Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Gerry Anderson's SUPERCAR is now on DVD from A&E

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host Thread Starter

Goody. When I was a little kid I loved this show. I guess it's because there was a little kid on the show (Jimmy) who got to live with Mike Mercury and two neat lovable scientists and got to ride in a flying car instead of living with his parents and having to go to school and stuff. Oh, and he got to have a monkey, Mitch. Ohh ohh ooh ooh Arrrrhhhh.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Hoffman

I just loved these guys!

Dr. Beeker, Mitch the Monkey, Jimmy, Mike and Prof. Popkiss. Heh.

Attached Files:

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I've already got my order in for the discs of Fireball XL5 :agree: Gerry Anderson had a natural gift when it came to creating these shows :agree:

All the best - Andrew

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

What is funny is that I am now 50, and the way that I learned (When I was little), the difference between horizontal and vertical, was by this very show. When he lifted off, he would say something like "Commencing vertical drive", then "Engaging Horizonal Drive". I may not have the quotes correct, but this is how I learned the definitions. To this day, I still remember that, and I have not seen this show since the mid '60!!

It's weird how you learn things!!!

PS - Fireball XL5 was my favorite GA show.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And the puppets were no worse than the Rankin/Bass stuff, and just as endearing, although you gotta wonder who came up with the idea that professors had to be bald.:D

The significance of the monkey--both here and in SPEED RACER(which is also out in a box set)--escapes me. I mean, how many people ever own a chimp? If Sabrina could survive with a talking cat and Wilbur with a talking horse, you'd think a talking dog would have worked just as well.

ED:cool:

6. Steve Hoffman

ME TOO! Funny, eh? They went into great length doing their take off's. I loved that little tape recorder going in the background in the flight control room. It must have been about the size of a little pocket machine with those tiny reels but behind the puppets it looked much bigger....

7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Hell, I just wanted the damn CAR!!!!

8. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that too.

I really liked the family aspect of the show though. A little band of good guys raising a kid, everyone getting along and fighting the bad guys. Heck, I STILL like it.

9. Steve Hoffman

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Oooops. Now I have to clean my cache!! :shh:

This, of course, is another example of the "vertical drive" :D:sigh: ;)

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I'll have to rent one of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.