Get Out of My Life SPOTIFY*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trackstar, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:16 PM.

1. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Tell us schnitzerphilip how you excell at your work and arrive at just the right amount of income for your efforts.

2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I read about this last year. Not so much issues but the expenses involved, they only became profitable a year ago. I'll see if I can find it.

eddiel likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but, if you have the free version of spotify, and only use it to check out certain things, it really hurts no one, and might help the artists you check out should you end up buying their album, or albums.

BeatleJWOL and angelo73 like this.
  4. Brodnation

Brodnation The Future Never Dies because Tomorrow Never Knows

Are you storing your records in a sandbox or something?

BeatleJWOL and schnitzerphilip like this.
  5. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Because artists and others made a big stink about Spotify payments on old catalog instead of thinking about what it does to their legacy and future discovery (read: payments). If artists think by pulling old catalog, they're going to get paid any more money in the future by current and future generations, they're in for a rude awakening. Or if they think that they're going to be discovered or remembered, they're wrong.

Does anyone remember the forum having this exact same discussion over the Prince catalog because it wasn't available on Spotify?

I am close friends with a music fanatic. I sent her this thread for review since we were discussing some music today anyway. Her exact words were: "...don't understand that the internet is the library now and most people if they can't find something on spotify won't look any further for it."

blair207 and schnitzerphilip like this.
  6. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Seriously? It’s fairly well-known information that easily verifiable via a google search but here goes:

Subscribe to read | Financial Times (“How streaming saved the music industry”)

‘We’ve got more money swirling around’: how streaming saved the music industry

Spotify saved the music industry. Now what?

How streaming saved the music industry in Nashville | Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce

For a more academic source, there is this -
    https://scholarlycommons.pacific.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1044&context=backstage-pass (“Why Streaming is a Good Thing for the Music Industry”)

7. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Again, $1 million today is worth a lot more than $1 million spread out over 30 years. No comparison.

I thought this quote was interesting:

"Though Spotify and Apple Music play host to a wide range of musicians and genres of music, the division of profits across this spectrum is hardly democratic. According to Damon Krukowski, a contributing writer for Pitchfork, “data trackers at BuzzAngle Music [found that more] than 99 percent of audio streaming is of the top ten percent most-streamed tracks. Which means less than one percent of streams account for all other music.” As far as compensation goes, ten percent of artists featured on Spotify or Apple Music divide 99 percent of streaming revenue between themselves, while the other one percent of profit is divided between the other 90 percent of artists. This is a wildly unequal system that appears to create a self-fulfilling industry where an artist needs a hit to make it big but needs to be a big name already to get that song played. This dearth in upward mobility appears symptomatic of the inequality that pervades the entertainment industry — even America at large."

Quoted from Consider the artist: how music streaming services affect smaller musicians

You really are passionate about the economics of streaming. May I ask why? Whom do you see it benefiting most?

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Drum machines are not inherently evil.

Radio and Brodnation like this.
  9. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Cautiously Optimistic

I hope you understand what I am saying though. The solution IMO is for artists who have 'made it' to band together and look out for other artists, instead of 'making it' and then hiding away in their mansions or yachts. They need to give back and help other performers. I'm not sure how much of that really goes on.

10. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Cautiously Optimistic

Nah, not abolished - reimagined and redesigned.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  11. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

12. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

The odds of a vinyl record or magnetic tape degrading and needing replacement is greater than the odds of Apple Music, YouTube Music, or Spotify getting my business.

c-eling likes this.
  13. tages

tages Forum Resident

What an offensive statement.

Never thought I’d read anything like this on a music forum.

Being a human being entitles you to a living wage if you’re willing to work hard.

Yes, it is a real job. You don’t get it.

BeatleJWOL and no.nine like this.
  14. schnitzerphilip

It's inevitable. You will be assimilated.

15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Forum Resident

For what it’s worth, Tidal posted this on Twitter today:

TIDAL’s royalty rate does not depend on the number of users that use the service, and we do have a strong emphasis on making sure we pay fair royalty share to the license holders.

angelo73 likes this.
  16. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

...which is, in most cases, the record company.

bjr and Kingsley Fats like this.
  17. schnitzerphilip

We can adjust for inflation if you like, I'll add a few plays, that should cover it, but in the end for an artist to achieve 1988's Double Platinum status and get that $1 million dollars in revenue, they only need those same 1 million fans to stream their album 10 to 12 times in 30 years. That doesn't sound that daunting. Any Double Platinum album should be able to achieve this. And if said album can't achieve this? Well, it wasn't Double Platinum quality, it wasn't worthy of paying that much money.

I'm passionate about streaming because it saved the music industry and changed the way I listened to music. For it I am eternally grateful. It also makes for great debate. Pros and cons are fascinating, the economics enlightening.

18. Billy Infinity

I imagine you’re right. But it was at least something different from what we hear regarding the big two streaming services.

19. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

At the end of the day, I can be happy with what I physically own for the rest of my life if it comes to that. But, I like new music and don't have a problem paying for it straight from the artist if possible, but I don't want to rent it from a third party. As an aside, I live in PA, and I am already assimilated, as this state is so deep into its residents personal business it's scary.

20. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

The economics are very interesting. I see that Spotify still hasn't made an annual profit and probably won't for a few more years: Loss-making Spotify will continue to put growth ahead of profit for ‘next few years’ - Music Business Worldwide

21. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

It stands to reason that those who stand to benefit from the streaming industry will characterize said industry as indispensable.

22. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

In don’t engage in revisionist historical hypothesizing.

23. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

But it's probably the same thing really. Using the terminology "fair royalty rate" doesn't necessarily mean "fairer royalty rate". I'm sure each streaming platform thinks they pay a fair royalty rate. It's certainly fair to themselves and to the record companies!

But even if it IS a higher percentage, the labels still pay the artist only whatever they're contractually obligated to. So the artist really wouldn't benefit from a higher amount paid by Tidal anyway. Except for the few cases where the artist actually is the license holder.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 8:39 PM
  24. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

The thing is people never had an issue paying for music before the advent of the internet. We were spoiled by the "free" music being stolen and that's why people no longer wish to pay or pay less. Physical will always be a niche from now on but a necessary one.

I use streaming, I consume other digital content. I haven't purchased a movie in years, or a physical video game, but I still enjoy the option.

25. Billy Infinity

Yes. And we could use a lot more of that to address this imbalance.

bjr and no.nine like this.