Getz/Gilberto Analogue Productions Hybrid SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve O, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been listening to the redbook layer of this today. Sounds excellent. There are, however, several drop outs and other tape problems. But no complaints! I'm really glad I bought this. I'd be interested if anyone here can compare this one with the "K2HD" version on the Lim label.

2. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

I recently found a very clean Verve Japanese pressing LP in the used bin. I still might grab the AP down the road just because I've been very pleased with the releases I've heard so far.

3. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident Thread Starter

Never mind about the Lim version I mentioned in the first post. Forget it. The AP is the one I'm going to be listening to from here on out! I'm now GOOD :edthumbs: re: this album!

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I didn't realize this SACD was out yet. Has anyone listed to the SACD layer and compared it to other SACD issues?

Are any of the other Analogue Productions Verve SACDs out yet?

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

O yes. Another 3: Peterson/Requests, B Holiday, Ella & Louis (mono).

6. Um, so which instruments are in which channel on this issue?

7. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound from the Absolute Original Analog Master Tapes!

The original master tapes for this title had not been used since 1980 previous to this reissue. Also, for this Analogue Productions reissue the decision was made to master and present this album as it was originally mixed to master tape. With only one exception - the Speakers Corner reissue - all versions of this title to date have had the channels incorrectly reversed. And again, those reissues you've heard up until now - definitely still breathy, warm and rich - were made from something less than the master. Prepare to hear the veil removed.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Is the 45 RPM out? That's the one I want.

9. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

1980?

If that statement is correct, what source did MFSL use for the Ultradisc? And the Speakers Corner LP, wasn't that touted as cut from the original 2-track master? It's a nice sounding LP nonetheless.

EDIT: Answers to be found here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=145400&highlight=getz+gilberto

10. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Agreed but I'll probably buy the SACD too. This is one title that will probably sell out on 45.

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have only listened to the DSD layer of this disc, but I have heard it a couple of times and I love it. I have never owned this title before on any other format, so I can not compare it to anything.

12. therockman

Yes, there are four out and I have all four. I posted my thoughts a couple of days ago in the thread that is devoted to this series.

13. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

The Ella and Louis mono is the next Verve AP title on my list. Have you heard it yet?

14. KeithH

Thanks. I will have to get these discs. It will probably be a few months before Amazon gets them.

15. triple

triple Senior Member

16. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I was under the impression the 2-track mix would be used.

Michael says the 3-track was mixed live to 2-track.

Oddly enough, the mono mix is still sitting in a vault somewhere unused.

17. Lespaul59

Lespaul59 New Member

An addendum: The FIM ultimate disc release of We Get Requests is easily the best performer of this album. It outpaces the APSACD in every regard including dynamics, extension, and timbre. I don't really care about which masters were used, very very few of us would be able to tell the difference of a master tape or a tape dupe anyway, it just sounds better and its track listing is much more agreeable in terms of flow.

EDIT: The APSACD Getz/Gilberto is top notch, albeit the tape flaws. The FIM release is dull and unexciting. The MFSL is the best sounding of the 'how it was released' versions and the AP is just a different creature, but still just amazing.

18. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Were are you guys getting these? Are these going to be like the Blue Note AP SACD's in that they will be available at Amazon for less in a few months.

19. Lespaul59

Lespaul59 New Member

I'm sure they will, AP usually takes anywhere from 4 - 10 weeks to put their product on amazon. Preorder once they announce release date because amazon's price fluctuations usually work out in your favor with the pre order guarantee

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

No, not yet.

21. therockman

The AP edition of We Get Requests is a true 3-channel SACD and sounds so alive and open. With the piano spread across the front of the room in three speakers, it really brings this album to life. The dynamics of the center channel are not to be believed. I have never heard the FIM version, but I just do not see how it could beat the organic sound and wide dynamics of this true multi-channel DSD disc.

GruvyWade likes this.
  22. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Can you be more specific about the quantity and duration of the APSACD Getz/Gilberto tape flaws and dropouts etc?

23. KeithH

Steve has commented about tape dubs being used for various versions of We Get Requests. It's possible that FIM used one of these dubs. See this post by Steve a few months ago:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=6590986&highlight=get+requests#post6590986

Then see this post in the same thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6591035&postcount=796

It would seem that Analogue Productions used the right tapes, while others haven't.

Also, Steve has been critical of the MFSL Getz/Gilberto gold disc, stating there is a treble boost. I got a copy recently but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Ditto for the SHM-SACD. For now, the Japanese SACD from 2005 is my favorite version.

24. therockman

You need to hear the new AP SACD!! :righton:

25. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

What are the "other tape problems?"