George Harrison in 1974: Why Did He Decide To Tour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panther, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Given how bad George sounded in the little clip of one show the estate allowed out in the LITMW doc, it is a pretty safe bet that he sounded objectively terrible throughout these shows. If there was a part where he sounded better I am sure Olivia would have put that out instead.

Can't say I particularly "admire" George for making rock fans sit through an Indian music segment either. One of many egomaniacal moves he ironically made in the name of enlightenment.

2. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

For those wondering, Geogr Harrison recorded video and audio professionally , including a lot of backstage footage, in at least four different cities. Both afternoon and evening concerts.

-Toronto (The footage of What Is Life is from the evening, Dispute and Violence from afternoon)
    -Landover
    -Detroit
    -Both MSG gigs (there’s a bit of footage in the LTMW documentary, George and Billy dancing up and down having fun is from the evening concert).

I have no problem with his voice and the way he played the songs. I actually really liked What Is Life funky version with Billy! There’s a marvelous studio version and another live version from Japan that we can enjoy.
    My problem is that he decided to play some dog awful tunes like Sue Me Sue You Blues instead of masterpieces like Here Comes The Sun, Beware Of Darkness, or even great songs that would worked live like Old Brown Shoe.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Elliottmarx, RAZORMADE and Spencer R like this.
  3. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

So he has to always fit what you want? Why? He’s not allowed to express himself the way he wants to. That’s a pretty entitled attitude.

painted8 and 905 like this.
  4. I was a big fan of George himself, including his solo albums thus far. Not very attentive to the (Ravi-less) Indian music played before the GH part - perhaps or not because of the hockey rink context, or because I was crusing the room for a deserted better seat, in prevision of GH. It offended me a little that he sang "I love God more" at the end "of In My Life"... Then I've never been a fan of star-studded concert stages... Billy probably did a great show, but I wasn't a fan either of that style.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  5. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Bad

kwadguy, Trader Joe and Mickey2 like this.
  6. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

I was so surprised when I heard bootlegs from this tour and it was ragged and really rocked. I like it a lot. They should do a release of it.

TaumpyTears and Spencer R like this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He seemed to care about the reviews his tour got. If he wanted positive reviews and wanted people to want to see him more than once, it would be a good idea to play music that people wanted to hear.

He obviously didnt have to do what I or anybody else wanted, I just feel no admiration for a pop star trying to shove unpopular music down his fans throats.

Ryan Lux and internetcurmudgeon like this.
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Very interesting; I can't help but think it's a shame that he didn't bounce back and tour again once in better voice. I would certainly have loved to have a 1975 live tour document from George, singing recent solo songs from the time.

9. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Just to clarify, I was responding to Panther and asking why he thought those shows had "aged very well." I know they weren't very good at the time (I attended one of them), but also wonder if they would seem better now, which is what he seemed to imply.

10. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Felt like it, I guess.

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

No one was forced to buy a ticket to see George, and the promotion for the tour made it clear that Shankar was part of the show. I hardly think anyone who had been paying attention since Within You Without You (or had listened to the Bangladesh live album, on which Shankar appeared) was too surprised that the shoe featured Shankar.

[​IMG]

12. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

This is really awful.

Lost In The Flood and kwadguy like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I suppose not misleading people is more admirable than making it a surprise penalty. But I'm not gonna say it rises to the level of admirable.

Now postponing shows when he was too hoarse to sing might have been an admirable move.

Ryan Lux, Sidewinder43 and AnalogJ like this.
  14. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Seems like a missed opportunity that he didn't pull out one of his sitar based Beatle tunes with Shankar like The Inner Light, Love You To or Within You Without You.

15. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

George Harrison's living in the past is a number 1 album that people purchased because he was a BEATLE. Played it it went on the shelf in my tribe. Years later resurrected as a great album because well I don't know. I Think its lame myself and I purchased it in 1973.
    Not unlike some other Beatle solo albums. McCartney first one comes to mind.

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Trying the right words to say what i think of this...
    :whistle:

17. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

That's a good looking promo poster! I would never know it was from 1974. Almost seems modern. :agree:

Ryan Lux, pantofis, jeremylr and 3 others like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yeah that is odd. I'm sure it would have gone over a lot better if he gave folks something familiar to latch onto.

George touring with Ravi as part of the show was actually sort of similar to John pushing Yoko as part of his live shows.

Which ironically George was so against that he did not include John at Bangla Desh.

edrebber likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I sort of admired him for promoting his friend, Mr. Shankar. I don't generally go to see the opening act anyway. Being exposed to the Indian music was interesting to me. Not a highlight, mind you, but interesting.

frightwigwam likes this.
  20. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I don't like how poorly he re-wrote some of the song lyrics.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, he certainly didn't do it like this when we saw him. It was similar to the studio recording - upbeat and inspirational. But you can hear how much of a mess his voice was. He sounds closer to Joe Cocker than himself. ;-)

22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

My brother was planning on going the St. Louis show but word had gotten out that his voice was shot and so he bailed. I think in retrospect he regrets not going.

edrebber likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It would have been a bit more "admirable" to make him an opening act people could skip by arriving late.

George put Ravi's set in the middle of his show.

Ryan Lux and edrebber like this.
  24. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I might be wrong, so somebody please correct me (if you were there too), I think Ravi's section happened in the middle of the show, not as an opening act. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  25. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

I'd say it was a no1 album based on

• the huge success of All Things Must Pass
    • the initial critical acclaim and hype for the album
    • the fact that people really liked the Give Me Love
    more so than him being a Beatle. The fact that it probably did not live up to these expectations meant it lacked longevity in the charts.

edrebber and bigbass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.