Get Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Antmanbee, Oct 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon Thread Starter

Confession:
    I'm 60. Been a devoted music lover since I was about 11 years old (1970).
    T.Rex and glam to begin with, then the heavy stuff and progressive music, transatlantic rock and blues. Classical from about 16 or 17 years old, opera from 25 years old, jazz only from my mid-30s, but seriously a jazz-geek now.

It's taken me till now to get why and how the Beatles were so fab! Previously, I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. Still not sure how it happened. Sure, there were always a few songs I liked, but that's all.
    But, now I hear it, and it's a revelation. All of it.
    Listening to Past Masters at the moment. Perfection, track after track.

Anyone else found this happening to them?

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

GET OUT YER’ PITCHFORKS!!
    Nevermind, glad you came over to our side :D

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Welcome. It’s never too late.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

There can be so many reasons why we don't "get" something.
    Sometimes it just takes a moment away from the hoopla, to digest something, and the epiphany comes. For me, most of the time it is being in the right mood at the right time.

When I was 10 or 12 I loved the Beatles. Then to be honest, I spent about ten years of being sick to death of everyone talking about them ... all the bloody time.
    I started listening to them again in my mid twenties I guess, and love them, but I still get sick of the overkill around them.

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Not many fans here... :shh:

7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Don't bother because "guitar groups are on the way out."

8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Now you have to buy the whole set...... :D

9. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Jeez, took you long enough! :)

10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

You can make yourself like just about anything if you try hard enough.

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

BEATLES TOP POLL!

12. mercuryvenus

I've tried and tried but can't like most jazz. Same with metal. I just can't do it.

13. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Each time I re-listen to a Beatles album I find new things to appreciate. I'm 62 and got hooked as a kid hearing their hits from the mid 60's on the radio. My first Beatles album was Beatles '65 and it's ingrained in my DNA.

Their albums were in a class by themselves. Unmatched quality of composition, performance and sound quality during their reign.

Marty T, tug_of_war, Suncola and 4 others like this.
  14. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I wonder if that will happen to me one day. I first listened to The Beatles when I was 10. I listened the #1 compilation my grandmother owned (who grew up a fan of The Beatles in the 60s) as an introduction to them. I've listened to all the albums since multiple times and still 16 years later other than the songs Hey Jude and Blackbird, nothing has clicked.

I acknowledge their importance in music/pop/rock n' roll, but just like David Bowie, the Grateful Dead and The Eagles, I've just never found myself digging them. Maybe one day 20 to 30 years from now I'll be jamming them and everybody else as a fan. For now as I listen to them every now and then, I'll wait.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  15. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Principally a jazz fan, Sorry, I'm much older and never "got" the Beatles. At the beginning they were just copyists of better US groups. (It's a "group" if it ain't got people in it that play those brass things where you blow in the small end, wiggle your fingers and the sound comes out the big end..... and three girls singing ain't a "band" either.... they're a trio).
    Anyway.I always wondered how much imput George Martin had in their song writing. After all he'd make for more money that way than recording stuff on his own,.

bherbert likes this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Had Help! and the 45 of Get Back in the '70s. Been with them since then.

17. mercuryvenus

Which better US groups are you arguing they copied? You don't seem to have paid very close attention to their earlier material (which George Martin advised them on, but didn't outright write; for example, they were playing I Saw Her Standing There and their famous cover of Twist and Shout in Hamburg). They combined elements of their influences, like any artist does. They took Everly Brothers harmonies, Carl Perkins guitar playing, Little Richard screaming, and added their own twist.

18. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I still can remember the thrill of first hearing I Want to Hold Your Hand on WINS 1010 New York on my transistor radio while walking home in the snow from Boy Scouts at age 13. Amazingly even today I still get that thrill listening to early Beatles US singles and albums.

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Such as?

20. mercuryvenus

I wasn't alive in the 60s, but I still get a thrill when I put on my Beatles 45s (especially the early songs)! Songs like She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, and Please Please Me just hit you like a 2-minute long hurricane.

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Better late than never

bluejimbop likes this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Loved them as a kid. Stopped listening to them in the early 70s. The mid 70s Rock 'n' Roll compilation brought me back to them, so I decided to collect all the albums one by one, in order of release. A wonderful experience to discover so much stuff that I hadn't heard as a kid.

23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I didn't become a true admirer of their musical abilities until just a few years ago.
    Sometimes, with age comes wisdom.

24. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Well, good luck finding any mention of them on THIS board!

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Got Beatles
    Keep Beatles
    Where Beatles?
    There Beatles
    Oh Beatles
    Like Beatles
    Ok Beatles
    Fun Beatles?
    Sure Beatles
    Why Beatles?