Getting rid of MoFi Studiodeck motor hum

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Romany, Dec 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Can you hear the hum if you listen via headphones? How about if you needle drop? Does the sound come through to the digital capture?

Thanks.

2. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I had the UltraDeck and couldn't live with the noise of the motor. Music Direct was very accommodating and had me bring it it, since I'm somewhat local. They ran it for a while there and then shipped it back to me. It did seem to quiet down a little with the run in time, but I still didn't feel like the quality of the table warranted the price. I was able to sell after the price increase and not loose too much. It was a jump up from my vintage tables, but nowhere near where I'm at now with my VPI. No need to upgrade anymore and I have what I would consider a "lifetime" table.

3. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

Well, if there is hum and the motor is shut off, how can it possibly be from the turntable? Either the cartridge is picking up magnetic fields from a wall wart or the cables are or the phono preamp is. Its not the turntable, its the user's install.

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Electrical? Like a ground hum? Is it 60 hertz, or a B natural (for those musicians out there)?

5. MacDonals

MacDonals Member

I realized my link was not public, so I've updated it. Yes, this sound like a ground hum to me. I assume this is normal, and I posted to OP could compare. If this isn't normal, please let me know!

6. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Are you using the stock cables? This isn’t normal. I don’t have grounding issues with my StudioDeck, but I remember the stock cables were dreadfully plagued with hum. I can hear the motor if I turn it up well beyond listening levels, but that’s it.

7. MacDonals

MacDonals Member

No, but I'm not using high quality cables either. I don't find that this translates into the playback, even now when I have headphones on. This sounds like the motor working, but if that's supposed to be *silent* (or quieter than below) I'd like to know if I need to contact the seller.

20210721_135109000_iOS.MOV

8. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Oh, I see now. I say if you can’t hear that from your listening seat, who cares? My motor can be heard if you go right up to it, but from the seat it’s inaudible and doesn’t carry into to the signal. It doesn’t bother me.

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I didn't make this clear in my earlier post, but I bought a modded Thorens TD160 earlier this year. It is silent. The deck cost me £425, though in a retailer, maybe it'd be nearer £1000, such is the quality of the build. With the brand you have, the ability they have to source quality parts, and the cost, there's no way you should put up with audible noise at the level you describe. I am assuming you've sent it back by now. If not, you should.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.