Get Out of My Life SPOTIFY*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trackstar, Jul 31, 2020.

1. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Is Spotify giving these musicians the resources (retainers, salaries, advances, etc.) besides their $0.00000001 per stream to fund the production of new music? No? Then STFU Spotify.

The irony is that Spotify shaming the musicians to produce more music only benefits the Spotify bottom line, not that of the musicians. Thieves.

Geordiepete, Guy E, Ash76 and 66 others like this.
  3. RexKramer

RexKramer Forum Resident

I'd love to see if Adele replies to this.

4. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

The issue with the Spotify CEO is that his company pays musicians a tiny fraction of a cent for a stream. His firm has contributed to the death of physical and then digital music sales (as opposed to streaming subscription services), which paid artists more than what he is offering per stream. Also, the tone deaf nature of his comments is astonishing, to ask musicians to do this in the middle of a global pandemic where their live income streams have dried up. Finally, his greedy and avaricious nature is evident when telling musicians to hurry up and give him something new will benefit him exponentially more than it benefits any musician on his platform.

Thief.

Guy E, Ash76, goodiesguy and 50 others like this.
  5. Brodnation

Brodnation The Future Never Dies because Tomorrow Never Knows

They were also about half the length and filled with covers and filler.

6. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Van Dyke Parks:

Forty years ago, co-writing a song with Ringo Starr would have provided me a house and a pool. Now, estimating 100,000 plays on Spotify, we guessed we’d split about $80. When I got home, on closer study, I found out we were way too optimistic. Spotify (on par with other streamers) pays only .00065 cents per play.

7. JerryGarciaIsGod

JerryGarciaIsGod Active Member

It seems Spotify have become the new greedy recording executive.

Geordiepete, Ash76, BobFever and 9 others like this.
  8. Brodnation

In some ways it kinda is! (but not in a good way). The Beatles notoriously bad initial contract gave them each 0.002 per single sold.

goodiesguy, fretter, Tommyboy and 3 others like this.
  9. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I'm not sure this true any more. A lot of the best new albums I've heard in the last year or so have been around the 35-45 minute mark.

team2 and McCool71 like this.
  10. Brodnation

I mean: technically, no ones forcing Spotify exclusivity right?

11. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every record company with a back catalogue is involved.

12. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Which is still much higher than Spotify pays. At least each Beatle received that ridiculously low amount. Spotify pays the entire band much less than that.

13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Spotify should spend it’s money on paying whatever it costs to get the legal reasons or whatever else is keeping an artist’s missing discography titles fixed and then allowed on the streaming services!

homeslice and stollar like this.
  14. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

If you support Spotify by subscribing to their service you simultaneously undermine the financial viability of the artists. It can be no other way. You choose.

mjb, petem1966, Tuck1977 and 31 others like this.
  15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Besides, in the 60s and even the 70s some times you could get two albums in a single year.

16. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

You have about a 7 year period now of where you're hot in the public eye and on fire with your recordings. After about 7 years, artists seem to cool off and become irrelevant. If you're taking extended gaps in that 7 years, welp, you'll go back to office work or something.

17. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

This has nothing to do with Spotify in particular but the current marketplace in general. I know Spotify has becoming the favourite whipping boy, but what he's saying applies to all streaming, even with services that may pay higher rates.

It's a streaming world and it requires a different approach. So I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying.

hangwire13, MHP, stollar and 9 others like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

No, but Patreon at least engages this issue with services and advice for creators.

Know who runs Patreon? Somebody who releases his own band's music videos for free, each and every week...as well as his own self-run jazz combo, and music by his wife, on a regular basis...and makes a profit above and beyond his Patreon earnings, on YouTube...as well as on Spotify. Which allows him latitude to work at Patreon's L.A. offices three days a week...and, record videos in a studio in L.A. with session musicans three other days a week. And before you ask...he was doing this for years, before he even started Patreon...

;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Louise Boat and PhilBorder like this.
  19. Brodnation

The Beatles deal (assuming it was quoted in 60's dollars) would be about 0.055 per single per Beatle today. Or about 425 (.00065) Spotify plays.

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

goodiesguy, homeslice, 2141 and 2 others like this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

No point in comparing old days to new days. No one is going to pay enough for music, via streaming, so that the old pay rates can be a reality again and we already know what's happening with physical media. It's still there, but not big enough to sustain a purchase of another swimming pool and house for Van Dyke Parks.

21. JerryGarciaIsGod

JerryGarciaIsGod Active Member

If i am honest, streaming and that whole scene is just an extension of the usual record business ********, that's happened since the record business was a thing . they've done this **** for years and if labels really cared they'd all team up to do something BUT they don't care as they still earn money from the artist in other ways (merch, tours, etc)

the Labels are complicit, and have always found ways to con money from artists/producers. It seems the only respected man was Ahmet Ertegun since people actually mourned his passing.

22. angelo73

angelo73 ⬚⿻⬚⿻⬚

Fortunately there are other streaming platforms with better sound quality, music selection, and public relations.
    Spotify is utterly irrelevant.

23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m sure you mean irrelevant to you. Spotify is anything but irrelevant, unfortunately.

And this executive’s comments are outrageous.

24. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I never knew that just because you are a musician, you're entitled to a living wage. Sign me up.

But to elaborate, the industry has changed and if you're not putting out product, you're gonna be left behind.

25. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident