George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

It's the 50th anniversary of you know what but it could also be a busy year with Let It Be, Paul and John archive releases. Even Ringo could legitimately release a couple archive albums.

Starting up a speculation thread on what Olivia and Dhani could offer us from the vaults. Or not offer us at all.

Frankly with a true gem or two (Cosmic Empire anyone?) still in the vaults, oodles of session alternates and several acoustic demos yet to be officially heard, I can't imagine missing this opportunity with a 50th anniversary release of All Things Must Pass.

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Don’t see the Harrison Estate wanting to compete with the likes of the Ringo the 4th vinyl reissue. Clearly ATMP just wouldn’t have the firepower to go up against something like that...

GuyADJ, Vinyldood, Sargon and 70 others like this.
  3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

You'd think it's an obvious sit-back-and-make-money opportunity for Liv and Dhani, but after the positive reaction to Early Takes Vol 1 and the lack of a Vol 2, I've got no idea what their plan is.

4. omikron

You're right.

Nothing can stop that juggernaut.

Mr. Gort, tear down this thread!

BEBOPALULA, Sargon, audiotom and 24 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Trying to get my hopes up, when you know that I have been waiting about 8 years for Early Takes Volume 2 ... ;)

GuyADJ, Floater, Clonesteak and 18 others like this.
  6. Since I have alternate takes of Wah-Wah and The Art Of Dying, all I want is unreleased Apple Jam stuff. I could go for a big box of everything, as well.

joelee and omikron like this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' Sentimental Journey -- 50th Anniversary Box Set : includes original 1970 album , remixed version by Giles Martin , three bonus albums of alternate takes and previously unreleased outtakes and a 200 page glossy book with session notes and photos and a one paragraph essay by Ringo.

GuyADJ, alanbeat, pobbard and 16 others like this.
  8. Triss

Triss Dark Horse

Maybe just another stupidly priced Vinyl box set with no extras.....the Harrison Estate really don’t want to give fans anything. They couldn’t even give us the proper Somewhere in England, or at the very least, put the four missing songs on as bonus tracks. Harrison’s back catalogue is treated so poorly, while Egypt Station gets its 27th boxset variation

9. omikron

C'mon fellas. You both know when something George-related gets named Vol. 1, you aren't getting a Vol. 2.

10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

This.

But then again Macca knows how to rip off his fans.

BEBOPALULA, zenarus, SteveM and 9 others like this.
  11. omikron

I can hear the sarcasm in your words. You forgot the 5.1 blu ray.

12. Triss

Triss Dark Horse

Plus 12 postcards of Ringo doing the peace sign, and two posters of Ringo doing the peace sign, and a peace sign keyring, and an instruction guide of how to do your own peace sign at home

13. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I agreed with you until you brought up Egypt Station for no discernible reason. :crazy:

14. Triss

Triss Dark Horse

My point is, one Beatle gets no releases at all, and another Beatle goes well over the top

GuyADJ, bluerondo, aina and 9 others like this.
  15. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Another vinyl rerelease of ATMP with no extras, you ask?

Ask and you will receive. ;)

imajindat, RocksOff87, Sean and 2 others like this.
  16. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

I think at the very least we'd get a replica 'All Things Must Pass' box complete with original inner sleeves, embossed cover and 180g vinyl. If they're smart, they'd use the boxset space to include a bonus LP of outtakes and rarities, even if it's most of the bonus material that George put on the 2001 CD box that he oversaw, it would be the first time that all of it was on vinyl. I can't remember the last time I got the CD box out, but I play the original LPs fairly regularly.

TMegginson and rischa like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But this time, it will be released on 45 rpm discs... :whistle:

Ricardo Cosinaro, Hep Alien and smoke like this.
  18. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Regardless...I would think your grievance would be with Olivia and Dhani, and not McCatney. It appears that your anger is misplaced.

19. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

So what is it about Harrison’s estate that means there’s so much more stuff hidden in the vaults compared to Lennon and McCartney?

Was it something in Harrison’s will, is it a case of Olivia and Dhani being protective over his material, or is it rights issues?

20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...what's the point of restoring the original artwork for "Somewhere In England", but not the original tracklist? Or at least add the discarded tracks as bonus tracks. They stick one of the tracks on "33 1/3", which made absolutely no sense. The whole Dark Horse Years debacle was so woefully incomplete. What little they've released has been shoddy at best. Even "Early Takes Vol. 1" was a skimpy 30 minutes.

21. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

My god, if they've been working on Early Takes Volume 2 for 8 years, it will surely be the best, most awesome volume yet. Given that reality, I say: Don't rush it, Dhani! Take 16 years -- take 32! -- if that's what it takes! We want the best! The biggest! The All Thing Must Pass that's better than just passing! (I mean that in the, um, academic sense, not in the kidney-stone sense).

22. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

In my opinion, is going to happen. Both Olivia and Dhani knows its a special album and a 50th anniversary is a special event.

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...ok, but I *was* expecting a volume 3.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There was an article in Beatlefan magazine a year or two ago in which Dhani was quoted as saying something to the effect of wanting to focus on his own career rather than spend his time rehashing his Dad's. At first I'm sure that comes off as a bit harsh and even disrespectful but i think I know what he means and find it understandable. but a massive ATMP box would be a great thing: a remixed version and a multidisc outtake set. I truly think that of any ex-Beatle album re-issue, it would garner the most excitement at this point.

25. omikron

32 more years? At that point, rename it All Things Have Passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.