"Gigli" MOVIE OF THE YEAR!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JohnG, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS! Thread Starter

Gigli

[​IMG]

Anybody brave enough to sit through this one?

It's getting some of the most scaving reviews I've ever seen.

I still haven't seen last years worst "Swept Away" starring Madonna.

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

It's getting press that's even worse than "Swept Away". It's been compared to "Ishtar", "Glitter", "Showgirls" and "Battlefield Earth". I predict it will be DOA at the box office (even if it's not as bad as most reviewers are saying).

Am I going to brave this movie? Not a chance.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

What a shame...all the hard work that's put into a movie...I've never trusted the words of a critic...alway's better to follow ones feeling. Many of my favorite movies have been shot down by the critics...

4. James RD

James RD Senior Member

5. Matt

Matt New Member

I don't think you can really make a general judgment about critics, one, because EVERYBODY is a critic regardless of whether they are professionally or not, and two, because there's an enormous difference from Jonathan Rosenbaum to Roger Ebert to the local hack who likes everything made, but usually when a movie gets bad press all around, it usually is pretty bad. Yeah, a lot of hard work was put into that movie, but a lot of hard work is put into EVERY major Hollywood production, regardless of the quality.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I must admit I'm intrigued by reports that preview audiences gave it the lowest rating of any movie ever!! I'm disinclined to shell out 10 bucks to see it, but ya never know...:rolleyes:

7. JohnG

Who wants to bet Jimbo sees it? :D

Whadda the odds!!!

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

A staggering 5% fresh rating on the "tomatometer" at rottentomatos.com.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Gigli-1124237/

The only other movie in recent memory with a rating like that was "Master of Disguise".

This movie is from Martin Brest, the director of some pretty darn good movies like "Scent of a Woman", "Midnight Run", and "Beverly Hills Cop". Looks like he's hit quite the career low.

Dan C

9. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Ah, I've got that beat!

Check out the fresh rating for Roberto Benigni version of "Pinocchio" :eek:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Pinocchio-1119026/

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Okay, Michael, I dare you to see this one and report back your findings here...

:D

Believe me, I know how much work goes into the making of a movie - and I also know that no one sets out to make a bad film - but sometimes all the best intentions get you is a big steaming pile of...

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The "couple" should have waited until AFTER the movie premiered to get all lovey dovey in public.

People hate it when "couples" make movies (Sean Penn & Madonna, etc.)

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It is being said that Miramax has postponed the release of the new Kevin Smith film "Jersey Girl" so as to not have it associated with this film. This is what happens when gossip hype overwhelms what is really happening with these people.

I still wonder just how bad this film can be. I'm not paying to find out, however!

Evan

13. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The backlash from this one is bound to hurt Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl when it comes out next year, which is too bad, because the advance word on that one is actually pretty good. Unfortunately, Affleck convinced Smith to cast J-Lo, and I think it'll wind up backfiring.

Fortunately, J-Lo's only in about a quarter of Smith's film. You watch, I bet when they start promoting it, you'll see very little mention of J-Lo being in the film.

Incidentally, there was something on the news the other day saying that J-Lo was so upset with the reviews, that she vows that she and Affleck will never work together again.

Can we get that in writing? :rolleyes:

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Promises, promises.....!:laugh:

Evan

15. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

J. Lo should just focus on her music career. :laugh:

Didn't I read somewhere that Kevin Smith, using a pseudonym, sent a scathing review of Gigli to Ain't it Cool News?

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I agree. They're both very talented, but you DO NOT WORK TOGETHER unless you really want to put some possible ice on someone's career.

Sean & Madonna, exactly.

17. JohnG

true...that Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman pairing resulted in a lackluster film also. Actually make that 2 lackluster films...weren't they in Far Away (The Irish Story).

18. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

If you can't make a film appealing in the "Coming Attractions", which is true of this film IMO, what chance does it stand when it's released commercially? Even a bad film can be made to look presentable as a trailer, but they couldn't even do THAT w/ this movie.

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I liked this one from theworldjournal.com:
    "Might I suggest that the wayward wooden one end it all by stuffing himself into an electric pencil sharpener?"

Ouch! :eek: :laugh:

As bad as a movie might be, there's always one that's worse.

Dan C

20. Michael

I loathe Jaylo..You'd have to pay ME to see anything with her in it! Piles of steaming doo doo are subjective...EVERY movie starring hiphoppers is a joke to me IMOP...yet they are PRAISED by the critics? To quote one of my favorite News people..."Give Me A Break"...

21. Michael

There have been other successful married couples in movies for years...:)

22. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I think that's true in the classic B&W era: Bogie and Bacall, Hepburn and Tracy, Abbott and Costello (er, scratch that last one).

But it does seem that in "modern" times (the last 15 years or so) that being a couple who stars together just causes the celebrity "press" to come unglued and become rude and insulting (the presses penchant for calling Ben and Jennifer: "Bennifer", for example).

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

In the good old days, stars had people to protect them from the press when they did and said stupid things.

Today, JL can say dumb things, do dumb things, be bitchy as hell and no one seems to care, they just love her for some reason.

However, the critics HATE her so when she "slips", they pounce. Same with Madonna. Fair or unfair? Don't know, don't care.

Lopez has like five makeup people around her at all time, but no one who can tell her to just keep her nose clean. It's sad, but she makes like 100 million a year so who's a fool?

Attached Files:

24. Michael

You have a point there Jeff...:)

25. Michael

Gotcha! Doesn't matter how many birds she has flocking around her She still can't sing, act, and no matter what pose she strikes, it leave's me flaccid... That woman is a shank plain and simple...I am miffed how she became so big??? I guess I'm a poor judge of celebrity...I'll leave it at that...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.