Get my Marantz 2220b restored, or get new receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by O Don Piano, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member Thread Starter

I have probably posted about this before!
    I just don't know what to do!
    I still have my 2220b I got for Christmas in 1978. It's my only receiver.
    Knobs crackle; buttons don't engage entirely sometimes; sounds like a channel might be a tad weak; needs new LEDs, radio isn't terribly reliable.
    I tried "De-Oxit" but it goes back to crackling- even worse.
    I am NOT a techie nor do I have patience to do it myself! (I've been a pro guitarist for 35 years and can't be bothered with setting them up!)

I went to Audio Element in Pasadena a few months ago and they said "The Marantz is great, but it's time for a new receiver". What they showed me was half the size of my 2220b, no EQ knobs (I usually don't fuss with EQ, but it's nice to boost up when necessary. Would anything newer be something I should consider?

I do plug my SLQ2, Scarlett 2i2 from my MacBook Pro, BD player, TV, and bluetooth (rarely used) into my receiver. Does anyone know of a Marantz restorer, preferably in SoCal? (I'll go out of state, but I don't have the original packing anymore)

I do consider myself someone who cares about audio quality- although I can't afford a really great system. The Marantz was wonderful sounding until a few years ago!

I am willing to spend up to $450 tops to try and rectify the problem. I don't make much money and who knows WHAT is gonna happen with the current pandemic situation as far a keeping my job(s), but a stereo setup is crucial for my soul.

What say you?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd get something new. $450 to restore that one is overkill. It'd likely cost you less to buy another already restored one.

Dennis0675, O Don Piano and Rick58 like this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I would look for a new receiver or, preferably, an integrated amp. Both Marantz and Yamaha will have basic gear in your price range. You might even kick it up a notch if you shop Accessories4less:

MARANTZ PM6006 2-Ch x 60 Watts Integrated Amplifier w/ D-to-A Converter

I own a Marantz PM 5005, 6004, and 8004. All are great integrateds that are quite satisfying if your speakers are a decent match. You can buy and return if it doesn't work for you.

warp2600, Clonesteak and O Don Piano like this.
  4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'd have to agree, get a nice modern Marantz integrated amp for the same $ and fix the 2220b later when you have a chance, if you're still into vintage audio. Seems cool to pair it with a nice restored pair of vintage speakers, possibly with horns since it's a low powered receiver. That 6006 on sale looks very good ... it will be dead quiet except for the proper sounds being played, everything will work perfectly, and maybe will sound better than you've ever heard at home. Hopefully. I think even modern Marantz gear is designed to be a little more 'mellow' over 'ultra-crisp' sounding, I have a Marantz AVR that sounds great. The 6006 should be in the same 'vein' and hopefully will sound familiar, just mo' better (and cleaner) than the vintage receiver.

edit/PS: I see a factory refurb Denon DENON PMA-800NE Stereo Integrated Amplifier w/built-in DAC and Phono Preamplifier which is likely also in the same 'vein' sonically, a little less $$$. At some point I think Denon and Marantz were stable-mates/owned by the same company? Something like that. My old AVR was a Denon, I moved up in the 'range' and got a Marantz several years ago, very similar sonically I think.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    PhxJohn, timind and O Don Piano like this.
  5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It’s like owning a classic car. You’re not going to take it on a road trip, but it’s nice to look at and show off, maybe tool around town in. But what use would it be rotting away on your driveway, up on cinder blocks? If you’re not going to restore it and maintain it, get rid of it.

O Don Piano likes this.
  6. O Don Piano

So far, great choices!
    I'm thinking the PM5005 would work well for me.
    Any other referrals?

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

My two cents - hang onto your vintage 1978 Marantz and have it restored when you have the means. Someday, you may regret having tossed away a part of your audio heritage! Marantz tech recommendation: Tom Ishimoto of Northridge Electronics, Simi Valley.

scobb, hhjack, Clucking and 4 others like this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You might also look at the Yamaha AS-301 which is also in your price range.

O Don Piano likes this.
  9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Of course it's up to you, but the next one 'up' in the line is available as a factory refurbished unit at the same price. MARANTZ PM6006 2-Ch x 60 Watts Integrated Amplifier w/ D-to-A Converter

I can 'vouch' for this route (I haven't gotten any thru this particular outlet but), I bought my Parasound preamp as a factory refurb (and the iMac I'm typing this on). Got speakers and Marantz AVR thru Crutchfield as 'scratch and dent' and 'closeout' sales, all have worked perfectly and are still in my system(s).

timind likes this.
  10. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

That Marantz is a classic receiver and if it had plenty of power for his speakers I say get it rebuilt. It's 42 years old and sounded good until a few years ago despite steadily degrading over the years. If a good tech does a competent job I'm sure he would be more that pleased. I wouldn't trust a new one to last much more than maybe 10 years, everything is built so cheap these days. Probably full of digital this and digital that with SMD components that can't be fixed when it breaks.

BillWojo

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

But seriously, how long would even a thoroughly refurbished 42-year-old receiver last?

@O Don Piano I vote to try a new one that's easily returnable if you don't like it. Keep the old one until you're sure one way or the other.

O Don Piano and AmadeusMozart like this.
  12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Oh please...

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

This! You will kick yourself one day if you toss it.

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I don't think anyone's suggesting that the OP "toss" the 2220b ...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

[​IMG]

Come on, restore that baby and forget about some new china-made dreck ;)

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

keep it...I have a Marantz 2235b ...last year it started throwing out AC current through the audio in/out...whenever I touched the RCA cable ends I would get a SHOCK! I retired it and wrapped it up to be repaired down the road.

O Don Piano likes this.
  17. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Restore that thing!

Just make sure that you find an honest tech who does quality work.

18. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Another vote for restore - there's value in the fact that baby has taken your whole journey by your side. And, if you like its sound (apart from the problems), you'll be hard pressed to find something that hits you the same way. And it's gorgeous. And restored properly it could serve another half-century and maybe your firstborn can inherit it, and they can love the fact that their dad listened to a lifetime of music through it.

O Don Piano and clhboa like this.
  19. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

I am personally waiting on a lightly used Exposure 3010s integrated amplifier to replace my Marantz 2275 as my daily driver. The Marantz is in good working condition and has served me very well since I bought it in 2011 for the princely sum of $275 (back when the prices were much more reasonable). I would like to get it fully restored at some point ($600+ from an experienced technician), but I figured that I would try something more modern in the meantime. I have been using the 2275 as a power amplifier with a Carver CT7 preamp, just for the remote volume control. I wanted a more elegant solution, though. In the end, it really comes down to what you want. I would definitely keep the 2220b, even if you end up getting something newer. You can always sell something, but you can’t always get it back ;)

O Don Piano likes this.
  20. AmadeusMozart

AmadeusMozart Forum Resident

1978 till now: That was cheap running regardless of purchase price. I would not put a limit on how much to spend - you get what you pay for and buying cheap cr@p that stops working after a year is too expensive. Buy once, get the good stuff. It is called TCO, Total Cost of Ownership which is purchase price plus maintenance costs minus any resale value over the years that you own it. You may find that spending a little more you get some equipment you enjoy a lot better and works out cheaper in the long run.

Getting something old like that revamped is a labor of love and it is a major job. Some years ago I bought a 20 year old TenTec transceiver and needed to totally overhaul it, all caps replaced, every single one of them, replace a number of out of spec resistors and then had to retune it completely. Since I've been ill at home and have not been in paid employment for the last 17 years of my working life I did not care spending the time. If I had to pay for the time it would have been several fold the cost of a new transceiver.

Sometime I need tools, I can hire them or I can buy quality tools, use them and then sell them off again. I can also buy cheap tools but then have the difficulty selling them since no-one is interested, professional tools are normally picked up in a jiffy. And the cost of using/owning is with professional tools less than hiring.

I agree with @mackat: it is unlikely you'll get a lot of money for it when selling it in the current condition so you better hang on to it. (but I would not pay someone to "restore it").

PH416156, mackat and O Don Piano like this.
  21. O Don Piano

I plan on hanging onto my 2220b.
    It’s not going anywhere! My plan is that in the next year or so if I happen to come up with enough money to have the thing restored to its original glory, it will be there for me. And I will hold onto it and use it until my dying day.
    I just want something right now that I can rely upon, and use its features that encompass what I’m using today.

Clucking, EddieMann and mackat like this.
  22. O Don Piano

I will reiterate: does anybody know anybody fairly close to where I live in Southern California that restores Marantz receivers?

23. O Don Piano

Gorgeous, innit?

AmadeusMozart, 4_everyman and timind like this.
  24. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

A timeless beauty and elegance, these are the cool amps that get shown off in recent TV shows :)

25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

One more thing. Whenever I have people over (and hopefully I will again), they are always amazed when they see my Marantz 2252b. Or my Pioneer SX-1250. We go off on a tangent talking about how beautiful they are and what fond memories people have of their audio journey. You’ll probably not get that with a newer unit. Maybe, maybe not. But for me that conversation is a big part of the total experience.

AmadeusMozart, timind and jamesmaya like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.