George Harrison, "You"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I've turned up some great George session info since Eight Arms To Hold You was published and can offer a few clarifications regarding the All Things Must Pass outtakes.

Both 'Dehra Dun' and "Going Down To Golder's Green' were recorded on May 26th, 1970. 'Gopala Krishna' was tracked on June 24th. 'Get Back' was taped on July 1st, 1970 as was 'Down To The River' .

As for 'You', the basic track was recorded during the Ronnie Spector sessions. The only thing I know for certain is that an acetate containing two stereo mixes was cut on February 9, 1971. The song was not attempted during the sessions for All Things Must Pass.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Interesting that both of them seem to have been caught after the song started. Were they part of a serious session, or was everyone just having some fun?

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Krishna help me, I am now contemplating an Extra Texture song-by-song discussion once I'm done with Goats Head Soup. @slane @Arnold Grove others...whaddya think?

paolo, Fred68 and slane like this.
  4. tages

tages Senior Member

I would be all over that. My favourite George LP and one of my absolute favourite 70's LPs, period.

[​IMG]

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I remember you did a wonderful post in one of the old Extra Texture discussions- or it might have been in the Harrison album-by-album discussion. I'm seriously considering doing the ET song-by-song just for the dozen or so of us here who actually like the album:laugh: Hardest part would be keeping out the trolls and threadcrappers...

WilliamWes, Haristar and tages like this.
  6. tages

tages Senior Member

:righton:
    Thanks man! I’ve been collecting lots of EXTRA TEXTURE promo stuff (T-shirts, posters, vinyl, 8-tracks, badges, even a decal from ‘75) and it’s a good excuse to break it all out again.

Never mind the trolls, EXTRA TEXTURE is the bees knees and some of us know better. :righton:

csnfan, Chief, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

They can be sent to the 'Legs' room.

Calico likes this.
  8. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I would be willing to give it another shot...I actually liked Dark Horse....that was very well recorded. It was my first (ex) Beatle purchase that was bought at time of release. (along with Walls and Bridges).

Bern

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks!

If you know: Was John Lennon actually at the Ronnie Spector sessions and does he appear on "Tandoori Chicken"?

10. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I would look forward to a track-by-track Extra Texture thread. Bring it on.

The day I first bought and listened to Extra Texture was an extremely dark cloudy and rainy day, which for me, added to the experience. The album always reminds me of that, and it's the kind of weather I envision was at Friar Park while George was holed up in his studio there, working on this album! ;):D

tages likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Do a Weakest Link. See if You beats out This Guitar.

12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Just sayin, but I much prefer the song by song discussion than the weakest link approach. And as we've already established upthread, 'Ooh Baby' will win the weakest link shootout :D

somnar, Bern and Rfreeman like this.
  13. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Yes please. This album needs to be re-evaluated.

Some of other George albums that need to be re-evaluated: Dark Horse, Somewhere in England and Gone Troppo.

14. slane

slane Forum Resident

I agree about the weather metaphor, but the album was mostly recorded in LA.

tages likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

If I re-evaluated them, I'd be afraid that I would rate them worse! :hide:

;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  16. Haristar

That is a risk I'm willing to take.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  17. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Thank you, good to know. It's been a while since I've read the liner notes to that one!

18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D

19. Arnold Grove

I do like the Dark Horse album. Instrumentally, I find it to be very good. If his voice was at full capacity, of course, it would be better.

20. Haristar

I hope more "Dark Horse" demos can turn up. George sounds way better on the demo of the title track than he does on the studio version.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Has anyone ever attempted a bleep by blurp analysis of Electronic Sound? Maybe we should address the omissions in chronological order?

22. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Yeah it needs re-evaluating from horrendous to abysmal..worst solo Beatles album bar the experimental albums.. even "Ringo The 4th" is a million times better than "Extra Texture" though "You" is a total classic song but the rest are pure depression inducing rubbish. So please please don't start a thread as that will be just as depressing as the album. All IMHO of course :)

Man at C&A and blutiga like this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

There's a job going as the devils advocate in the song by song discussion? :D

24. Arnold Grove

***Except for his version of "Bye Bye Love". That one is particularly weak, in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    pacealot and Bern like this.
  25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Go for it. We've had our share of Extra Texture discussions, but a different approach would add something to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.