"Gerry Across The Mersey" question for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joe Koz, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam Thread Starter

Gerry across the Mersey question for Steve

Steve,
    I am relatively new to this board. I have been enjoying it immensly. I recently purchased all the hits of Gerry & The Pacemakers on Razor & Tie. I want to commend you on the great job of mastering on this set. I have a question. The booklet states that all the original stereo mixes were used. However, the booklet also states that Ron Furmanek did the tape research. Were any of his digital remixes used?
    It sure sounds analogue to me.
    I like the count intro on "I Like It.
    I had never heard that before. I like how you always put something extra in your projects.

Thanks again,
    Joe

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Joe,

Glad you liked the "Gerry & The Pacemakers" CD. I've always liked those guys.

When I was working on that set it always tickled me that on (let's say) "How Do You Do It", if you kill the music track, you can hear Gerry's guitar work acoustically bleeding through onto his vocal mic. Hard to sing and play that guitar rhythm part at the same time. If he wasn't playing his favorite Gretsch on there I doubt we would have been able to hear the string plucking. I LOVE stuff like that.

At any rate, I think Ron found something that we used on there.

If you're bored sometime, kill the left channel music on "You'll Never Walk Alone" and listen to Gerry's singing on the right channel. No echo, and when the drums come in, there is a nice bleed through.

That's LIVE baby!

Of course the strings were overdubbed later, but all of that Gerry stuff was basically live in the studio.

Ah, the good old days!

3. Angel

Angel New Member

Hey wait a minute!

I pulled out a Gerry And The Pacemakers (not mastered by Steve) CD to listen to Steve's examples on "How Do You Do It" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" and the darn thing is MONO.

As Bugs Bunny used to say: "Of course you know, this means war!"

So, am I **** out of luck here? What is this "Gerry Cross The Mersey"? Out of print?

4. Steve Hoffman

Yo Babe!

Angel, I think this is out of print.

Can someone confirm?

EMI was not happy that we used the stereo versions of "How Do You Do It", etc. either. They seem to think that since there is nothing in the center of the stereo mixes, they don't deserve to ever be heard again or something. But I used them anyway.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

6. Steve Hoffman

THAT'S IT!!!!

And it's cheap, too!

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Great, ordered one myself. Love Gerry and the Pacemakers.

8. Angel

Angel New Member

Pshaw! $9.00? That's all? Goody! I'll order one too.

Thanks one and all! :)

9. I just placed my order. I hope it sounds as good as The Beach Boys greatest hits by Steve.

Are there any more of Steve's work on Razor and Tie?

10. Steve Hoffman

Sounds nothing like the Beach Boys stuff; different musicians, studios, engineers, tape stock, mixing consoles, producers, countries, etc.

The Gerry stuff is, well, it's, you know, EMI. Sounds just like the Hollies, Beatles, etc. Hard to miss that the songs were recorded at Abbey Road No. 2! Same sonic signature, ya know?

But, the Razor & Tie disc is a good representation of what the actual master tapes sound like. If that's what floats your boat (it floats mine), then you will be happy with your purchase!

12. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam Thread Starter

The Beach Boys is available thur musicspace.com. Musicspace IS Razor & Tie...Great web site. Razor & Tie's new web site sucks!!!!!!

13. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Amen to that!

I got this CD a couple of months ago and quickly realized that it does actually have ALL the hits, and they all sound better here than anywhere else (and I've got way too many G&TP cds, having bought most every one I have ever found).

Now, we could quibble over the stereo/mono issue (especially for Ferry Across The Mersey), but NOT over the sound! The stereo HDYDI sounds better here than on my beloved EMI MFP CD, which has long been my reference. Another f***ing fantastic mastering job from Mr Hoffman!!!!!!!!

Ahem, in other words, this is the only Gerry and The Pacemakers CD you will ever need to own, unless you have lost your mind, as I have. :D

14. Steve Hoffman

PhabPhan,

Are you saying that the stereo version of "How Do You Do It" exists in stereo on a British CD?

More details, please. Before or after my Razor & Tie release?

15. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

WAY before, and I could have sworn that you mentioned the old cd in one of your posts on the old forum... Hmmm, maybe I just dreamed it? :confused:

Anyway, the CD is 24 No 1's OF THE 60's, EMI Music For Pleasure CD-MFP 6006, labeled 1987.
    I found my copy in June 1988, and it was made in W. Germany by Sonopress.

Track 10 is How Do You Do It, and although the track is marked by a * to indicate mono,
    it is the full, wide stereo version, identical to the one on your Razor & Tie release.
    (Curiously, it is the only track labeled incorrectly.)

The entire CD is great, BTW!
    It has Apache (The Shadows, stereo)
    and I Remember You (Frank Ifield)
    and Shakin' All Over (Johnny Kidd and the Pirates)
    and tons more really gear British Invasion stuff!

16. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I have that. The Gerry song being marked mono threw me.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.