George, Paul and Ringo jamming in 1995 video footage- Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Definitely. But that was Paul's schtick. He couldn't do the mean, moody, magnificent Pete Best, despite being keen.

2. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Bingo.

3. erocky

erocky Senior Member

These guys loved each other. It was a complicated relationship to be sure but come on! You can't go through all of that and not have an intense bond. There is a lot more to Paul's and George's relationship that even the obsessed fans on here know. Personally the jam session was weird anyway I thought. It seemed forced and it did not make the final cut. I personally do not like those sorts of things anyway. I can imagine that it would be hard to perform withouth any reheasing in front of a camera. It had to have a weird sort of pressure.

My guess is that George would have done the Anthology even if he wouldn't have had some sort of financial issues at the time. The Beatles had been talking about doing a documentary for years and years. I love George's interviews on the Anthology. He seemed to be at peace with his past in my view. Free as a Bird and Real Love are also favorites of mine. I loved those songs and George's contibutions to those is pretty huge.

Paulwalrus, JLGB, Shak Cohen and 3 others like this.
  4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

To be fair, it's a case of someone else who was their equal leave alone consider. Was it George Martin in Anthology or George Harrison himself when talking about the number of George Harrison songs on each album said words to the effect of it was difficult getting anything else onto the albums when you had Lennon & McCartney in the band?

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Was this a stipulation of them jamming? No Beatles songs?

7. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I wouldn't read to much in that scene. They are all stoned out of their minds.

mihu and DrBeatle like this.
  8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

George was definitely a lot more fond of Ringo. That would not have to mean he could not stand Paul in 1995. Not to mention, I have never heard anyone not enjoying being around Ringo. Even if you were in a bad mood, you would be nice to Ringo.

DrBeatle likes this.
  9. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

No idea if it was a stipulation but whose would they do? 1 of George's and 5 of Paul's? 1 George, 1 Ringo and still 3 of Paul's? Any of John's? Whichever ratio and choice they made, it would've been George playing second fiddle to Paul on mostly Paul numbers. He'd just spent the past 30 years trying to escape the blotting out the sun shadow of John and especially Paul, musically speaking.

DrBeatle likes this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Maybe Billy Preston could've stopped by in 1995, got everyone to play nice and behave :righton:

11. Jose Jones

And, if you accept Lewisohn's characterization in his book, Ringo was closest to George, and never forgot that it was George who pushed for having Ringo join them.

DrBeatle likes this.
  12. Jose Jones

It doesn't seem to difficult to let each Beatle choose one song each and play 3 songs. But what do I know?

Paulwalrus, JimC and Zeki like this.
  13. DrBeatle

I would say Ringo was probably equally as close to John...hell, except for his spat with Paul in early 1970 leading up to the releases of his album, Paul's, and Let It Be, they've always gotten on well.

Who DOESN'T get on with Ringo?

Paulwalrus, supermd and theMess like this.
  14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Exactly. Ringo got along with all 3...and anyone else on planet earth.

I have often suggested Ringo's greatest contribution to the Beatles was not his drumming (which is amazing), but that he was a calming influence. I think they would have broken up even faster if he had not been in the band.

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

[​IMG]

And I think this guy wanted him "nya" ...

[​IMG]

16. DrBeatle

Great point. His departure in August 1968 certainly seemed to shake some sense into the other 3.

musicfan37, She is anyway and theMess like this.
  17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I was under the impression that John and George were big buddies from 1965-68 (or whenever Yoko entered John's life totally). They tripped together and lived nearby one another.

JimC likes this.
  18. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, in fact that would've been entirely apt. Just seeing the situation from what I believe George's perspective might've been. If I'm right in understanding that it was George's stipulation of no Beatles songs for the jam session, I can understand why he would've been against either doing Paul numbers or Paul 'taking over' George's songs.

JimC likes this.
  19. DrBeatle

One of George's beefs before the Anthology started in earnest in the early 1990s was the fact that the title for Neil Aspinall's aborted film project/history of the band that he started in 1971 was called The Long and Winding Road...apparently this was considered as the title for Anthology but George vetoed it on the grounds that no way in hell would a film about the band's history be named after a Paul song (and this is not just idle speculation on my part...this has been documented by several folks over the years). So it's not too far-fetched to consider than it MIGHT have been stipulated that no Beatles songs were to be played in that impromptu jam.

Mister Charlie and coffeetime like this.
  20. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

No-one has mentioned the influence Linda had on the Threetles. They all seem relaxed and in good spirits posing for the photos she took. And don't forget that George showed up at Linda's funeral in 1998. Whatever his musical differences with Paul in the 90's (unlike Ringo and Jeff Lynne, he didn't contribute to Flaming Pie) I think there has always remained a lifelong bond and respect between the Beatle families.

21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If there was such a stipulation, it might go all the way back to the first dispute over the post-John "reunion." When Neil Aspinall first cut together a rough cut of the Fab's video autobiography, it was a single film called "The Long And Winding Road." When the project was revived in the early 1990s, it was suggested that perhaps the three reunited Beatles would perform that song as a grand finale. George supposedly was adamant that he would not have one of Paul's big ballads stand as the reunion "statement" for the group. So with that idea dead, the title had to be changed to something all four parties could agree on -- hence the exceedingly boring (and logically weird) "Anthology."

theMess and JimC like this.
  22. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Interesting thread. I wasn't award that George had money problems. I need to rewatch this, I watched i when it originally aired here in the 90's.

23. Sean Murdock

Yeah, socially they seemed to be very close, particularly when they were both married and living "in the country" while Paul the bachelor was based in London. John and George had their first acid trip together, and they kind of held that experience over Paul until he finally relented and tried LSD more than a year later. But despite this, John was never terribly encouraging to George musically and, after claiming that he helped George with some early songs up to and including "Taxman," he didn't contribute to his tracks the way Paul (always the team player) did. John probably ignored everyone during his early infatuation with Yoko (and heroin), but his falling out with Paul in 1969 created another opportunity for George, who was pretty tight with John again for a couple of years, until THEY fell out over the Bangladesh concert.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

This is well said. I've noticed Macca getting in some digs at Hari over the years - always apparently light-hearted but leaving a nasty aftertaste. I can remember Paul being quizzed about Give My Regards To Broad Street and how he felt about the rough reception it got. After making a few 'well, I learned a lot' comments, he added: 'George was funny about it. I asked him how he felt about 'Shanghai Surprise' (massive Handmade-funded flop starring Madonna) and he told me: 'It makes Broad Street look like an epic!' The implication being: 'Yeah, I'm fallible sometimes, but look how fallible GEORGE can be!'

This may not, of course, be conscious or deliberate (I actually doubt if it is) but it says a lot about the relationship. And then there's the fact that Paul used the 'baby brother' quote (a description George apparently resented) in his own obit for George.

She is anyway likes this.
  25. Sean Murdock

Remember, "money problems" for a Beatle might not mean the same as it does to you and me ... but yeah, George's manager and HandMade Films partner (Denis O'Brien) bilked George out of many millions of pounds -- which George only discovered around 1991 or 1992. Some will suggest that it's no coincidence that George agreed to do the Anthology around that very same time! Anyway, George sued and won, and was awarded a huge settlement (I forget how much -- somewhere between 10 and 50 million pounds), but he had a hell of a time trying to collect it. The Anthology windfall was certainly welcome at Friar Park -- owning a castle isn't cheap!

theMess, Zeki and Lord Summerisle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.