George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Fingers crossed for Friday.

Maybe an EP with a remix, a demo, and an alternate take?

autumn daze, JimBop and longdist01 like this.
  2. JimBop

JimBop Forum Resident

and a bauble

omikron, longdist01 and Haristar like this.
  3. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

All Things Must Pass is by far my favourite on the album, so I’m really excited to hear what they’ve done with the remix. Any bonuses would be very welcome too!

4. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

Tonight at Midnight

[​IMG]

mrjinks, Lovich, Yorick and 20 others like this.
  5. Haristar

Hopefully we'll get an announcement to go along with it tomorrow.

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  6. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

Pretty good remix overall, much less reverb than in the original mix (I'd even say there's no reverb at all), the horns and backing vocals are really brought forward, but IMO too much treble. It goes well along the Gimme Some Truth remixes.
    [​IMG]

7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

If I remember correctly, they're both Hicks, yes?

8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Oh boy. This is really happening!
    For you Spotifiers out there, here's a little something to get you going until midnight: All Things Must Pass Naked, which collects all the available demos / acoustic takes on Spotify.

All Things Must Pass Naked, a playlist by Nuno Bento on Spotify

omikron likes this.
  9. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

Mixer: Paul Hicks
    Mastering: Alex Wharton

10. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

The AMTP remix just dropped on Spotify here in Australia. George's vocal is much more upfront but the piano has been reduced way too much. It didn't seem to be a balanced mix through speakers. Sounded better through headphones. Maybe that was the brief! Overall, not really that much difference or improvement (source limitations perhaps?). It will be interesting to hear how the other tracks come up. Definitely some challenges there for Paul Hicks.

11. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

Not playing over here in the US...

Anyone? They took it down off Youtube.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It's up on YouTube. If it's not Friday yet where you are, a VPN will do the trick.

Still one of my favorite songs ever written, but I can't say that the remix provides any particular revelation after one listen.

theMess, ponkine, andrewskyDE and 5 others like this.
  13. Haristar

Listening to it right now using a VPN.

The vocals have indeed been brought way forward and are clearer than ever. There's way less reverb too. Overall I like it.

Makes me feel good about the other potential remixed tracks - Awaiting On You All in particular would really benefit. :D

14. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

I have a Spector-less AOYA if you want to hear it:

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Hopefully there will be a disc of alternates of each of the tracks similar to this one.

16. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I am certain the release of the stripped down title track and recent “copyright dump” are solid indicators of a full set reissue box. They wouldn’t go to all that work for a single track, imo. I am praying we at least get an official announcement during the next several days!

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I hope we get 2-3 discs of such outtakes when the box set comes out. I love the outtakes discs that came with Imagine (Ultimate Collection) and with Paul Hicks at the helm, we might get similar stuff on ATMP.

18. crossroads69

There must some announcement coming tomorrow. It would be strange to quietly release a brand new 2020 remix of the title track and not say anything about it. I hope it’s just a small preview of what’s to come and we get more details soon!

jricc, autumn daze, Who Cares and 5 others like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

True. I hope so too.

And I'm still wondering if the "My Sweet Lord"/"Isn't It A Pity" Record Store Day vinyl 45 will be new remixes or the original mixes.

If they are new remixes of "My Sweet Lord"/"Isn't It A Pity", then that would likely indicate a fully remixed ATMP album is in the works, awaiting a release date (hopefully early 2021).

But if they are the original mixes, I don't know why they'd release a remix of the song "All Things Must Pass" on the same day as releasing the original mixes of "My Sweet Lord"/"Isn't It A Pity". :shrug:

jmxw, Who Cares, omikron and 4 others like this.
  20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

If the 7” is new mixes I’ll be ordering one at 6pm tomorrow

21. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Yes, I agree with you 100 percent. But you never know with the Harrison camp. Maybe Black Friday single will be new mix, the same as Instant Karma RSD single was!

Arnold Grove likes this.
  22. crossroads69

If the RSD single features remixes, then both the label and the Harrison estate have done a terrible job of letting fans know that. There is certainly no way that they would take the trouble of getting Paul Hicks to remix the title track and have it mastered by Alex Wharton if there wasn’t a bigger project planned. I guess it’s just a matter of when now...

Arnold Grove and omikron like this.
  23. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Would love to get a copy whether it is new mixes or not, but I never have off on Black Friday (fortunately, I guess) so I always wind up missing the sales and none of the record stores near me are participating this year, so I’ll wind up paying double on ebay. But fingers crossed for news of an anniversary set tomorrow.

24. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

25. bigdoug920

bigdoug920 Forum Resident

Here's the press release I just received from UMe:

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of George Harrison's classic solo album, All Things Must Pass, the George Harrison Estate is pleased to announce a new 2020 stereo mix of the LP’s title song as a prelude of what’s to come.

The new stereo mix of the seminal album’s title track was overseen by multi- GRAMMY® Award winner, Paul Hicks, known for his work with the Harrison Estate, The Beatles and this year’s chart-topping albums by The Rolling Stones (Goat’s Head Soup) and John Lennon (Gimme Some Truth).

“The new stereo mix of the album's title track is just a taste of more things to come in 2021 as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of my father's legendary All Things Must Pass album,” says Dhani Harrison. “We've been digging through mountains of tapes, and they just kept coming – boxes and boxes of them. Making this album sound clearer was always one of my dad’s greatest wishes and it was something we were working on together right up until he passed. But with the help of new technology and the work of Paul Hicks on this project, we are now able to make that happen. We can't wait for you all to hear everything we've been working on and your patience will be rewarded next year.”

Originally released fifty years ago today on November 27, 1970, All Things Must Pass, the triple LP produced by Phil Spector, includes “My Sweet Lord,” the first number one single by a solo Beatle. It was critically acclaimed and topped both the UK and US album charts, with Rolling Stone calling it “the War and Peace of rock and roll” and “an intensely personal statement and a grandiose gesture.” Over time the influence of the album has only grown as subsequent generations have discovered it. The album has been inducted into the GRAMMY® Hall Of Fame, included in Rolling Stone magazine’s Top 500 albums of all time, as well as The Times of London’s 100 best albums.

The release of “All Things Must Pass (2020 Mix)” marks the beginning of celebrations for this historic album. Stay tuned for more All Things Must Pass 50th anniversary release details beginning in 2021.

Continuing the All Things Must Pass celebrations, in partnership with Record Store Day's Black Friday event, the Harrisons are also releasing George Harrison’s “My Sweet Lord” on a 7” Milky Clear Single, individually numbered, exclusive to Record Store Day. This is a recreation of the Angola pressing of the 45 from 1970 with unique artwork. "My Sweet Lord" was originally released in November 1970 as a single, Harrison's first as a solo artist, and topped charts worldwide; it was the biggest-selling single of 1971 in the UK. In America and Britain, the song was the first number one single by an ex-Beatle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.