George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Paul really needs to get on with London Town / Back To the Egg

Once those are re-issued we have everything that didn't originally come out on CD / digitally

905, longdist01, Wingsfan2012 and 3 others like this.
  2. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Paul's solo music (along with wings) is just absolutely bland and boring.

I really hope the Harrison estate delivers to fans, at least for ATMP

AwaitingOnYouAl and No Bull like this.
  3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Thanks for not painting with a broad brush!:biglaugh:

In kind:

John's solo music is half baked ideas that he hopelessly tries to get across with his lady screaming nonsense throughout.

Ringo's solo music is like the attempt of a frog to fly, not gonna happen!

George's solo music is like going to a sermon that no one wants to attend, and it's boring too.

Anyway, all of that has a small grain of truth and a lot of myth thrown on top. These four individual's were unique in that they were with the biggest band in the world and each found there own way to have a nuanced an worthwhile solo career as well.

My real thoughts:

John's POB, Imagine, and Double Fantasy sessions were each completely different from each other and yet all classics in their own way. My life is enhanced by John's solo work! I know he would have come up with even more epic works if he wasn't taken from us 40 years ago and at least 40 years too soon!

Ringo's Sentimental Journey, Ringo, Stop And Smell The Roses, Time Takes Time, Vertical Man, Ringorama, etc. Are fun suprisingly wonderful listens that are worth spending time with and surprise me that the drummer from the band could have such a prolific and engaging solo career. Love the new single, Here's To The Nights!

Paul's McCartney, Ram, Red Rose Speedway (double album version), Band On The Run, Venus and Mars, Tug Of War, Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run, Chaos, Electric Arguments, Ocean's Kingdom, Complete Kisses including Live at Capitol, New, Egypt Station, and McCartney III are diverse inventive wondrous albums that are treasured and enjoyed by millions! His newest album McCartney III is a wonderful gift and one of the very few great things to come from 2020.

George's Wonderwall Music, All Things Must Pass, Living In The Material World, 33 1/3, eponymous album, Gone Troppo, Cloud Nine, and Brainwashed are all unique epic musical experiences that we can journey on with George even after his passing. His life and music were truly a blessing. and I am so looking forward to the remix of ATMP.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

True. Although I would love to hear a remaster of MAF with a bit of decompression....

And it would be nice to have all the Chaos & Creation b-sides collected on one disc...

Etc...

:-popcorn:

5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

You mean like Extra Texture and Somewhere in England?

Trader Joe likes this.
  6. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I don't see either being as expensive or rare as Wings 1971-1973 because (1) there isn't as many discs required, (2) the printed material won't be as large, and (3) it won't be as heavy to package and ship. Plus, Wings 1971-1973 wasn't as expensive as one thinks, given that you would already be buying the two regular editions that ate up most of the total. That set was actually reasonable in pricing, all things considered.

Actually, Paul isn't the one on that goes differently, as the Harrison camp has done some expensive reissues like the Concert for George box. But, overall, I would agree on Plastic Ono Band being slightly more expensive than Imagine due to more discs but no added printed material, whereas All Things Must Pass will likely equate in cost to one of Paul's standard Archives / The Beatles:50. The real question for me is how expensive Let it Be:50 will be, given the amount of potential material for that – such as whether the film will be in there or be separate in cost – but I also think it will hinge somewhere around the same price as Beatles:50 and the standard Archive. (Flaming Pie was able to go a bit higher because of different print stock and all the extras that were inserted.)

Wings 1977-1980 would be more expensive but then again it will likely mimic the previous set in having two large full sets (London Town and Back to the Egg) with an added bonus disc (Wings Second Tour).

7. Brian from Canada

I was referencing Live at the BBC when they are offering Ringo some fruit. ("Hey Ringo, have a banana!")
    But, yes, I think Universal is greatly underestimating the number of Beatles fans that want a pair of Ringo sets – one of his Apple years and one of his later years.
    At the very least, it would get his entire catalogue out there, which EMI had desired when Photograph came out and never followed up on.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Ye
    Yes and yes!!!!!!!! I'd take those two above anything else at this point![/QUOTE]

9. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Oh geez, here we go....

Some people like Paul's music. Some don't. Some people like George's music. Some don't. Some think they both made great and bad music.

It's all fine. Can we move on please?

10. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I imagine at some pt we will get deluxe issues of those as well

The vinyl of MAF is not compressed and sounds great

ted321 likes this.
  11. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

That all might be true. But IMO, even if the ATMP and POB box sets are not quite as expensive as the Wings box set was, and the most expensive versions of each are priced somewhere between, say, $150-$250 each, I still think that’s a lot to ask for people to pay if they’re released mere weeks apart (especially in the COVID economy most of us are in now). So I would still expect these to be released about 2-4 months apart, at a minimum.

12. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I agree on the vinyl of MAF not being as compressed. Although it is oddly packaged in the PVC sleeve with poster. I bought it years ago on clearance.

13. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Maybe I’m Amazed” and I had a good laugh about that.

Laughed so hard we never even got to anything else.

905, jmxw and Floater like this.
  14. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

I like most of the solo Fabs work from 1970 onward. Each solo member had a dip in the quality of their own solo material such as John in 1972, Paul in mid 1980's, George in 1974/1975, and Ringo in the mid to late 1970's. All I know that in the body of their solo work, there is plenty to enjoy than not.

longdist01, mrjinks, wodence and 2 others like this.
  15. Beatlesfan123

Beatlesfan123 Picking Apple Scruffs

Yes

16. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Maybe Paul sent him a copy of Mc III to play in his cell??? Sorry Arnie could not resist!

17. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Enough...…..take your Paul bashing elsewhere, we have enough of it on the SHF...………………:hide:

905, Beatlesfan123 and Floater like this.
  18. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

So, people are only allowed to say good things about Paul?

Actually it mostly seems the other way around, with every other thread having a comment about how wonderful some dreadful album of his is.

Beatlesfan123 likes this.
  19. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

Paul is obviously a capable musician but his music overall blows.

Music is of subjective taste.

Also, this is a George thread.

Beatlesfan123 and oboogie like this.
  20. Brian from Canada

Sales and concertgoers may disagree.

Which comes back to the same thing. All Things Must Pass is a masterpiece that will definitely catch the attention of critics and fans. Concert for Bangladesh has the historical value. But once you slide into the next few, it becomes harder to justify beyond the diehard Harrison fans how the album will be improved (beyond the obvious missing 74 tour recordings). Similarly, what happens when you get to George Harrison? Somewhere In England we know was a double, Gone Troppo is a sleeper and Cloud 9 really strong, but there are dips in quality throughout George's catalogue too.

It all depends on preference. What is interesting, however, is how the catalogues of the former Beatles are handled. Yoko started with the unreleased demos and best works in progress, and now finds she is down to mixes and different takes — with albums that, even when asked for covers, don't get attention like the first two. Paul is bouncing around his catalogue, but each time is demonstrating that there is a whole lot more behind it that makes the album often all that much more enjoyable as a musical experience. Which direction will the Harrisons take?

It has to be better than Eric Clapton. Once you get past Cream, the only deep dives he's done are Layla, 461 Ocean Boulevard and Slowhand. For a guy who was apparently quite prolific in exploring the way the songs went and doing in-studio jams, you'd think we'd have more by now. Hell, I am still upset that nobody's told him to do a 30th anniversary set of releases from 24 Nights!

longdist01 and jmxw like this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, it is an interesting question, how upcoming GH releases will be handled. I could see them abandoning the "anniversary" obligations after ATMP and CFB.

I mean, the ATMP "50th anniversary" edition is showing up in the wrong calendar year already, so it would not be too difficult to see them just going with the flow and doing up Cloud Nine or Traveling Wilburys next, ala the McCartney Archive series. [Followed by the "Live In 1974" set...]

The LenOno camp hasn't embraced anniversaries either [aside from POB which, like ATMP, is arriving in the wrong calendar year]...

22. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Good point. I really can't see them pushing out anniversary issues as if they were some kind of requirement. The pandemic has already messed up that plan. A more random schedule would be more enjoyable. Olivia has already said that she particularly likes Gone Troppo so I wouldn't be surprised if a deluxe edition of that was high up win their list.

Wingsfan2012, jmxw and ronbow like this.
  23. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

George's demos and early takes have typically been highly enjoyable, so I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to make re-releases of future albums worthwhile. Though I suspect they're more likely to do one big rarities type set.

omikron likes this.
  24. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

Do they even do those anymore?

vitorbastos123 and Arnold Grove like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You mean Early Takes Volume One wasn't big enough for you? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.