Get a haircut and get a real job : Rockers who got real jobs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick sakka, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow, he was that hard up? I would've thought the royalties from "We're Not Gonna Take It" would be enough to make that sort of crap job unnecessary.

2. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Just imagine being a Van Halen fan and having a medical emergency. Who comes to help, but Diamond Dave himself!

3. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Yep she has always come off as a highly intelligent and likeable person.

4. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I read that Dave Gregory of XTC was delivering packages in Swindon after XTC had a bunch of records out - maybe even after Skylarking.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. jumpinjulian

Oh how could I forget!

Dean Ween is a licensed ship captain and runs a charter fishing service.

danner, Fullbug and tagomago like this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Dave Hill from Slade became a wedding chauffeur whilst Slade were on the outs in the late 70s. He apparently initially refused to do their comeback gig at Reading because it clashed with a job he had.

7. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Jim Fox of The James Gang is an independent sales rep for several jewelry companies.

8. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Dan Spitz left Anthrax in 1995 to work as a watchmaker.

9. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

??? how do you know these guys? I played with them in one of their last incarnations, altho I'm not on any of the albums. Those were recorded years before I met them. Thats Walter on the left and Jim on the right, two close friends of mine. They live in Atlanta now, playing in bands. As the Chant, we used to drive down to Florida and do a few gigs for fun, then come back home. I'm pretty sure The Chant is more or less a done deal at this point, altho the rare Florida appearance isnt out of the question.

Anyway, if this hasnt been mentioned, Mel Schacher of Grand Funk was a housing contractor, or something like that, for awhile, after GF's fortunes finally went south.

nosticker, uzn007 and carlwm like this.
  10. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Peter Tork became a high school teacher for awhile.

(Probably the only time I'll be the first to make a Monkees comment.)

11. Overthehillsandfaraway

More Britpop era: Donna Matthews from Elastica became a pastor in Devon. Louise Wener of Sleeper is a succesful writer. Jon Stewart from the same band lectures in music business at Brighton Institute of Music. Seahorses drummer Andy Watts writes kids books with his other half.

12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Sir Patrick Moore, who plays the xylophone, is a famous astronomer.

Fenriz of Darkthrone works in the Norwegian postal industry.

King ov Hell of Gorgoroth is a primary school teacher.

Ollie Jones of Desecration and Extreme Noise Terror works as a full-time mortician.

Wagner Lamounier of Sarcofago has a PhD in Economics and is working as a professor in a prestigious Brazilian university.

Rob Miller (aka The Baron) of Amebix has a full-time job in the British Museum, thanks to the Museum's interest in his drawing of a Saxon sword. He also manufactures swords in the Isle of Skye, which you can take a look at Castle Keep

Lord Worm of Cryptopsy (nice guy, BTW) teaches English in Quebec.

All of The Country Medical Examiners band members graduated with an MD in medical schools.

heathen, PyroMessiah and carlwm like this.
  13. jumpinjulian

Didn’t Justine from Elastica give up music to become a full time artist?

14. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Walter Lure was actually not a stock broker, he was in the far less glamorous(and far less remunerated) back office operations of Wall Street firms. I worked with him in the mid-80s.

15. Overthehillsandfaraway

I think so, yes. Obviously in the genes since her father was a top architect (founded PellFrischmann).

jumpinjulian likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yep. Heard he's been serving up Thug Passions to Tupac lately as well (one part Aloze, one part Crystal).

Sneaky Pete and mcwlod like this.
  17. Overthehillsandfaraway

One of the threads linked to elsewhere on this thread says that Terminator X from Public Enemy became an ostrich farmer??! Is this true? If so we surely have a winner!

giantleech and Gavinyl like this.
  18. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

You better call up the ambulance, I'm deep in shock.

19. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

side3 likes this.
  20. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Ringo fulfilled a lifelong ambition by opening a beauty salon after the Beatles broke up.

;)

majorlance likes this.
  21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

One of my former bosses (now sadly deceased) enjoyed talking about music with me, and gave me a stack of LPs when he no longer had a turntable. He had both Chant albums from when he lived in Florida. One glance at the band member photos on the back and it was clearly the same Todd Barry. Turns out I already had a Chant track in my collection, as they had contributed a track to a Monkees tribute album (Here No Evil). The Chant's "Take a Giant Step" is near the beginning of the running order, preceded only by an immortal reading of "The Day We Fall in Love" by Deacon Lunchbox, who sadly did not live to see the compilation's release.

22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Andy Bopp, of Myracle Brah and other acts of various genres, continues his musical career while also teaching at St. Francis of Assisi School in Baltimore.

23. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

Kathleen Edwards opened up a coffee house, she might be headed back into to music though..

Kathleen Edwards - Wikipedia

Edwards stepped back from the music scene in 2014, launching a coffee house in
    Stittsville called Quitters along with Rick Tremblay (who was her manager when she worked in a downtown Starbuck's in the 1990s).[11] She insists that she is not leaving music but just taking a break, and that the name Quitters is "kind of tongue-in-cheek".

Dan C and JRJ like this.
  24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Doug Ingle, organist with Iron Butterfly (and writer of "In A Gadda Da Vida") became a house painter.
    Norman Greenbaum ("Spirit In the Sky") opened a restaurant.
    The late Sonny Geraci (Lead singer with the Outsiders and Climax) sold aluminum siding in between gigs at oldies package shows.

Bigbudukks likes this.
  25. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Jimmy Page became a remastering engineer when he quit playing guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.