Getz / Gilberto 80's-90's compact disc mix Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RnRmf, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Let me know what you think!

RiRiIII likes this.
  2. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Question: do all versions of Getz/Gilberto have that bad edit near the end of Stan's solo in "Corcovado"? It's around 2:55 in the album version, 1:02 in the 45 RPM, and I find it extremely jarring -- it drops about an eighth note's worth of time, making a "hiccup" in the meter.

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I think the edit is on the 3-track master (I have it as a sixteenth note missing - my bars must be twice as long):

Getz/Gilberto Analogue Productions Hybrid SACD

ostrichfarm likes this.
  4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

A bit late to this thread.

Often I agree with you. But not in this case. The AP SACD is clearly an «aviod» by me. I have stored it on the ceiling in my Do Not Play section.

If you had heard the AP 45rpm that was cut at the same time as the SACD, you would agree with me, the Lp is THAT much better. The Lp breaths, the SACD does not. Not to wonder, all those late SACDs mastered by Marino using that old 20 bit pcm A/D converted to DSD are total loss in my ears.

Compared the AP 45 rpm side by side with the SHM-SACD. Different mix. The SACD a bit bass heavy, the sax a bit in your face, Astrud in the right...the Lp use a tape that are a bit «distant» in sound. Summary; both the 45 rpm Lp and the SHM-SACD breaths and communicate with me, in a different way.

RiRiIII likes this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Interesting dear @Espen R. Thanks. I will reevaluate... in the meantime another SACD appeared. Tower SACD with 2018 DSD transfer: Astrud lefty.

6. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Remember, always what pleases you, my friend ;) Getz/Gilberto is one of the most well recorded album of all time, and will always sounds «good», no matter how...you know what I mean..:)

RiRiIII likes this.
  7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I actually still have a copy of an attempt I made at fixing this, with some notes written on the CD-R . Reversed the channels, which was easy, but it looks like I took out 2.5 db at 12k rather than 15k. I think that brought it down to a not-bothersome level, but I can probably take a better crack at fixing the "air." Probably worthwhile because I remember the transfer being really good, it just needed some easing in the EQ. I imagine this may be the best way to hear the original stereo mix in digital, which isn't ideal but at least doable for most.

RiRiIII, Devin and jfeldt like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

As long as that bug killing top end is removed, it is the best one, yes. Not on the master tape like that, EQ added by MoFi for no good reason..

RiRiIII, Devin and C6H12O6 like this.
  9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I did a few tests early this morning on "Ipanema" and "O Grande Amor" from the MFSL CD, between both 12k and 15k and initially trying -2.5 db and -5 db.

I think 12k is indeed the sweet spot, not 15k. That top end "air" is surprisingly louder and much more prominent (and more irritating) when dipping the EQ at 15k instead of 12k.

On my ear monitors with the sound cranked up, -2.5 db isn't quite enough, and I kind of gravitated to -5 db. With the sweet spot settled, I loaded them back up and moved the EQ back and forth between -2.5 and -5 and in between. I preferred -5 on fresh and rested ears. (I mention that last detail because I've noticed when you've been listening to music all day, your ears can get less sensitive to higher frequencies and in sometimes what seemed right may feel a little dull.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.