Get Shorty (2017 series on Epix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by will_b_free, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident Thread Starter

Congrats to Chris O'Dowd (of The IT Crowd) for landing the lead role! I'm looking forward to this 10-part series. It is airing on Epix, and there is an Epix app - but in order to use the Epix app, you need to subscribe to Epix via your "cable TV provider". (Remember cable? It is how people used to get television content before television content moved to internet-based streaming apps).

Epix has released the first episode on YouTube, for free, so at least everyone can enjoy the first episode.

Maybe the series itself will turn up on Netflix or Amazon Prime or something before long?

Deesky likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Don't get that channel

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So Epix did a free access promo over the weekend and I dvr'd the entire series. Just finished it and really enjoyed it. Another tale of the seedy side of Hollywood A la Ray Donovan, what's not to Like!? The only bone thrown to us Get Shorty fanboys was a scene where cars are passing a guard gate to get into the studio. From the rear we see a car waved thru as the guard calls out; "good morning Mr. Palmer"!

4. George P

George P Notable Member

It's turned up on Netflix. Just started watching it.

5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

This show is a lot of fun. Chris O'Dowd is perfect for this role. Ray Romano is very good in it as well. Two seasons so far.

Robert M. likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a big fan of O'Dowd and Romano so I'm not sure how this series slipped under my radar for so long. I'm 4 eps in so far in season 1 and am loving it. I'm seeing elements of Breaking Bad with Tarantino-like dark humor.

eddiel likes this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thank you for the heads-up about Netflix. We watched season one and absolutely LOVED it. Chris O'Dowd and Sean Bridges are just magical together. O'Dowd is just plain fantastic in this. The rest of the cast is stellar as well.

I signed up for a 14-day free trial for Epix last week so we could binge season 2. It's just as good as season 1. We finished it a couple hours ago and I'm going through major withdrawal. I haven't enjoyed a series this much in a while - with the exception of the excellent Mrs. Maisel.

Watch season 1 on Netflix now.

enro99 and George P like this.
  8. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

On the season 2 finale as I type. Great to see Tuco from Breaking Bad turn up as Swayze in the prison scenes. I couldn’t make him out in the previous long distance shots. That was a pleasant surprise

daveidmarx and George P like this.
  9. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Quality.

10. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was everything I’d hoped for and more. And I had underestimated Ray Romano, who really carved out an original character here.

The tone of the series is slightly lighter than Breaking Bad... somewhere between Weeds and Breaking Bad.

jriems, pablo fanques and woody like this.
  11. woody

woody Forum Resident

“All my love John Stamos.”

12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Yeah I was CERTAIN we'd get a Stamos cameo and then they dropped that story line. Also thought there would be more about the overeager PA/roommate who landed a role in Admiral's Mistress but they never returned to that either

daveidmarx likes this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Fan of both as well and this series slipped under my radar too until I came across an old O'Dowd clip on a US talk show (forget which) where they mentioned it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  14. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I've been watching season one but can't warm up to it. It only feels tangentially like Elmore Leonard to me and seems very stretched out. I am enjoying Sean Bridgers performance.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

will_b_free likes this.
  16. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

George P likes this.
  17. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I am really enjoying this.

George P likes this.
  18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just saw the latest episode last night, WOW! Didn't know Romano had it in him! Great episode BUT....season 3 has been my least favorite so far.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Still a couple to catch up. Thoroughly enjoy this series. Is this season really only 7 episodes long?

20. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Streaming on Amazon Prime now. A great treatment and don't skip the end credits music.

Craig likes this.
  21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ve watched Season One and think it’s terrific. Great performances by all, and very true to Elmore Leonard. Soon to begin Season Two...

As a member of the crew of the original Get Shorty film, it was a delight to see how the material was developed into a much richer and involving story. Kudos to all involved.

marmalade166 and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.