GIK Acoustic treatments

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oliver Meyer, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here Thread Starter

I decided to go ahead and order some room treatments. GIK were very helpful and I used the room design programme software.
    My listening room is pretty much bare walls and a rug so I hope this will be beneficial.
    I will have two Alpha 6A bass traps (24"square) on the rear wall, 244 bass traps (24x36") for side reflections and a combination (2 of each) of Monster Bass traps and 6A Alphas (12x45") behind the speakers. The Alphas have the natural wood 1D pattern. All have black fabric.
    Anyone else have have treatments and how was the impact?

Galactus2 and NOS300B like this.
  2. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I just recently put in tri-trap corner bass traps from GIK, and a couple of acoustic panels on a wall on either side of a window. Unfortunately, I've been so busy since then, I haven't had a chance to critically listen down there to experience the impact.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  3. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I have their 242 panels at the 1st & 2nd reflection points, and then a couple more 242s that I've been experimenting with. They made a very big difference, really allowed the sound to be clearer and more focused.

NOS300B and Oliver Meyer like this.
  4. Oliver Meyer

This is what I'm hoping for. I'm really happy with my speaker placement but all those bare walls can't be helping.

5. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Could members post images of their room treatments/ or care to report their findings?:)

6. Oliver Meyer

I won't have mine till middle of August. As soon as there up I will post pictures and results

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

My GIK panels were supposed to ship yesterday. Still no word today.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  8. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Well, the room was a mess, with different materials on three of the four walls (pine on studs, sheetrock, and built-in shelving). Just dealing with the first reflection point made a giant difference. Sort of the aural equivalent of the first time you put on a new pair of prescription eyeglasses. Much less fuzzy around the edges.

The Pinhead and Oliver Meyer like this.
  9. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

I’m about to place an order myself.... did anyone happen to go with their “room kits?” Does it save any money?

Also did anyone experiment with their premium fabric options or their premium wood veneer options or their scatter plate options?

Did you guys get full range or range limited for the first reflection points?

10. Oliver Meyer

This was my order. The monster traps have the scatter plates

I will have two Alpha 6A bass traps (24"square) on the rear wall, 244 bass traps (24x36") for side reflections and a combination (2 of each) of Monster Bass traps and 6A Alphas (12x45") behind the speakers. The Alphas have the natural wood 1D pattern. All have black fabric.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I bought some of their Impression series panels that were on sale a couple weeks ago. I chose the Mahogany veneer, charcoal fabric and "Braids Square" pattern. I should receive them on Tuesday. I would have liked thicker panels but I didn't like any of the pattern options for those. Regardless, the 2" panels should be at least as good as the drab square Auralex panels I currently use.

Strat-Mangler and Oliver Meyer like this.
  12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

GIK bass traps here and we have diffusers on order.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  13. Oliver Meyer

Where have you placed the bass traps and was there a noticeable difference?

14. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Corners of the front wall. Bought them when we had Cornwall's. Noticeable difference. Using open baffles know and not sure we need any bass treatment.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I’m a believer after having been a customer for a few years now. If you do it right you will notice a positive change. I have some more to add yet, but for me, it definitely improved imaging and bass while noticeably reducing clap effect / reflections

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

When installing room treatments install them piece by piece to understand what each one does to the sound.

17. Oliver Meyer

I should receive all my panels together so I planned on playing around with positioning how high up the walls etc.

18. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Here's some 242 panels on the front wall. What you're not seeing are the panels on the side walls at the 1st/2nd reflection points, and one overhead at that reflection point (since then, the equipment rack has moved back, out of the frame, to get it out of the corner and towards the back wall behind the 1st/2nd reflection points).

[​IMG]

33na3rd and Echoes Myron like this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  20. Oliver Meyer

Received my panels and for now I have them on the floor in roughly the position they should be and it is night and day the difference they make.

EVOLVIST, Galactus2, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  21. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I love the GIK products. I use four of the 2A Alpha series diffuser/absorbers along one of the long walls and also one on a brick fireplace behind the listening position. For $500 you will never add a more effective sonic improvement IMO. I also have a couple of bass traps behind the speakers and corner traps. My room was a bit challenging with a wall of windows on one side and some odd indentation structures as you can see from the photo but the GIK products were transformational and handled the challenges with ease.

[​IMG]

benzo, EVOLVIST, G E and 13 others like this.
  22. Oliver Meyer

23. Oliver Meyer

24. Oliver Meyer

Absolutely blown away by the difference the panels have made.

SirMarc, jfeldt, mreeter and 9 others like this.
  25. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Ive got the thick panels on the wall, and the moveable ones for the side reflection (which are fun to experiment with and to put away when wife says so!). Also, i have a low ceiling in the basement, so GIK recommended 2 inch panels and i made a suspension system myelf with eye hooks. Hard to really overstate the difference the insulation made in my room.

[​IMG]

mds, mreeter, Steve0 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.