George Harrison in 1974: Why Did He Decide To Tour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Sadly, :agree:

2. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I mean, would you really want to stand on a roof in January in England to play music? I sure as hell wouldn't. I hate playing music when I'm cold.

Sean, DrBeatle, Oatsdad and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I
    I was there too in real time and completely agree with your assessment.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  4. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

George's voice sounded like Louis Armstrong and he wishes he could sing like he did on "Dark Horse" more often. Put that in your pipe and smoke it "Dark Horse" detractors. :uhhuh:

From a 1979 press conference...

5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Wow..."What is Life" is God awful, but the "Dark Horse" performance looks and sounds great, but then it was more suited for his voice at the time.

edrebber, Sean, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep. I'll bet Bob Dylan loves the voice he's had for the last several years. :doh:

Naughty Chord likes this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

His voice is clearly hurting during What Is Life, but Billy Preston pitches in to cover for that, the band sounds good, in my opinion, and when the camera cuts to a shot from behind the stage, you see many people in the audience dancing and clapping in the aisles. The surviving footage from the tour shows the audiences enjoying themselves.

Sean, theMess, Vic_1957 and 2 others like this.
  8. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

That makes sense - what they thought was a heart attack was flu. I just wish my appreciation for Indian music was more developed back in those days because, even minus Ravi, his musicians were absolute giants. All I remember distinctly is the Alla Rakha tabla solo.

ParloFax likes this.
  9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's cool, but I think I like the studio version better... :shrug:

10. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

It's not as simple as playing music though. It's The Beatles playing live for the first time in years, in January, when they mentally would rather be somewhere else. The Delaney & Bonnie tour was fun for him precisely because it was like going back to the pre-fame Beatle days. The high expectations of being a Beatle weren't there.

Naughty Chord and Spencer R like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Which is the same approach Paul took with the first Wings university tour.

MitchLT and Paulwalrus like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

George was always kind of a curmudgeon - it was just his personality even from childhood. I think he enjoyed a lot of Beatledom more than he wanted to let on.

John was hot and cold - he'd get very enthusiastic about projects and then turn sour. Also just the way he was!

I do love that John tosses out an "Any Time At All" reference at the end of that clip! :D

13. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Everybody else wanted too.

Man at C&A and Paulwalrus like this.
  14. Oatsdad

That's because he recorded "Dark Horse" when his voice was already shot, whereas "Life" comes from when his voice was good.

Back in 2004 or so, my friend and I saw Dylan. She prepped with some then-recent albums, I prepped with the 60s/70s stuff.

I thought Dylan sounded horrible, she thought he sounded fine - all because she was prepared for 2000s Dylan's voice and I wasn't.

Same with those 2 songs. If GH's voice wasn't already in a precarious state when he did "DH", it'd have sounded like crap, too! :)

15. Oatsdad

Dunno how people viewed it at the time, but Macca's approach to live performing was brilliant.

Build slowly - and borderline anonymously - with smaller shows before you attempt major tours.

Clearly that worked well, as by the time Wings came to the US, they were a well-oiled machine and Paul had tons of frontman experience.

George threw himself into big US shows right off the bat. Good for $$$ - those university shows didn't pay! :D - but not so good for the experience and his legacy...

16. Oatsdad

George also did that brief Japan tour in 1991 and then the one-off 1992 show at the RAH.

No, he didn't play a lot, but he played more than just those 4 times...

Paulwalrus likes this.
  17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

George was recently divorced, and probably needed an immediate pay day from something to which Pattie was not eligible to benefit from at all.

Maybe he also viewed his music career in need of a fresh start post-divorce and thought he'd get some inspiration from being on the road briefly with Billy etc.

The one live George show I'm shocked never happened was a Wilburys show. One concert, in LA? How did they not pull that off. Could have been for charity. Maybe it was one of those things they thought "we'll get around to it someday" but then Roy died, and Bob seemed to lose interest, so that was that. Still, a Live Wilburys album in 1991/92 could have been amazing, even without Roy—Maybe even with Ringo and some of the Heartbreakers in the backing band.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  18. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

There was also a gig he did in Henley in the late 1970s, the 1986 Birmingham show, and several gigs with his friends where he popped up. There are many documented instances of George playing in front of a crowd of people, but they weren't "official" gigs.

theMess and Oatsdad like this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you want to hear what the song Dark Horse would have sounded like if George had recorded before his voice went down the toilet:

(You can hear his voice is starting to go, but it's OK here).

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If we were going to have only 2 surviving ex Beatles for a period a lot longer than The Beatles' run, it is a blessing that we have 2 that have been more consistently psyched about making music, both live and in the studio, than the others were during th eir time as ex-Beatles.

Sean, Rob Hughes and DrBeatle like this.
  21. canadian73

canadian73 Forum Resident

I was both in awe with first seeing my first Beatle, and quite underwhelmed by the show itself. I liked the new album and single though.

Same with me

22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It was NOT a good show. GH's voice was in poor shape, the show lacked urgency, he occasionally exhorted us to chant "Hari Krishna". And Billy Preston's incredible numbers only highlighted the mediocrity of the rest of the show. It was only the last song of the main set, "What Is Life?", when Harrison really seemed to sound inspired.

MungoMusic and DrBeatle like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, I don't know why people have such a problem believing that the '74 tour was craptastic. By pretty much every contemporary account, it was.

I knew people who went to the concert. At the time, we were all big Beatles fans. The next day I asked how it was: "It kind of sucked, and it was really long."

24. DrBeatle

Hah, that would suck. In my younger days when I was a in a band playing outside was the WORST with cold hands, just brutal. I was referencing more George's almost perpetually grumpy persona toward everything, especially during that period.

25. DrBeatle

Fair point. Those happen to be the two Beatles I've seen in concert, too (Paul in 2013 and 2016, Ringo in 2014...all three shows were great).

Rfreeman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.