Get a haircut and get a real job : Rockers who got real jobs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick sakka, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

The lead singer for DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince did all right in his second job.

JediJoker and phillyal1 like this.
  2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

My college English professor Bruce Clarke was their original rhythm guitarist. Played at Woodstock with them.

3. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Craig Logan of Bros quit the band and became a succesful A&R man with EMI, and later ran RCA when it was owned by Sony.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

One of the more interesting of these was Utopia drummer Kevin Ellman. He went to Berklee and drummed for Manhattan Transfer, Bette Midler, Barry Manilow and others before joining Utopia. In 1975, he quit to join his family's business Beefsteak Charlie's, which led him to become a Certified Financial Planner and be quoted in Business Week, Fortune and the Wall Street Journal and to become a frequent guest on CNBC. Todd appeared on the show to talk about Patronet, his aborted attempt at a music subscription service, and play a few songs. Ellman was invited to sit in on a song - he was rusty as hell, but game and eventually got back into music.

(If you're going to play a Utopia song after not playing for a while, don't choose The Icon.)

Rush drummer Neil Peart cited Ellman as an influence on his playing, specifically his work on concert toms.

5. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Glenn Medeiros runs a school.

Jamie Walters (very underrated 90's pop-rock singer) has since worked as a paramedic and firefighter.

6. Peter Jacobsen and the late Payne Stewart

7. Don Felder's main gig has been real estate since the late 1980s. Music is his 2nd thing.

Fullbug, JediJoker and mtvgeneration like this.
  8. In an interview 1 or 2 years ago, Mark Lanegan mentioned having taken jobs in construction around Los Angeles frequently when in between projects. This was certainly the case when he left QOTSA, but the way he said it, it seemed like he's gone back and done that some more at various times.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Shawn and JediJoker like this.
  10. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Then:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

The VAST majority of rockers end up getting 9-to-5 jobs when the dream doesn't pan out.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  11. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

That was an ONION article. Sheesh...

black sheriff and Guy E like this.
  12. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

When I first saw the Dream Syndicate on their first trip east he was there , and it was his guitar playing that I still remember.

13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I think Roth is probably a really cool mofo in peivate. I know he went to live in Japan to study martial arts and just would hang out with his buddies and they disn
    Doesnt Sha na na literally translate mean Get a Job?

14. Former Bitch Magnet and Don Caballero guitarist Jon Fine went into journalism, becoming executive editor at Inc magazine and writing for the likes of The Atlantic and Details. He also put out an autobio three years back, Your Band Sucks: What I Saw At Indie Rock's Failed Revolution (But Can No Longer Hear), which is a great summer read for those who are into the whole indie/underground rock scene and liked books like Our Band Could Be Your Life.

nosliw and mdm08033 like this.
  15. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Kieran White of Steamhammer immigrated to the U.S. and became a truck driver.

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Art Garfunkel and Peter Tork both taught in schools for a short time after fame (someone probably already said this but I’m too lazy to look lol)

17. But did he really get a haircut? :)
    Jeffrey Baxter - Business Strategy Geopolitics Inspiring Stories speaker

limoges, carrick doone and JediJoker like this.
  18. Mogul :)

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  19. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Fuzz Townshend now the main mechanic on Car SOS

I was aware of Pop will eat itself back in the day but wasn't aware of Fuzz till Car SOS

Fuzz Townshend - Wikipedia

black sheriff likes this.
  20. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Paul Siebel. a songwriters songwriter (songs covered by David Bromberg, Willie Deville,j Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie ratio, Jerry Jeff Walker, Kate Wolf, Mary McCaslin, Emmylou Harries, Waylon Jennings and Leo Kottke) and New York City based musician during the late 60's early '70's ended up working outdoors for the Parks department in Maryland.

21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Bruce Dickinson has his commercial pilot's license and flies Iron Maiden's plane on tour, Ed Force 1. He also owns an airplane maintenance company in England.

[​IMG]

22. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

Lesley Woods, singer from the excellent post punk band Au Pairs is a lawyer in London.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  23. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

In the 1970s, between gigs, Brian Poole (of & The Tremeloes) worked in his brother's butchers shop.

MidnightRocks likes this.
  24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

John Arch, original lead singer of Fates Warning, left the music business for 20 years and built custom wood furniture.

[​IMG]

25. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Bruce Dickinson is so cool. That is awesome!

He has a real job. ;)

MikaelaArsenault and petem1966 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.