Getting Started With Captain Beefheart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 29, 2020.

1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

For years I have been led to believe by the music press that Captain Beefheart was a genius. I've tried to listen to Trout Mask Replica many times, but can't make it through the whole album. If you were introducing someone to Beefheart today, in what order would you list his albums? "Start here, then this, then this, then Trout Mask Replica... etc"

2. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Well. Maybe try the Safe As Milk period? Or Bat Chain Puller, Bluejeans & Moonbeams, Ice Cream For Crow, Doc At The Radar Station too.

I'd start with Clesr Spot though. That's their ability to create some kind of commercial crossover in an alternate Beefheart-ian reality. (Well. When did DVV not live in his own world?) But it's an absolute masterpiece.

3. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Doc At The Radar Station is a good one. Has the classic angular Beefheart vibe, but not overly difficult to get into.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't think that Trout Mask is really the best starting point for a novice. If you dig an older 60s blues based sound, Safe as Milk is the natural choice. I also agree that Clear Spot is a winner that's a bit more accessible without watering things down too much. I would also recommend Shiny Beast/Bat Chain Puller from his later period.

5. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Clear Spot -or- The Spotlight Kid

If you're still wanting more, then...

Ice Cream For Crow -or- Doc At The Radar Station

Still good? Then...

Lick My Decals Off, Baby -or- Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)

Hey, still want more? Then ...

Safe As Milk -or- Trout Mask Replica

If you're able to get through 4 of those, you should have a pretty good idea whether you love him or hate him. Actually, you'll probably have a good idea if you hate him after just 1 album. Happy listening!

6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This, pretty much.
    I'm not a big fan of Bluejeans & Moonbeams.

7. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Safe As Milk seems the most natural place to start for me and not just from a chronological point of view. If it's too far out, try Clear Spot or something. If it's not far enough out maybe it's time to try Trout Mask Replica again. If you want more groove, try Mirror Man.

8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

These are some great suggestions. But don't feel bad if you can't get into the Captain,
    as he's not for everybody. But even if you're not a fan, please be advised he is a genius.
    :--)

Oh, and kudos to you... you are a thread starting MONSTER! You kick them out like crazy!
    :--)

9. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

Something I believe in, if you don't like something, you shouldn't keep trying.

Me and a friend have been into The Fall since we were teenagers around when The Fall started.

Around that time he got into Beefheart and Zappa as well, but I couldn't.

Sometime in my 30s I gave it another try. Beefheart clicked, and a few Zappa tracks.

In my 50s now I still like Beefheart but have never got past a few Zappa tracks.

Maybe one day Zappa will click, but I'm not going to push it.

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

He was a genius. And Trout Mask Replica is a masterpiece. Personally I'd said keep trying with TMR -- either you'll like it or not (I wouldn't necessarily try to come to it just with rock references either). But if you want some easier entry points -- Safe as Milk, Mirror Man and maybe Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), or better, the issue of Bat Chain Puller as it had been originally planned. That's all great music, but also more regular in form and more conventional in terms of its reliance on forms that will be recognizable to rock fans -- not the collage-produced, polymetric, irregular, rapidly shifting musical miniatures of TMR or Lick My Decals Off Baby.

11. majorlance

Come to think of it, I had a similar experience with TMR. (It's been over 40 years & it took some coffee to shake the memory loose.) One of my housemates used to play TMR nonstop. Some of it sounded interesting, but most of it sounded just weird-for-weird's-sake.

In the fall of 1978, I was assigned to review CB's performance at the old Bijou Cafe in Philly for my college paper. Took the housemate as my plus-one. This was the Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) tour.

Suffice to say that, sitting 20 feet away while CB & the Magic Band played that music got me well & truly hooked. I gave TMR a spin the next day & it made perfect sense!

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Also, since the material on TMR is so unconventional, especially if you're coming just from a rock and pop POV, it can help to have someone kind of guide you through it, and they you can begin to hear it differently. This video is terrific:

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"Safe As Milk". Proceeding chronologically works with Beefheart.

RAZORMADE, Crimson Witch, DTK and 3 others like this.
  14. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Clear Spot and Spotlight Kid two-fer and then carry on back!

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Trout Mask Replica is close to the LAST Beefheart album I'd suggest for a novice. It's one of his most difficult works. Others have provided good lists of how to work your way through the discography.

16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...my vote for best album opener. :cool::thumbsup:

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah dont push it. Just like with Beefheart theres no obvious starting place. Just let it fall into place. Love all three of those.

sharedon likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's Captain Beefheart when he was a pop powerhouse. Great to dance to, and as you can tell he was all about pleasing the crowd. Produced by David Gates of Bread:

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

20. majorlance

Love this clip. Didn't know it existed.
    Shame they didn't have CB read the commercial for Dentyne! :tiphat:

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I agree with Vangro up there. Beefheart is one artist that works better chronologically.
    Safe as milk had enough connection to the blues to give you a taste of his kind of sound. As you progress through, you'll get the introduction of strangeness, then it relaxes a bit with Clear Spot and Spotlight Kid. Then it gets a little bland and uninspired with Unconditionally Guaranteed ... Bluejeans and Moonbeams is a much more successful attempt at a commercial album.
    Then for me the Captain finds his balance, and Shiny Beast, Doc at the Radar Station and Icecream for Crow have all the Captain's weirdness and personality, but he finds the balance of his extremes and finishes out strongly.
    I don't really subscribe to the genius thing, I reckon he's great, but if there was any genius involved, it was from the Magic Band managing to translate Beefheart's ideas into music

22. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

You can safely begin and end with "Safe As Milk".
    The rest is ... acquired taste.

But I've heard other things since then and while
    I have "... Mask", don't start there. Maybe jump
    to his last, "Ice Cream for Crow". Some mid-'70s
    things are fun, too.

But, not to burst your bubble: A genius, I dunno.
    Credit him for at least indicating what he wanted
    out of his bands. That alone was a struggle, since
    Don didn't know how to play his instruments.

I've read "hack" in descriptions of his prowess.
    Whatever. He assemble some great bands and
    the result is very mixed.

23. TheDailyBuzzherd

Yeah, a real corker! What a weird intersection of culture.
    Found it in me YT feed last month. It's a great track.

24. TheDailyBuzzherd

Yep, there's lots of uploads "analyzing" the LP. Your mileage may vary.

Related, someone FINALLY landed an interview with Jeff Cotton not too long ago.

25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Safe as Milk is the best starting point IMO. If you want a path to “getting” TMR, I’d go Safe as Milk, then Lick my Decals Off, then Trout Mask

Crimson Witch and YardByrd like this.