Get Back visual grain/noise removal*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ognirats, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh, jeebus...this is not going to be another patented, "Lukpac never met an argument he didn't want to challenge" routine, okay? I've been reading you since the IMWAN days. You are tenacious, persistent and a treasure trove of facts.

One thing you will never. EVER be an expert on, is MY OWN opinion. I don't care how many psychologists you have to employ to read every post of mine in order to prove you're right, I don't care if you even track down my high school counselor and post her on YouTube in testimony. Back off, and finally exhibit some courtesy, mkay?

Do not make this thread another bickerfest just because I have a position you do not share.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did the original Blu-rays for "Patton" and "Gangs of New York" comment? ;)

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah Peter, you are correct. Ive never seen The Beatles look quite the way you've rubberized them.

4. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

You first, dude.

Anthrax, marcb, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Just to be clear: you responded to me. Post #683, that's yours, right? All I did was make an observation. That's not bickering, that's participating in a discussion, on a discussion forum. Three people responded. That's not bickering. That's doing what we're here for.

"Strawman", and "You first, dude".

That's bickering, and we don't need to pursue this line of discussion any further if you're sincere about not bickering.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

An intentionally inflammatory “observation”. And here you are sticking around to snark at anyone and everyone who dares roll their eyes at it.

There is no substantive discussion to be generated from your ridiculous and immature caricature.

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Have you ever wondered why this always happens to you, in every thread you participate in here? With practically anybody who isn't ignoring you already?

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Possibly worth noting that I've never been a member of or posted on IMWAN.

Anthrax, marcb, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I was just blocked from the Get Back thread in the music forum for posting about how the transfer looks like garbage. I hope the members in that thread enjoy their DNR mess.

If you can't see the difference here then good for you.
    [​IMG]

Shawn, BuCo, BeatleJWOL and 4 others like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

He prides himself on just that so no surprise there. :laugh:

That would require self-awareness and self-reflection, something I have yet to see from him.

:laughup:

Anthrax, Shawn, lukpac and 1 other person like this.
  11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

If you think you were blocked unfairly, take it directly to one of the mods/Gorts, instead of whining about it here.

BTW, you could have done anything to those two images you posted to serve your "argument," whatever it is.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wow. Who peed in your Cheerios today? o_O

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Are you implying the poster in question did such a thing or just stating a generality?

Again, for comparison to the 1+ Blu-ray version of footage from Let It Be/Get Back:

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Yeah, I took the time and effort to download a program to then manipulate an image from a movie to prove a point. :laugh:

OldSoul, Shawn, Oatsdad and 6 others like this.
  15. Dillydipper

-

16. Dillydipper

-

17. Dillydipper

-

18. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I can easily see the difference, but I don’t think the original footage looks more natural. Yes, it definitely has film grain and is a much truer representation of what is captured on the celluloid. But notice how the grain gives everything a slightly jagged quality? (Skin looks different from person to person, so look at the frames of John’s glasses, which in real life would be smooth and rounded - not jagged.)

I guess what I am saying is that you’re correct that the original footage is truer to the actual film but I think the grain removal in the Disney footage makes the image truer to real life, where film grain doesn’t exist.

Yes, grain removal can be overdone to the point where faces look waxy, which is not how they look in real life. Personally, I don’t think Jackson went overboard with the grain removal, but I realize that’s subjective.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

John looks like he's made of plastic in the image above! :help:

He also looks awfully tan for an Englishman filmed in the middle of winter! :shh:

jdicarlo, Anthrax, Aoide and 3 others like this.
  20. ognirats

ognirats haruhist Thread Starter

you should've compared the 1+ restoration, the left video looks like it was sourced from beatles antology dvd

21. ognirats

[​IMG]

Aoide likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Thesaurus results for KNOW-IT-ALL
    :righton::righton::righton:

23. ognirats

I mean, you can have your opinion on the direction of the movie as there is no such thing as a fact that one film is good. Each person views it differently. But when the quality is in question then your opinion can be considered wrong.

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

There is no right or wrong with opinions. They are what they are...

Dillydipper likes this.
  25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Don't like it, don't buy it, don't watch it.

Without Jackson, Get Back probably wouldn't exist at all. Nothing to complain about then, aside from all the remixes, the last round of stereo Beatles, and pretty much everything sanctioned by Paul, Ringo, and the estates of John and George over the last 20 years, with the possible exception of the mono boxes.