George Harrison - All Things Must Pass 50th-ish Anniversary Edition - Price & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunking101, Nov 21, 2018.

1. oskaraleman

oskaraleman Forum Resident

Wish mine had included a Frisbee!
    I did purchase the long-box CD years ago...put the box up on the wall in the hall.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

.... because it's constantly a triple set in a box with poster? :evil:

Since it sold quite healthy it's actually not too hard to find a decent 2nd hand copy for 30, 40€.

3. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

Its true that the box didn't help the cost of the package, but '3 Lp's for the Price of 2' is really just spin to make that inflated cost look more reasonable. All Things Must Pass sold millions of copies, which means manufacturing millions of copies of that third record also. No way that wasn't factored into the retail price somewhere.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Throw in a poster and a box without crushed corners and well.....

5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just checked Amazon. $42 for new remastered vinyl 3lp limited edition is as low as you can expect. NM press from middle 1970th is not much less, first press (traditionaly) way higher.
    I paid a little over $20 (with discounts) for 24/96 digital download from HDTracks - also pretty normal, if not low for triple album.

6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Gotta drop everything else and give props for a William hung reference. Ok carry on!

Bananas&blow and ironbutterfly like this.
  7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Printed paper things and boxes cost lots to produce, just ask any of the number of people defending the $400 cost of the upcoming McCartney "Big Barn Box" as it's being called. :shh:

8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Don't forget about the disc of questionable live recordings.

applebonkerz likes this.
  9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

It’s apparently the best solo album by a Beatle.

RiRiIII likes this.
  10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Because it's basically his greatest hits, far better than any other album he ever made. Clapton and Ringo are all over it. And Dylan is sort of present, too.

*BTW I object to calling All Things Must Pass a triple album. I get that it's 3 Vinyl LPs in physical format, but in content, it's really a double album called All Things Must Pass with a bonus disc that has a different title, feel, and purpose: Apple Jam.

Hombre and Fishoutofwater like this.
  11. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

Got mine nearly 2 years ago now for 45 bucks (originally was asking 60!), all original, all mint at a flea market in Clifton High School in Clifton, NJ.

My guy, Dan, was trying to show me the LP's beforehand like it was cocaine or something to prove how mint they were! Luckily I knew the dealer for a while at that point, took his word for it, and wow...it was like set itself was taken from a Tower Records in 1970 and sent through a time portal to me in early 2017. Unreal!

G L Tirebiter likes this.
  12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Amazon Germany has the cd in its 3 for 25 euro deal

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  13. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I know you mean well, but I wish this myth would die. All Things Must Pass is hardly "basically [George's] greatest hits".

George had 14 singles (counting 1 Traveling Wilbury's) in the US top-50, and only two are from All Things Must Pass. Many of his (relatively few) big hits, including 'Give Me Love' (US #1), 'Bangla Desh' (UK #10), 'Dark Horse' (US #15), 'You' (US #20), 'Crackerbox Palace' (US #19), 'Blow Away' (US#16, Canada #7), 'All Those Years Ago' (US#1, UK #13), 'Got My Mind Set On You' (US#1, UK#2), and even the Wilburys' 'Handle with Care', 'End of the Line', and She's My Baby' (all big US mainstream-rock chart hits) are way after All Things Must Pass!

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And since Allen Klein was in charge here, I'd bet that the cost was closer to "2 LPs for the price of 3" ... ;)

longdist01, A6mzero and puddingdish like this.
  15. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Does it? I need to re-listen then, I like the original UK.

16. nabucho

nabucho Forum Resident

It remains quite cheap I think, considering the fact it is a real Masterpiece in every aspects : the tracks, the construction of the album spread on 3 discs, each one having it's own spirit, with the last one quite experimental but in the wave of the emerging krautrock scene from Germany.
    I see/hear/understand this triple LP like the post split catharsis of an artist who was quite frustrated by the rule assigned to him by many people : others members of the Beatles (?), record company, fans, ...
    In regards to the album's size, Harrison stated: "I didn't have many tunes on Beatles records, so doing an album like All Things Must Pass was like going to the bathroom and letting it out."
    Finally, one could argue it is the best solo effort of an ex-Beatles, or one of them at least... It is for me, tied maybe with another cathartic album, JOHN LENNON / PLASTIC ONO BAND. It is not nothing and that's give it a lot of value !
    By the way, I was recently lucky enough to get a nice near mint copy of the japanese red wax edition of 1971, for 30$, on a quite well known auction site. It's cheap and it is a treasure of my collection!

blutiga likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nope this was the us Capitol 2lp that got cancelled (but a few shipped out).

No Jam.

18. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Supply and demand

It was expensive for a “double”—the sticker on the shrink wrap said “bonus album” for Apple Jam and that should have been free, it probably took less time to conceive than it took to play, and it’s a weak jam compared to something theAllman Brothers, the Dead or Man could have come up with. My guess is the packaging. I can still remember the price I paid in the mid 70’s - $11.98 (same price as Yessongs- real triple album.) A double at the time was around $8.98. Bonus my a$$.

Desolation Row likes this.
  19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I purchased one at $39. Thanks

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Wrong guy.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  21. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Not really...

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Fair enough!

Darrin L. likes this.
  23. fini

fini Forum Resident

Just bought the 2017 set on Amazon. Excellent deal ($39). Is there a consensus on the best cd version? The cds linked on the 2017 vinyl page is from 2014.

24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I also have the hi Rez download from the GH site a few years ago. Curious how this $39 vinyl purchase will compare to that.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

One day this song will turn up on Early Takes Volume 2 ....

SixOClockBoos likes this.