“Get Back” by the Beatles - A True Original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I read the overdubbed vocal on the bridge was taken from another take they recorded at the same day as the one that was chosen for the single.
    The song was recorded at Savile Row on multitrack tape, so it was easy to isolate vocals off another take.

DTK likes this.
  2. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Great song with a great groove! Love the rooftop performance.

Detroit Music Fan and blutiga like this.
  3. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, they did re-record some of the vocals later, it's not just taken from another take.

slane likes this.
  4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

He never did.

StereoMan56, blutiga and slane like this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Well, I read he did in one of my 80s sources.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Those terrible 80s sources, 50% half-remembered, 50% invention.

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It doesn't sound dated at all either-- like some of their earlier stuff.

Detroit Music Fan and McRich like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Or Billie Martin ... ;)

slane likes this.
  9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Well, I knew John and Brian had an interesting relationship and knowing John's sense of humor it seemed like a joke he'd throw at Brian.
    I do remember the year I read it.
    1987 lol

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not easy, as they were live recordings with significant leakage of instruments into the vocal mics.

Anyway, the Rockband files prove that the extra vocals were a standard overdub, as there is no leakage at all on the parts of the song that feature only overdubbed vocals.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Onder, andrewskyDE and nikh33 like this.
  11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

It's missing the swing in the snare pattern played by Ringo. McCartney and Harrison grooved on it back in the day, and it gave the song a great chugging momentum.

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Ever notice the musical quote from Glenn Miller's arrangement of "In The Mood" in "Don't Let Me Down" during his solo near the end of the song?

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Impossible in 1969.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

For some time I heard it as sweet Loretta modern and a dig at feminism.

Loretta Breeding

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I did not notice that. I’ll have to listen more closely.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This gets a bit tricky; it all depends on what Billboard would consider a song enough of a chart maker to constitute, "double A-side". There were certain Beatles singles that were pushed as double A-sides but certain radio stations didn't play both sides as such. Looking back at the old Billboard listings, Winding Road and For You Blue are both listed as going to number one...yet, NY hitradio NEVER played the latter. On the other hand, DLMD DID get some airplay (at least, when the record first came out) but only scored at number 30 or so on Billboard. But while the 30's don't exactly signify a song blazing up the charts, it's STILL top 40...so does that technically make Get Back/DLMD a double A-side..? At any rate, I'm with you; it *is* deserving.

quicksrt likes this.
  17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

LAWR/FYB came after after Come Together/Something, where if both songs are charting their position gets combined. For You Blue hit 71 on the Cashbox charts.

DK Pete likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..maybe it was during an outtake but definitely not on the released track. But your source may think it IS on the released track...just like in his book In My Life, Pete Shotton claims that they sing "she's a p***k* teaser on Day Tripper...again, maybe they were clowning around with it during rehearsal takes but it's not on the record. It would be nice if these "biographers" would either clarify or do some double checking before putting out their books.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Wow...hearing the song for decades and that didn't register with me, either. It's definitely very clearly there..but it sounds circumstantial as opposed to a conscious "borrow".

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

#35 to be exact (on Billboard).

DK Pete likes this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very interesting....so any 45 in which the lesser side even made it to a low position on the chart, both sides listed at number one???

22. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Yeah, or at #10, whatever the combined position would be. Isn't It A Pity was also part of a combined number #1 with My Sweet Lord on Billboard. That 1 did get some airplay.

DK Pete likes this.
  23. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

overrated. beatles at their most basic. this is the one single that did not deserve to be number 1. even the lousy hello goodbye had walrus on it. still it is far better than 909 and blue.i like it but can admit it is not great.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sometimes it's about pure rock & roll, that basic primal stompin' bricks is almost spiritual thing. When it's good it's an amazing thing. Played by a seasoned band slick but still raw. This is the real thing. And it goes deeper than just a quick romp and bop.

It is more like a Stones at their best type song. Like Brown Sugar, it's basic and sounds like other tunes maybe, but it also sounds like the Beatles invented that form. I've never gotten sick of it.

Detroit Music Fan and Socrates like this.
  25. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

I've always loved this song. "Get Back" is very much like a Stones or Dylan song, there's a live feel about everything. It's right out of the gate - boom. There's no stopping this one. Makes me want to dance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.