps coming back like a disease. It was a double album.

“For the jams, I didn’t want to just throw [them] in the cupboard, and yet at the same time it wasn’t part of the record; that’s why I put it on a separate label to go in the package as a kind of bonus. -- George Harrison, interview December 2000, Billboard magazine.

You can debate all you want about the merits of including two versions of Isn't It a Pity on the double album, or if the actual All Things Must Pass album -- which is only the two discs -- is stretched. The extra Apple Jam album is not All Things Must Pass, and it is "disposable." That was the whole point of it--it was a free extra bonus thrown into the set just like the poster. If he hadn't ever included that bonus at the time, and the 50th anniversary rolls around with the estate pulling a McCartney archives Wildlife-like release, only touting "never-before heard session jams" people here would suddenly be clamoring to purchase a $150 box set just to hear Apple Jam. Then there would be multiple discussions about how those same recordings should have been released at the time, they are long-lost treasures, blah blah blah. It's the way this place always works.

21. puddingdish

The Australian version uses UK stampers though...

lennonfan1, Guy from Ohio and blutiga like this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Because all things must pass, so you have to grab them when you can, while they are there.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  23. puddingdish

I don't think George saw it as disposable, or he wouldn't have included it. Besides, the those songs are listed on the inside of the box as though they're part of the album, and not separate: Side One, Side Two, Side Three, Side Four, Side Six.... It doesn't distinguish. And its not really "free" is it, when it makes the cost of the whole package higher?

Darrin L. likes this.
  24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Has the album ever been available new as a 2LP for a cheaper price or does it always come with the expensive frisbee?

25. applebonkerz

You can see my post #45 earlier about what all contributed to the higher cost.

[​IMG]