George, Paul and Ringo jamming in 1995 video footage- Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, obviously not every world famous celebrity, both past and present, has complied.

But once again -- I am not suggesting that Paul should have said bad things about Pete Best at the ceremony... no. That would have been a bad thing.
    I'm of the mind that if he didn't really think much of him, he probably shouldn't have said anything. Certainly not say he was "great" (unless Paul actually thinks he was great, of course... in which case I will stand corrected).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I get what you are saying, but I was making a different point, which is that if you are a world wide celebrity, it makes sense to consider what you say, especially when it can be taken out of context so easily by a sometimes desperate and vicious press.

John was more bold and outspoken than Paul, but he also learned to understand how to build an image for himself. I think that he was a talented PR man, who did a great thing by using his fame to advertise world peace, in a way that no-one has done so well since. To this day, people still talk about his 'bed-in' and his 'bagism'. He also respected what he considered to be a PR move from Paul when it came to the McCartney album press release, by saying that he wished that he had done something similar.

I am in no way criticising either John or Paul when I say that they both spent time thinking about their image and how they come across; after all, poor John had to learn the hard way, when his truthful comments about Christianity being less popular with young British people than the Beatles were taken completely out of context and twisted around so that they became an attack on Christianity.

heatherly and She is anyway like this.
  3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Just to attempt an amicable laugh here -- just think about Paul's "Pete was great" statement... that in itself has raised controversial questions! :)

I understand and agree ... but I guess the thrust of what I'm aiming at whenever I talk about Paul's "PR" or "calculating" is basically making it appear that he's "Mr. Nice", even at times where he may not sincerely believe what he's saying.

True, but that's the risk one takes when they take chances. The "Christ statement" was something that needed to be said -- and after all, it was just John's POV. John always said he was uncomfortable always having to smile and play the game when he didn't feel like it.

Much to Paul's credit, you can also see him in some Beatles press conferences voicing his views on certain current events or hot topics. My favorite Paul moment during the '60s might just be the time he stopped the "nice guy" rotuine, and told the news man exactly what he thought about his spreading the news of Paul admitting to having taken LSD.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.