German Odeon Beatles "Revolver" LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, May 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I just won and received a Hor Zu "Please Please Me" and I like it. Your "Revolver" sure looks like an early pressing. Congrats on the score. I hope you enjoy it.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Good price on that too Dave.

Let us know what you think of it.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Pretty label.

I wonder if Hitler in his wildest imagination could have imagined rock and roll music or that it would be issued on Odeon records just a few years after his (evil) time?

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

CONGRATS, DAVE!

Looks good; hope it plays nice. For me, for that price, the label alone would be worth what you paid. Be sure to let us know how it came out!:)

ED:cool:

6. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Wow!!! That's a nice looking one at that. Hope you can trasfer it over to a CD and it comes out sounding great for you too!

7. Dave B

Thanks all. Once I receive the disc, I'll of course give it good cleaning and then listen and post a review. I already have a mono black label Capitol copy and a later issue stereo Parlophone release. It'll be interesting to see how this version compares.

8. softtech

softtech Forum Resident

Pardon me for threadcrapping, but I couldn't think or a more trivial concern when weighed against the enormity of the evil. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but I lost many members of my family to his evil and your comment strikes me as being akin to wondering what color slacks he wore when he ordered the elimination of millions of jews.

I don't know if I am unduly sensitive or if your comment was unduly unsensitive, but I did want you to be aware of the perception. I don't believe that I'm alone in this feeling.

Best Regards,
    Emery

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Emery,

I'm Jewish pal. I lost a lot of family too.

Perhaps my point was lost. I will restate here:

All of Hitler's key speeches were recorded and released on Odeon in Germany in the 1930's and early 1940's with a label that looked very close to the Revolver label. I personally look on that beautiful label with mixed feelings and emotions as might be imagined. I think it would have been a little bit of nice revenge on the Nazis to see that same label issue music that they obviously would have detested in such a short time after their demise.

10. softtech

softtech Forum Resident

Steve,

I guess I see a very minor irony at best and the problem that I have is in overstating it as somehow being some sort of "nice revenge." That just doesn't work for me. There is no revenge that is adequate nor possible nor that I want and having music that you and I both love being issued on Hitler's label certainly doesn't come close for me.

As I said earlier, it is certainly possible that I am overly sensitive. I'll leave that to you and others that read this to reach their own conclusions. My point was just that I don't think that I'm alone with these feelings and I wanted you to be aware of them. If you feel comfortable drawing such comparisons, who am I to lecture you or to tell you otherwise? All I *AM* trying to tell you is that they make me feel very uncomfortable and I want you to be aware that those kinds of statements can have that affect on people. I never thought that was your intent and can recognize someone with a kindhearted soul when I see one, which made it all the more necessary, on my part, to stop lurking and share my thoughts.

I most sincerely hope that they are coming across as I intended them to.

Best Regards,
    Emery

PS I apologize again for threadcrapping and hope I have nothing more to contribute (as I believe that the only Horzu I have is MMT that is quite likely).

11. Beatle Terr

Ummmm So How is that Nice new German Revolver LP, Have you received it yet. I hope it's in good condition as stated.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

If Hitler had conquered Britain(and won WWII), The Beatles would have been the house band!

LOVE the German Revolver! Hor Zu, blue label, or Apple, it just shines! My preferred way of listening to this, the greatest rock album of all time, IMO.

13. Dave B

I haven't received the disc yet. It was supposed to go out Monday so I don't expect to see it until later this week. I plan a giving it a good listen this weekend after which I'll post my thoughts.

14. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I just thank God that he didn't listen to his Generals and didn't win the war. The world would have been a much darker place.

15. Dave B

I'm had almost decided to let this thread disappear after the somewhat uncomfortable direction it unexpectedly took but I promised to submit a review of the record and since that was the real subject here, I decided to fulfill my obligation.

I unfortunately have to report that the copy of the Hor Zu release of Revolver I received is very noisy. Not unlistenable but certainly too noisy to do a proper evaluation of the recording quality. There are no skips or deep scratches but a lot of light surface scratches. These create a background of sizzle that make hard to enjoy. The recording appears to be on par with other Hor Zu releases. In true stereo and well mastered, a clean copy of this record would be a worthwhile find. The songs that are loud enough to overcome the noise sound excellent. As always buying records sight unseen or more importantly unlistened, is a crap shoot. It appears my search is not over. I'll keep looking, I'm sure there's a clean copy out there somewhere and I'll keep looking until I find it.

16. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Hi Dave, Sorry the album isn't what you expected. I have a German Apple pressing of 'Revolver" although I don't think it's the do all or end all of "Revolver" none the less, it's nice having. Do you think you can return the record for a refund? I sure would, if it was me.

17. Beatle Terr

Thanks Dave, I didn't think Steve need the flack that just pertained totally to the name of the label. Shheeesh!!! I tried to get the subject to change back to the sound of the LP but that didn't seem to work.

I'm glad you let it slide for a bit.

However if you have the capibilities to clean the record up via your computer so you could just put it on a CD disc. Would it still be worth listening to or do you think it would change the sound of the tracks too much??? Perhaps it would be shall we say STUNNING!!!!!!

18. John Carsell

Don't you think that a professional record cleaner might be a better way to go?

19. Beatle Terr

John your right if Dave can find one in his area. Or better yet someone here must know of a place where he could send it to be professionally cleaned. I would hope that would give it that clean copy sound he's looking for.

20. I have two sources here in Calgary where we could get the LP cleaned. Loyalty Sound has a VPI cleaner and a private record dealer I know also has one for use.

A while back I won a W German Revolver on eBay, Apple pressing from the mid 1970s. It was a bit crackly when I first received it. A VPI cleaning turned the album right around. It's dead quiet now. Sounds amazing.

I've had good fortune with purchasing Beatles W German LPs that were pressed in the early to mid 1970s on Apple or Apple/Hor Zu. I have found that the 1960s Odeon and Hor Zu pressings can be a hit and miss proposition. Just ask those of us here who own 1960s Odeon pressings of "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!". :laugh:

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Me too. I love freedom. From one Evan to another.....

22. John Carsell

I know Steve had some good things to say awhile back about the German EMI cuttings from the early-mid 70's.

The Neumann system gave the LP's a more accurate cut with an extended range.

23. Dave B

John, I have a VPI 16.5 and as is my normal practice with used records, I cleaned this one prior to playing it. I'm afraid the damage isn't in the grooves but rather on the surface. As I said the disc isn't unlistenable, merely more crackley than I'd like (did I just make up a word?)
    I may try going the computer cleanup route and see how that works.
    I don't intend to return the album since it appears to be rather rare here in the States, especially with the white Odeon label. I'll just keep looking for a better copy and once I find one I'll put this one up for sale or trade. Don't worry I won't list it as "Stunning!"

24. Beatle Terr

But it is STUNNING!!!!!! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.