Getting Picky About 'Sticky Fingers'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Biff1

Biff1 Forum Resident

Exile is my favorite Stone's album, and the one I would play for aliens if they asked me "what is this thing called rock & roll?" (That and Chuck Berry's "The Great 28"). Sticky Fingers is right behind Exiles, though. It is quintessential Stones: Loud, dirty, and dangerous. "Brown Sugar", despite it's now unpopular subject matter (understandably) has a great riff. The off-genre tunes ("Wild Horses" and "Dead Flowers") are flat-out brilliant. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" is transcendental. I've distanced myself from some of the music I loved in my youth, but unlike the OP I'm pretty sure that Sticky Fingers will always be one of my favorites.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  2. dee

dee Senior Member

Wonderfully clever thread title :):)

Though I hope you have not washed your hands of this Stones-cold classic!

If one loses Sway though, then I fear 'all is lost' ;):cry:.

3. This! And, I first heard "CYHMK" without headphones. But with them, voila, I could hear a symphony with KR's guitar underneath Taylor's beautiful playing and underneath Jagger's great vocal. As the inner record sleeve suggests, "PLAY IT LOUD!"

ARK and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  4. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I love the deluxe edition. The new remaster makes everything come alive like never before, and the outtakes disc has cool new versions of songs and some quality live performances I had never heard before. I'd highly recommend it.

5. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Sway is tied with Slave as the Stones worst song ever.

J. Frank Parnell likes this.
  6. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I feel like there’s a marked difference between Sticky and Exile. On the former, the songs and clearly defined and distinct, and they trump the vibe. On the latter, they’ve reached deeper still into their influences, and the vibe trumps the songs. Which isn’t to say the songs aren’t great.

I don’t personally understand those who can’t see the genius in songs like “Sway”, “I Got the Blues”, “Sister Morphine” or “Moonlight Mile”, …but we all have different preferences - I recall the indignant reaction of a friend of mine as he ventured past the “hits” of Hot Rocks and into the Stones imperial era … he was aghast, “I don’t get it, it mainly just sounds like bad country and western”. Love him, but at that point you can’t explain - all I could do was let the heathen return to Coldplay.

7. Northernlight

Northernlight Forum Resident

No, I've always loved it. Great organ solo as you say, and great horn arrangement too.

8. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Brown Sugar, while good, suffers a bit from overexposure, I Got The Blues is a bit bland (and always was). But the rest is top tier Stones. As an album I'd rank it slightly below Let It bleed, but above Exile.

9. moops

moops Senior Member

The only thing I get picky about with Sticky Fingers is I can’t decide if it’s brilliant or magnificent.

10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Didn't miss a thing.

DK Pete likes this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Love 'Slave'. Funky Stones is good Stones.

12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Nope I still love the album although Exile remains my absolute favourite. I do skip Brown Sugar as I have just heard it way too often. I still maintain my love for Wild Horses. Moonlight Mile and Sway also remain special for me.

13. TomOli64

TomOli64 Forum Resident

It's mostly a great album but note my fave Stones album.

I've never liked Wild Horses. Too long and too slow for me.

14. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

Of course. Sway and Slave are both killer songs.

15. Snakefinger

Snakefinger Forum Resident

Definitely agree on the Marianne Faithfull "Sister Morphine". Rings much truer with her than Jagger, which makes sense.

16. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

“Wild Horses” seems pretty glorious to my ears, but I’ll concede that if Sticky Fingers was only getting two slots on the seminal Hot Rocks compilation, then I can think of three or four other songs I’d have picked ahead of it.

17. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

i can only surmise you haven’t fully explored the catalogue if either of these are close to winning “Stones’ worst song ever”.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…and the outtake tracks are a good indication of how great a remix would be for the proper album.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I’m indifferent towards Slave but if you can look past the flat, muddy mix, you might feel differently about Sway. In my oh so younger years, I used to actually “dislike” and avoid songs which had what a bad sound. Sway fell into that category (as did all of Goats Head Soup) from the first time I got the album. In recent years, I’m deciding to just accept the sound aspect and even regard it as being a part of the song’s charm. It’s really a great, dirty sounding Rock track.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've loved it since 1971. I can still hear the 8-track cranked up playing in my Realistic Mini=Eight player hung under the dash in my souped up 69 VW Beetle. Sunroof cranked open, summer nights. Warm smell of colitas in the air. :)

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's a wonderful album but Exile is their masterpiece.

22. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

I prefer Let It Bleed and Exile to Sticky Fingers. But taken in total with Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! it is part of the quintessential period of the Rolling Stones discography. They were never as good thereafter.

23. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Anybody know exactly which Sticky outtakes ended up on Exile, as is or otherwise? The Sticky Wiki is vague on the matter...

ARK, dee and mBen989 like this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, the tell on Exile is anything without horns didn't come from Nellcôte.

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I like Exile better, and all of it's muddy, mixed-up squalor. Sticky Fingers is still great album, with a couple of my top ten Stones tunes, "Brown Sugar" and "Dead Flowers." Contrary to near-unanimous opinion, CYHMK is the low point for me. I don't need the 5 minutes of jazzy noodling in the midst of my gritty Stones album, but that's just me.