George/Paul dust-up during the Get Back sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Give the man a stogie, he gets it.

This forum gets blasted for all the Beatle threads. No, I'm not going to bypass those threads because I'm a Beatles fan, as noted in one thread I've been a fan since day one in the U.S. at least, 1964, I was 6 and I had teenage aunts who hooked me on the music and it's been a rare day in the last 54 years when I've not listened to the music.

But the obsessiveness sometimes strikes me as folks putting these people on pedestals that they don't belong on. Ain't a one of the Beatles I look at as a role model/hero except in making music. Plenty of warts in that quartet, no matter what nimrods like Jann Wenner say. (He once made the silly comment that "there was nothing bad or negative in John's entire life" ... probably was at the time where he didn't just have his nose in the Lennons' lower orifices, he had his entire head in up to the neck if not the shoulder blades.)

2. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

3. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Well if that list is accurate - John had the better songs, incredible wok. George's Isn't It A Pity, I Me Mine, and All Things Must Pass are really great songs.

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

As John said, you have to be a bastard to be successful and "the Beatles were the biggest bastards of all."

Jackstar74, ohnothimagen and PRW94 like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

George's line during this "spat" remains one of my all-time favorites. I trot it out for personal use when appropriate! :D

Paulwalrus and Brother Maynard like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm a bastard and I'm unsuccessful - what does that say??? :laugh:

Paulwalrus, MoonPool, vinnie and 5 others like this.
  7. DrBeatle

That's George's "I'm only doing this because I desperately need the money" look.

8. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

I really don't think George's heart was ever in the Anthology thing.

This photo makes me refer to my post about nobody fighting harder ... or pulling together harder when needed ... like brothers, and brothers don't always have to share the same DNA.

theMess, beatleroadie and DrBeatle like this.
  9. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Also, it just occurred to me. George did an online chat a couple of years before he died. I was on it, couldn't get in of course. (Dial-up age, LOL!) Someone asked him about Paul. He responded with a lyric to one of his songs: "Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass/You know his faults, now let the foibles pass."

10. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

...along with Ringo's "Do my eyes deceive me?" look. :tiphat:

theMess and DrBeatle like this.
  11. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

It's my understanding that Ringo spent a large chunk of his childhood very ill, so maybe not.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  12. DrBeatle

They were definitely brothers, but George only did the Anthology because of his dire financial straits at the time. Prior to that, he'd blocked it over the previous two decades every time Neil Aspinall or the other Fabs brought it up. That being said, his interviews during the actual documentary are fantastic and wry but still warm. It's in the bonus footage where you can see the bitterness and disdain for the whole thing (and especially Paul, who to be fair is quite overbearing in spots). The clips of them at Friar Park and in Abbey Road with George Martin are enough to make the viewer squirm with how uncomfortable they are.

Paul H likes this.
  13. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Macca should have demoed Hey Jude, then they could have replicated it. Knowing him, that may have ended up the finished result though.

To be fair, there is nothing as annoying as a guitarist widdling away where it is not required.
    Tact and diplomacy were not Macca's strong points and he probably loved to look in charge when a camera was pointed at him. I am sure George directed the band on his songs.

At the end of the day, they were far better off being apart than arguing on camera.

14. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

+1

All of us are familiar with the Paul-George Dynamic. That is, we all have a friend or relative who in essence we like just fine. But we tend to be somewhat guarded in their presence because they tend to be a bit overbearing or tread into areas we would rather not discuss. I have an uncle who is Paul to my George. Nice guy and all that. But after a couple of hours, he begins to get on everyone s' nerves with his nonstop Q&A and unsolicited advice. At least that is how I see it.

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Possibly with regards to creating new music as The Beatles you are right...although even in that case it was George's idea to use a demo tape of John that the other three could work on to complete. It's my understanding that the original idea (likely Pauls) was that the Threetles would simply record a new song together or some instrumental jams to be used in the documentary soundtrack. George was against doing anything "without John," and came back with an idea (borrowed from his idea for the Wilburys of using an old Elvis demo) to use John demos (and Yoko's embracing of that idea) that pushed the Anthology reunion into the realm of releasing new Beatles singles for the first time, and of course this idea resulted in massive sales that those sets would likely not have gotten otherwise. So George is a huge part of the Anthology success.

I just wish Yoko had given them John's studio cut of "Baby Please Don't Go" (later released on Lennon Anthology)...Paul, George and Ringo could have wiped everything but John's awesome vocal and re-done the instrumentation and some backing harmonies on it. Would have been perfect for Anthology 3 (with its 'Get Back' era covers) along with a new version of "Across the Universe" using John's 1968 vocal and guitar (at correct speed, later released on LIBN) + new harmonies, guitar and drums by the Threetles. If only... :love:

I do think George enjoyed the interviews--telling his side of things about the 60s and certainly enjoyed sharing his perspective on faith and what being a Beatle was really like for him. He always seemed to take opportunities to discuss the "truth" about Beatledom and fame when asked, and Anthology gave him ample opportunity to explore that line of thought.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Paulwalrus, theMess and majorlance like this.
  16. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

never heard that he did that. not something that i would have expected.

17. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

18. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

It was in 2001, and there actually was a thread about it here!

George Harrison Yahoo! Chat Transcript - 02/15/2001

That line was on the wall at Friar Park, he used it in the song "The Answer's at the End."

kostmo, Runicen, theMess and 2 others like this.
  19. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

I think McCartney’s innate gift for melody and harmony made him finicky and particular about those things in the songs he wrote. He knew what sounded good and was usually right.

That said, when it came to the guitar parts in his songs, he seems to have allowed Lennon a little more leeway than Harrison. I was always a little surprised he let Lennon get away with that heavy-handed staccato picking in “Oh! Darling”.

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  20. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

21. beatleroadie

"Possibly 35 songs that I have been working on over the years." - Wow this makes me cry :sigh:

Even if that estimate his high, let's say its closer to 25-30 songs, only 12 were on Brainwashed. Where are the other 15 or so songs Olivia???

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

And of course, that Paul went to see George just before he died.

This has possibly been the best Beatles thread for some time, working out that not only were the Beatles human people, but that they were themselves and knew it.

23. beatleroadie

George and Olivia stayed at Paul's remote ranch home in Arizona during George's "hospice" time before he passed, did they not?

These guys were brothers. Which means of course they argued at times.

BeatleJWOL, Paulwalrus and Jack Lord like this.
  24. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

some of the worse things I have ever heard from one person to another was between brother-brother, sister-sister & brother-sister/sister-brother arguments
    personally I seem to recall, well lets just say some very heated arguments between me and my sister but no one was around recording it (thankfully)

BeatleJWOL and Paulwalrus like this.
  25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

IIRC, he actually died at McCartney's house in Los Angeles.

Paulwalrus and beatleroadie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.