Get Out of My Life SPOTIFY*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trackstar, Jul 31, 2020 at 4:16 PM.

1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

You are very good at stating the facts however you in fact have no idea about the actual facts.
    In truth you have not idea of the royalty rates paid to the individual artists for either their 15 track CD (more likely to be 10 tracks if you understand how things were done back in the old days) or for their stream. You are using figures that more than likely are nowhere near accurate. The royalty rate paid by the streaming services are paid to the owners of the copyright who in the vastte majority of cases is not the artist.
    On one hand you complain that the artists have been ripping you off for years by only having 1 or 2 decent tracks on their CD's & the rest filler & yet now you are expected us to listen to the full 15 tracks. To me this appears that you are using shifting logic to manipulate the math.

broos, nosliw, panicbeach and 2 others like this.
  2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

And now video games.

Gaslight likes this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Are you saying that your internet works perfectly 365 24/7 ?

BeatleJWOL and APH like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

It's the schnitzel mate, no point...

5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Forum Resident

I don't agree. You're using personal taste as a barometer for someone's pay rate.
    I do agree that some artists have a good amount of filler, but again, that's personal taste.

6. panther_dream

panther_dream Forum Resident

But hard work's not good enough to make it in music. There's a lot of factors yet no formula. There's no minimum wage and you can work 80 hours a week at music and make nothing, and that's not "unfair." It's just how it is.

ARK, BeatleJWOL and ted209 like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

The schnitzel has trouble with this topic... I think he's getting 0.05 per stream or something

O Don Piano, ARK, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  8. Kingsley Fats

So do we conveniently forget that Woodstock & Isle Of Wight were "free" concerts. Not by choice of the promoters but by force from the punters

ARK and schnitzerphilip like this.
  9. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

What does it mean on SHTV when a thread title has an asterisk at the end of it?
    Is it some kind of secret code? I always search (in vain) for the referent.

10. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

It means the title of the thread was changed after it was started.

ARK and Archguy like this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm a capitalist so yeah, I get your point. Nevertheless, it was a price point many consumers were getting tired of paying. Compact discs were still be being treated like luxury items in the late '90's when places like Borders Books kept box sets under lock and key and you had to ask sales staff to open it so you could have a look. So when "alternatives" began to appear, people jumped at the chance and the industry lost a whole generation of potential buyers.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  12. Kingsley Fats

It means that the Chinese Government is taking active interest in the thread. The opinion of a bunch of silly old (mostly) men ranting at clouds is vastly important to their path to world domination.

13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Deezer, Qobuz and Tidal are independent and to an extent depending on how you look at it Pandora may be but Pandora was bought out by SiriusXM, although they haven’t really done much of anything with it since they bought it.

14. Kingsley Fats

Even today the price of CD's in Australia remain overpriced (general releases @ $25 or more).
    (This equates to nearly 1.4 times the average hourly income rate)

ARK and JoeF. like this.
  15. beenieman

beenieman Forum Resident

I'm registered on Spotify but I've never used it, preferring my own library of music and checking what is new on youtube or whatever I hear around me, e.g. my kids.

And I have no time for Spotify's CEO who is a billionaire without ever running a profitable business and I doubt music rather than money is his passion.

But performers are making good money from Spotify if they are popular. Most don't because they are not popular enough. That's no different than any time since recorded music began.

There was a list of the most streamed songs referenced earlier in this thread List of most-streamed songs on Spotify - Wikipedia which elicited comments from people such as I've only ever heard of one or a handful of these artists.

Those individuals are not supporting today's music. If you are listening primarily to music made 30-60 years ago you are not supporting modern music.

Those performers who are popular are making money from their recorded music. Those who are not are making less.

That seems no less, and probably more, fair than the music business has ever been.

And yes as has always been the case the recording companies are greedy.

Johnta7, nosliw, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  16. tages

tages Forum Resident

Great points, but it’s hard to make a living as a musician, which is why we don’t need companies like Spotify making it more difficult by rationalising taking more profit away from musicians.

no.nine and Alan57 like this.
  17. Galaga King

Galaga King Forum Resident

18. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

ted209 likes this.
  19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Music as a business model is eroding or evolving quite quickly these last few decades.
    And maybe it has always been that way.

The breakneck production of albums from 1965 tot (let's say) 1980 may also have been a phase. World tours to promote albums, making albums (and standalone singles) to fuel these sales and finding new crowds for the world tours.
    The thing of (especially) the last ten years is; there's no money in making cds/albums anymore. Even Taylor Swift's Folklore is released on digital platforms (Spotify/Youtube) first, the physical versions are there for the hardcore fans. (Releasing them with different covers is a smart move!). That may be one of the reasons why Important New Releases by major acts won't happen every year....these days it's closer to 5 years.

I think digital formats are here to stay and in the next few years many artists will find a way to make that work for them... just as they did that with the shift from 45s to LPs and from LPs to CDs. The 'general public' is hooked on the digital platforms anyway; Youtube and Spotify (in whatever name or version) are here to stay.
    And I agree; I'll always buy physical format of artists I admire and when the physical product is far better than the streaming versions. But for the rest (and that may be 75% of my listening) streaming is just fine for me, to be honest.

idreamofpikas likes this.
  20. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

FYI-
    Spotify ownership is rather complicated, a.k.a. Greasy:
    • 18.5 %Daniel Ek and his incorporations in Cyprus
    • 3.5% Universal Music Group
    • 2.3% Sony Music
    • 9.1% Tencent Holdings ( a mish mash of cross holding including Sony Music and Warner Brothers and Spotify)
    Who Really Owns Spotify?

21. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

That is true, but a distinction should be made between working hard on music and not getting rewarded because no one is interested vs not getting rewarded if someone is interested and consumes that music. In which case, an artist should be paid for that. But there are no guarantees there like a regular job where you are hired to do work and get paid for doing it. Music is more like an internship, you work for free until someone decides you are good enough to hire! :)

22. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

He seems to be taking a break from hating Spotify, publicly at least. :)

A few years ago he did sue them for streaming music they didn't have a mechanical license for. There was an out of court settlement, with him and others bring the same lawsuit, so perhaps he's taking a break because of it. :)

23. _David_

_David_ Forum Resident

I cancelled my Spotify Premium at the end of last year and have bought more new music this year (downloads and CDs) than ever. I'm back to paying attention to whole albums again, instead of jumping away to playlists if it didn't grab me immediately.

The pure exploitation of Spotify's business model, and the CEO's latest comment, means it's unlikely Spotify will ever get another penny from me.

DTK and Cherrycherry like this.
  24. APH

APH Forum Resident

Clearly some people DID have an issue with paying for music, but had no alternative - well, other than not buying recorded music.
    Some nursed a grudge about buying an album with only 2 good tracks on it for a long time, before finally the chance for payback presented itself.

I also think that once people had paid out big money for a new computer (plus internet costs) , they couldn't afford to pay for anything else after that, and so looked to use their new computer to provide everything else free.

Yovra likes this.
  25. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Of course people had a problem paying for music. Home taping was allegedly killing music. In the CD era every factory had a go to guy to get home burnt CDs. People in general love to get music cheaper as they don’t really value physical product. I know people who will only use the the free version of Spotify and complain about the adverts. Some people are just misers.

APH and DTK like this.