Get Back visual grain/noise removal*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ognirats, Oct 19, 2021.

1. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

54% over 55 years of age, so 46% under that age is actually not bad is it? :)

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Right! It’s basically split which is pretty good for an “oldies” band. I would think one could argue that the Beatles brought another demographic to Disney+. I would think that would be a positive to any streaming service since they don’t rely on commercials for their profit but rather subscribers.

JediJones, ognirats and nojmplease like this.
  3. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I thought I posted in here, just to follow this. I guess I had not, until now.:wave:

4. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Not only does Disney absolutely care, but this is exactly what they intended with bringing this project to their platform. They've already hooked the parents who signed up for their young children to watch normal Disney fare (i.e. parents in their 20-40s). The Marvel and Star Wars catalogs bring in teenagers and lots of other younger viewers. Stuff like Get Back helps bring in a key new audience of older adults who might stick around for some of the other original programming. A very calculated move, on their part.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, 46% of the audience to watch a loooong show about a band that broke up with the oldest member of that demo was 3 sounds pretty good!

Saint Johnny likes this.
  6. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

You can click “watch thread” (near the top of the page, to the right) to follow a thread without posting in it.

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

But what if the 46% is people who are 54 years old? :D

JediJones likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Alright who's ready for Smooth Beatles in IMAX??
    Beatles' Famed Rooftop Concert to Screen in IMAX Theaters

9. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

This is occurring a lot quicker than I expected, based on Peter Jackson's various interviews.
    Any confirmation on length of the Blu-ray? I'm looking forward to the rumored 14hrs. Personally,
    I would love the original 18hr cut. There's much from audio bootlegs that I'd like to see visuals of, particularly while at Apple.

JediJones and longdist01 like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

longdist01 and ognirats like this.
  11. ognirats

ognirats haruhist Thread Starter

I can't imagine Get back displayed on a giant IMAX screen. As if it doesn't look bad enough on mobile.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

No need to imagine it - get a ticket and see it for yourself! I'm not too concerned about the visuals - I know to temper expectations for 16mm film blown up to that obscene size. I'm much more excited for the IMAX audio mix.

jupiter8, longdist01 and Gezza like this.
  13. ognirats

I would if I could, but they ain't playing no Get Back in our country

14. Beatle Ed 2021

Beatle Ed 2021 Forum Resident

As there are supposedly no extras or extensions on the Blu-ray set, there won't be much incentive for the general audience to buy this in preference to carrying on watching it on Disney+ (being cynical, I could almost see a deliberate policy of no extras as a tactical ploy!)

At the very least though, a complete rooftop performance in real time without any street intrusions plus a selection of miscellaneous complete song performances from the rehearsals / Apple studio are definitely essential requirements. It's crazy if we don't get these!

15. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Tells me there's not going to be any. If there was anything to report, even a featurette like some of the ones on Youtube, it'd be in that info I think.

JediJones likes this.
  17. ognirats

Can't wait to see the Blu-ray video quality rating on Blu-ray.com. I won't be surprised if it turns out to be the worst one

Smash likes this.
  18. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

:rolleyes: That’s a bunch of crap.

JediJones likes this.
  19. ognirats

On the WTF podcast with Marc Maron, Peter Jackson talks about how the DNR was a decision to make it not look like old footage. And he even mentions how he realizes that will make some people angry. So he is fully aware of what he is doing and chose it to look that way unfortunately.

20. ognirats

I don't know any other transfer that blew out standard 16mm image to widescreen, applied crapload of DNR, AI upscaled that mess and then added fake grain on top of it

Cast Iron Shore and Oatsdad like this.
  21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can only imagine how much more blobby and soft it'll look when blown-up to IMAX...

jdicarlo, supermd and ognirats like this.
  23. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

The press release says:

“The concert, which features in its entirety in Peter Jackson’s original docuseries “The Beatles: Get Back,” will be optimized for IMAX screens, digitally remastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Remastering) technology.“

While I have no idea what that actually means, I do wonder if that might mean it won’t have the same level of noise reduction applied…

24. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

If I were to guess they've reformatted the split-screen effect to work for the IMAX aspect ratio. There are also some pillarboxed shots that would fit better into the IMAX ratio so probably no black bars. I doubt they'll change the level of noise reduction.

Chris DeVoe, supermd and ognirats like this.
  25. Excessive DNR is frowned upon in the industry, thus its only fitting that quality reviewers frown upon it as well. They run on parallel tracks.

A great example of what can be done with modern, restored 16mm film is the 1.78:1 aspect ratio of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), which came from a 4K scan in 2014.

ognirats likes this.