George/Paul dust-up during the Get Back sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I think George was his favorite Beatle

O Don Piano and Paulwalrus like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Re: They were all jerks

I cant think of anything I am aware of Ringo doing that leaves me with that impression and that includes his change to a no autograph policy.

That said, I am sure they all have had to be a bit obnoxious to some folks seeking their attention given how extreme and long lasting those demands have been. And I am sure during his period as an alcoholic he did some reprehensible things, as what alcoholic has not.

But in terms of his conduct towards the other three, I know of nothing to find fault with.

Sure he was an idiot to embrace the idea of Klein as manager, but nobody has suggested he was the driving force behind that.

Zeki likes this.
  3. manco

manco Forum Resident

I think it speaks volumes that Paul never praised 'All Things Must Pass', it must have burned him up inside seeing that epic LP smash chart records.

majorlance likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

When did George praise Paul's solo work? George spent decades publicly expressing anger and bitterness towards Paul, who managed considerably more than 2 major hit albums in his solo career. I dont recall Paul doing any of that to George.

And of course many people interpreted Wah Wah on ATMP as a slap at Paul. And George then played on How Do You Sleep which was a direct undeniable personal attack on Paul. He's supposed to say "please hit me again sir"?

5. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I’m sure Paul got over it, considering his massively successful solo career dwarfed George’s.

6. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Your assumptions are quite entertaining.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Agreed — although it should be noted that Paul performed the title song at the Concert for George in 2002.

8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I remember when my best friend and I liked the same girl and he got her, I never forgave him and I hated him for it.
    John Lennon was the girl they both wanted, John picked Paul, I know how George felt.

BellaLuna and Paulwalrus like this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Of course the girl had already picked Paul and Paul introduced her to his kid friend George.

Sorry you can't have my wife all to yourself mate. But hey I will let you shine on lead guitar and take the back seat on bass if you like.

BellaLuna likes this.
  10. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Chart run for ATMP

UK; Date: 26/12/1970 - Run: 13-13- 5-5- 13- *4*-4-4-4-4-9-9-9-9- 18-19-24-35-0-28-21-41-46-0-36-32

US; Date: 19/12/1970 - Run: 5-2-*1*-1-1-1-1-1-1-3-6-7- 11- 9-9- 13-15-19-24-37-40-38-45-56-53-73-87

Chart run for McCartney

UK; Date: 02/05/1970 - Run: *2*-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-3-4-6-6-5-8-10-10-10-8- 12-15-16-13-32-53-38-28-46-54-0-42-0-0-0-0-58-

US; Date: 09/05/1970 - Run: 14- 3-*1*-1-1-2-2-2-2-3-3-3-5-5- 12-13-16-19-18-25-48-48-68-61-68-70-83-88-88-99

Chart run for Ram

UK; Date: 05/06/1971 - Run: *1*-1-2-3-3-2-3-2-4-4-7-9-8-7-10- 11-12-11-34-20-32-48-36- 35

US; Date: 05/06/1971 - Run: 6-4-3-3-4-4-5-5-4-3-4-*2*-2-3-5-5-4-5-6-7-9-9-9-9- 19-19-22-28-52-56-69-89-84-93

Initially there was little difference and Paul was dominating the 1970 singles charts with Let it Be, Long and Winding Road and Come and Get It, so much so that he did not feel the need to release an obvious no1 in Maybe I'm Amazed.

I don't think George was ever on either John and Paul's radar as an actual musical rival, not how they saw each other, the Stones, how Lennon viewed Dylan or Paul Brian Wilson. Musicians they saw as threats, were impressed with, were usually imitated by the two of them and there is nothing to suggest that ATMP was a musical influence on either of them.

Paulwalrus and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  11. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Ringo was an out of control alcoholic at 1 point who would get violent.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I allowed for that possibility. But did he do anything unseemly towards the other 3?

Zeki likes this.
  13. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

He seemed generally OK, criticized some of Paul's early solo efforts.

Rfreeman likes this.
  14. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I agree.

For Obvious reasons George would not praise the first Paul solo album, and it was not that good anyway, certainly no Pepper or Abbey.

So if Paul did not praise All Things, why would George praise Ram?

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

For a largely experimental album with only one or two fully developed songs on it, and Paul playing everything himself and recording much of it at home without a mixer, it was a good bit better than Wonderwall or Electronic Sound (or for that matter anything on Apple Jam).

But none of these guys were really praising the folks they were legally battling at the time.

Seem to recall John saying something along the lines of ATMP wasn't bad but it wasn't the kind of music he would ever listen to and that of course George must have known MSL was a rip off and was just too lazy to change it enough to get away with it.

16. majorlance

Source? Violent meaning abusive? Verbally abusive or physically abusive? He's a really little guy; it's hard to imagine him doing much damage or physical harm even at the depths of his alcoholism.

Not defending his (or anyone's) bad behavior, just wondering.

17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

He admitted he got drunk, woke up and thought he had killed Barbara, Inspired him to go to rehab. I don't think
    he would have ever done if sober and was probably horrified.

Paulwalrus and majorlance like this.
  18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

if we are being honest it is perfectly reasonable that none of them particularly rated the others work, but so for Paul is the only one who has been accused of doing so out of jealously.

BellaLuna and Paulwalrus like this.
  19. majorlance

Yikes.

20. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

This article talks some about it.

Ringo Starr at 70: I've beaten drink, drugs and depression

From the article:

However, it was only when he began to worry that he couldn’t stop drinking that he sought help. Seven years after their marriage, he and Barbara booked into a drying out clinic in Tucson, Arizona. “I’m not a violent man,” he reflected recently, “But I was getting violent. And it was just painful, waking up in the morning and starting drinking again.”

He has admitted beating up Barbara so badly during one binge that he thought he had killed her. The clinic helped him to turn his life around and he claims that he hasn’t touched a drop since. Even when his first wife Maureen died of cancer in 1995 and their daughter Lee was diagnosed with a brain tumour requiring major surgery, he didn’t see drink as a way out.

Paulwalrus and Ginger Ale like this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Is Paul saying nothing much about ATMP better than John telling the press that its not his kind of music or anything that he'd ever listen to at home? Because John said that about George's hit record.

Paul did play "All Things Must Pass" at the Concert for George, so clearly that was one of his favorites. He could have played anything of George's.

Paulwalrus and Chris M like this.
  22. manco

manco Forum Resident

I mean the entire LP and besides which how people treat others when they're alive if much more important than a tribute concert.

23. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I never saw that so I just now looked it up

Who's idea was it for Paul to sing it?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Were he alive, it would be the perfect vehicle for touting his POV.

And if John were still alive, with Twitter. Good grief ...

I recall Ringo on the John Davidson show in the early 80s and acting like a total SOB. I was horrified. Of course that was the peak of his boozing so it now "makes sense." Doggett mentions it in his book.

Paulwalrus and Chuckee like this.
  25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

To be fair, the list is NOT accurate. George did indeed demo Something, Old Brown Shoe and All Things Must Pass in February, but each song was rehearsed by the whole band too. Old Brown Shoe went from an awkward straight-eight arrangement to the nice shuffle we all love... after a day's worth of rehearsals... all led with George on piano. He even jokes that he'll have to learn the song on guitar when Billy arrives. Something was received in a rather strange way. They all seemed to like it, but John when offering some lyrics comes up with some real doozies. Almost taking the pi$$ out of the song. Similar to how he practically ruined the I Me Mine session earlier in the month. All Things Must Pass AND Let It Down were rehearsed early in the sessions and re-introduced later on. Paul particularly seemed to like Let It Down. John loudly complained that the chords were too hard to play on both. Just a silly and lazy retort in my opinion.

John didn't really offer the group Madman, Watching Rainbows or Case Of The Blues. He performed them once. The first two during George's hiatus with Paul and Ringo plodding along. George also plays/performs additional originals, including Isn't It A Pity, but they weren't "offered" to the band per se.

Regarding Don't Let Me Down. The early versions were similar to the 1968 Kenny Everett version. Mostly just a partial verse and chorus. It was George and Paul who turned it into a complete song; introducing the riff, middle eight and tempo change. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.