George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I feel like ATMP should be the priority next year along with the Get Back release.

2. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Next year? 2020 is behind us, thank goodness!

longdist01 and bewareofchairs like this.
  3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

It is all getting very congested in Beatleworld.

4. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

It all depends on how Disney sees the upcoming year. Keep in mind that they have dates in late summer that are reserved (hence WB's split digital/theatrical in the US & theatrical/digi-rental outside the US) so there is room to play.
    I think a lot of it has to do with how the lockdowns affect New Zealand, then the UK, and then the US.
    I don't have to worry here in Canada… vaccines are not coming until Christmas, so it won't be a theatrical visit no matter what — but hopefully for the rest of you it will be. :)

It is. Part of that is the delays from 2020 with its anniversaries, and part of that is the drive for new music.
    So far it's likely we have:
    1. Let it Be:50 boxed set
    2. Get Back dvd/blu-ray, with possibly Let it Be included in that or Let it Be:50
    3. Plastic Ono Band: Ultimate Edition
    4. All Things Must Pass boxed set
    5. Ram half-speed master LP for RSD
    6. Wild Life half-speed master LP for RSD
    7. new Ringo EP
    8. new Paul product related to McCartney III
    And the next Archives releases are already finished and awaiting legal issue resolutions to be released. That makes for a very busy year!

5. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Ha, yeah. Whoops. It's hard to get my head around these releases now *supposedly* coming out this year.

Floater and Haristar like this.
  6. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

It would be very unlikely to release two separate boxsets back to back

ronbow and Haristar like this.
  7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Especially given the pace at which the Harrison Estate has operated...

8. Brian from Canada

But Bangladesh has far less extra material to add: it was a single concert, so at most they have the single for "Bangladesh" which can be added to another set and some soundcheck recordings.
    My suggestion would be to follow Clapton's Slowhand: two discs with the remastered album and extra material added to the end if possible, one disc with the new 5.1 mix, one disc of the film, the two live albums on remastered vinyl, and a book of photos/essay on what made it special.
    Then focus on the next two albums because the can be full of unreleased material.

Beatlesfan123 likes this.
  9. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Don't they have the complete recording of the 2 concerts (afternoon+evening) that day? That's a wealth of material they can release.

jmxw, Elliottmarx, Dr. Pepper and 4 others like this.
  10. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Harrison estate should (in my opinion obviously!) release BOTH Concert for Bangladesh concerts on CD (Hear Me Lord.. Something with Billy singing along from the afternoon performance.. ) and DVD/Blu Ray (they filmed both gigs, for the 2006 DVD, they chose whatever they thought was the best performance) with extra footage from the soundchecks and maybe a doc on how that concert change the landscape for everything that came after. They have another legit HOME RUN in their hands.

11. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Let's not worry too much about a possibly busy year, right? We all remember that 2020 was going to be like that as well, but it turned out a drag :hide:
    Two big George releases in a year? I don't think it will happen, but I'll be glad if it does.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    BlueJay likes this.
  12. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I hate to say it but I don't think 2021 is going to be 'business as usual'. Like last year, there are going to be further delays and further postponements of release dates. Newer artists will be reluctant to put out records until they can tour them. Older 'legacy' artists opting for 'big' deluxe reissues will encounter problems with production and manufacturing. Trying to predict when releases will happen, both for record companies and for record buyers, may be fun but it's a futile exercise since, as we well know, even announced dates are not always reliable. I remain optimistic for some great releases this year but I wouldn't be surprised if many get pushed to the 3rd and 4th quarter.

jlf likes this.
  13. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

Yeah, let's hope for the best of course, but keeping our feet on the ground.

14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

True, George should take a back seat again and let the others have their way.

ronbow likes this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

A Concert for Bangladesh deluxe set might face some of the same label red tape that the original release faced. While some of these issues probably disappeared because of consolidation in the recording industry, Dylan's performances still need approval from Sony, etc.

ronbow likes this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I would be so down for that!

17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I could picture something like this for the deluxe set:

Disc 1: Afternoon concert
    Disc 2: Evening concert
    Disc 3: Band rehearsals
    Disc 4: Remixed single and studio outtakes, Ronnie Spector sessions
    Blu-ray: Remastered film, outtakes, rehearsals, Dick Cavett interview

Who Cares, marmalade166 and Floater like this.
  18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Nooooo!

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

They did it back in 2006, and they could do it here.

BeatleJWOL and vitorbastos123 like this.
  20. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Blu-Ray/4K of both filmed performances in one box which would include the illusive "Hear Me Lord".....now that sounds like a winner to me....Plus it must include all the extras the 2006 DVD reissue contained!

Who Cares and vitorbastos123 like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

But they still have to see the Gypsy. :)

Who Cares, Floater, BlueJay and 2 others like this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I mostly just wanted to make that little reference but now I've actually thought about the situation a bit. In 2006 they were able to get a bonus Dylan performance for the CD and the soundcheck bit for the DVD.

Plus, if the deluxe doesn't come out by 2021, the recordings could fall into the public domain anyway...

23. Brian from Canada

I agree. Where I work, we're already looking at postponing our late 2021 plans, as that a big portion of our population won't be vaccinated until 2022.
    Plus, there's the fact that so many people will be out of work once the stimulus/support starts disappearing, etc. You don't want to be marketing to an audience that needs to find a job first.

24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That Government grant in the UK to support the purchase of super deluxe editions to help kick-start the economy was a work of genius. Have you all sent off for your vouchers?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I've never committed identity theft before, but for that I might be tempted.

dormouse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.