Getting rid of tape hiss using Audacity

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gazatthebop, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have many concerts taped on cassette which i am planning to transfer to cdr, some from the 1970's have a lot of hiss. I would like to remove some of it, not necessarily eliminate it but significantly reduce it.

I use a Aiwa AD-F 810 cassette deck to a Sony cd recorder, then rip the cdrw to audacity to seperate the tracks and burn to cdr disc using realplayer.

One option to reduce the hiss is to use Dolby, i.e, set the casette deck to Dolby C where a tape has been recorded with Dolby B.
    Another option is to use the equaliser in audacity to reduce the hiss.

One i am most interested in is the Audacity Noise Removal. I assume this was designed to remove tape hiss?
    It has four settings
    1. Noise Reduction (dB) 1-48
    2. Sensitivity (dB) -20--+20
    3 Frequency Smoothing Hz 0-1000
    4. Attack/decay time 0--10

I have tried several random settings with this but have found as well as removing hiss it is removing some of the music. Can anyone recommend a setting that will remove hiss but very little music, is that possible?

I am aware there are other programmes but Audacity is the one i have and intend to use for this.
    thanks in advance!

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Use only the correct Dolby the tapes were encoded with. No other. Noise reduction is best used minimally. Reducing it is possible, eliminating it will take music with it. Your cassettes are what they are.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Audacity isn't the greatest solution for noise removal. You know what they say: you get what you pay for.

Vidiot and HAmmer like this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

One option to reduce the hiss is to use Dolby, i.e, set the casette deck to Dolby C where a tape has been recorded with Dolby B.

what's the advantage using c over b when the recordings were made with b?

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

Are you taking a sample of the hiss before you try the different settings? You have to do that first for it to work.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The problem is that there's is a lot of music in the range where cassettes are subject to hiss—get rid of the hiss, get rid of the music. Having used the noise reduction setting [sample just the noise] of Audacity I would recommend not using it. I would play back the tapes with the same noise reduction, otherwise there would be audible pumping. I would selectively filter the hiss via eq depending on the volume setting of the music.

7. gazatthebop

Yes i am taking the hiss from just before the music starts

It reduces the hiss but also "muddies" the sound too

8. davmar77

surely not what i'd want. i was never a dolby fan anyway. i think i used it 10 times if that. i actually have an outboard dolby unit that i got along with a teac 2000 reel unit and a ton of reels that were encoded from a friend who no longer wanted it all.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

If there's a way to make the dubs directly to the computer you would have the option of recording in 24 bit. Eq changes made in 24 bit are not subject to the same distortion as 16 bit files. I would bypass the step of the CDR and record in 24 bit to Audacity. There's nothing going on with cassette tapes over 15k, no point in using higher sampling rates. But greater bit depth is useful if you're attempting to make eq changes with cassette tapes,

10. gazatthebop

I have been sampling the hiss removed and yes there is too much music being removed with it, i just wondered if i had the settings wrong. I assume its best to amplify the music as loud as possible in audacity without clipping before doing the eq to lessen the hiss?

11. davmar77

i'd rather have some hiss than lose music. unless you are talking many generations, how bad can it be? otherwise you end up with it sounding like a pillow over the speakers.

12. gazatthebop

I can record to a portable tascam dr07 II in 24 bit rather than cdr, then transfer the file to the computer to eq. A good alternative?. I do not know/have the software to go direct from cassette to computer

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes, that's how I do needledrops, I''ve got a DR-05. If you are going to change the file by changing volume or adjusting eq or using noise reduction tools, you are better off working in 24 bits.

14. gazatthebop

on some of the tapes the hiss is bad, too bad to listen to the tape, not many are like that but there are a few. I have some soundboard tapes that have been recorded too low rather than having gone through generations, also some recorded by journalists for review purposes, they tended to use cheap non branded cassettes

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

No, you want to make the file 24 bit, make the changes and then 'normalize'. And you want to try different settings until you reach the best compromise between signal and noise.

16. gazatthebop

what sample rate 44.1?

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yeah, there's nothing going on in the top octave of the kinds of tapes you describe.

18. gazatthebop

Most of the cassettes are high quality TDK SA-X and Maxell XL II-S (if you know your audio cassettes!!)

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I do, I used to mass duplicate concert tapes [DAT sourced] in real time. TDK SA-X. No top octave, stops around 10k. If you want the top octave you'll need metal tape and a SOTA cassette deck.

20. gazatthebop

so 44.1 is fine with SA-X?

21. gazatthebop

only got one metal tape think its an MA-X(G) (metal shell) gee those were expensive!!!!

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

44.1k is fine with LPs, much less cassettes. Others will disagree, but I've experimented with 96k, hear no improvement but the file gets really big. If I heard an improvement I would record in 96k. But I don't. YMMV. But I don't think so from the description of the sorts of tapes that are giving you grief.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes! I got a lot at close to $10 a pop. But if you were willing to hit the tape real hard, you could skip NR altogether.

24. gazatthebop

I have had most of these cassettes 20-35 years, always stored away from sunlight at room temp. Will they have deteriorated much sound wise? Some of the cheaper ones snap at the end of the leader tape which i can repair easily. I just wonder how much longer i can wait to transfer them before they deteriorate

25. gazatthebop

what do you mean "hit the tape"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.