George Harrison: The Reluctant Beatle - book by Philip Norman*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Attila the Professor, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Bnk

Bnk Forum Resident

Ooof! I wasn`t expecting that last sentence. Tell us how you really feel..! But,yeah,looks like a trash job.

2. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

I don't think Ruby would've taken her love to town if she knew Kenny had a spread like that!

petem1966, Fred1, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yep. :D

I guess Kenny knew when to hold ‘em. :p

4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Victimhood is en vogue these days, so I can see them trying to pander to those who are into that sort of thing.

I can see those guys needling each other relentlessly over just about anything really but I don’t think George ever spoke of resentment towards the others over his background.

5. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Now that George is out of the way, I eagerly anticipate Norman's bio of Ringo.

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Norman is going to be Harrison's Goldman :D

Bnk likes this.
  7. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

Norman has no coherence in tone nor judgement from one biog to the next, except for the unerring manner whereby he shoehorns in large chunks of 'but enough about them, here's more about me' autobiographical anecdote. George was in many ways the most naturally Scouse of the four of them, at least up to the mystical/Dylan absorption, so that's one thing one ought to hope that Norman attempts to explore. I fear, though, that this will be yet another re-evaluation of what he wrote about George in the McCartney book, and previously the Lennon book, and previously Shout. If you've read more than one of them you're simply left wondering if there's anything happening in his head other than a small dog chasing its own tail.

8. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

No thank you. I already know exactly what angle a guy like Norman is gonna take.

theMess and Fabsmith like this.
  9. 905

905 Senior Member

McCartney is my favorite artist of all time, and I own the Norman book. But the only thing I remember from it is that Paul has doe eyes, and he has hairy legs that liked to get petted. :(

Ms. Daisy and theMess like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

hey! I'll give it a shout!; )

11. Ramblin'Roon

Ramblin'Roon Forum Resident

His obituary for George Harrison is absolutely bonkers and I'm curious as to how he'll square that. Sure, he was famously "pro John" but he seems something bordering on hate for Harrison.

Check it out if you haven't...

Philip Norman's obituary for George Harrison

12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

It’s amazing how much someone can research and study the Beatles and yet not know or understand them at all.

13. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Wow, what a complete a--hole. Unbelievable. smh

theMess and longdist01 like this.
  14. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

You’re paraphrasing Jasper Carrott not John Lennon.

theMess and AppleCorp3 like this.
  15. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

This. 100% truth.

Ramblin'Roon likes this.
  16. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Not for me. I think Norman is a joke and a disservice to biography. I just don't think it can be any good. Reading those paragraphs about the book, on the Amazon web site, made me think that I would never want to read this.

2141 likes this.
  17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

From the blurb:

“He was often the butt of jokes from his bandmates owing to his lower-class background and, typically, was allowed to contribute only one or two songs per Beatles album out of the dozens he wrote.”

I haven’t read all the books, but are there documented examples of the others making fun of George’s upbringing?
    Also, the bit about not be *allowed to contribute more than 1-2 songs per album is just wrong.

18. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

There may be a salient point or two in there, but an obit is no place for such commentary. I hated Shout, I'll pass on this one.

19. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

What information, if any, was found to be inaccurate on the book Shout by Philip Norman ?

20. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

You really don't know, and don't have the energy or access to search it out? I'm asking on behalf of an exhausted butler.

Bnk likes this.
  21. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

Another book on The Beatles/a Beatle. Just what we all need.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Someone pointed out to me in the past how sexist Norman is with the way he implies negatives through the use of many feminine descriptive terms for Paul - as if he had less talent than John because he was “pretty”.

Norman should have gone into fiction instead of producing this sort of sensationalist nonsense - he clearly has a decent way with words, it’s just a huge shame that he twists the truth and loves speaking through hyperbole.

His obituary for George says more about Norman than anything else; a petty and jealous man who claims to love the Beatles but seemingly can’t get over his envy when it comes to discussing the individuals in the group.

bewareofchairs, Ian S and forthlin like this.
  23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I believe that any true biography for any of the four would be extremely difficult to write given the scale and nuance needed. Norman is a sensationalist and biased hack and certainly isn’t up for the job. George deserves a LOT better.

24. 905

905 Senior Member

Even there he mentions McCartney's "great cow eyes."

25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Utterly ludicrous, the man is obsessed. :rolleyes:

905 likes this.