Gilligan's Island - Memories

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I watched every episode many times in syndication. I think everyone of a certain age did. Back when there were only the Big Three networks and then, in each market, a variety of also-ran stations (i.e. pre-cable) Gilligan's Island was a staple, along with Hogan's Heroes and a few others. I don't think I know a single person of my age who didn't watch Gilligan's Island after school.

Anyway, I loved the series back then, as a kid.

But the reunion movies were bad or horrible--even by the standards of the original show.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Well, the Skipper did call Gilligan "Little Buddy" and they bunked together.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved the first season best!

cloggedmind likes this.
  4. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

As did the “Brady Bunch” cast - their show has been one of the most successful syndicated series of all time, but they didn’t get residuals past the first 10 years or so. That’s why I always defend Suzanne Somers when her contract dispute comes up on these boards. While I don’t agree with how she handled things, she was correct in principle. She and her co-stars absolutely deserved a piece of the back-end, since it was another show that made a sh*tload of money in syndication.

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yeah, they weren’t very good, but I did like the scene in (I think) “Rescue From Gilligan’s Island” when the Howells kicked their rich friends out of their place after they had trashed Skipper and Gilligan. :righton:

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Really not intended to be a thread crap, but...it was low comedy at best, appealing to an appropriate audience at that time. And then it just continued, dumbing-down civilization, decades after its' time.

The fact that it survived in syndication as long as it had...and, right alongside the ever-so-much-more mature content of Star Trek, makes it important for me in terms of becoming able to make such value judgments of television at my young age, where I could look at it, and ask myself, "why is this still on...and why do so many people thing this is worth their time to keep watching...?" And, truth be told...I cannot for the life of me, offer even a clue. :shrug:

I'm even more amazed at how the "Who is hotter" question has lasted the test of time to eclipse its' own triviality, purely on the basis of its' widespread repetition. Even "blue dress/gold dress" has more substance as a fascinating topic.

7. When I was a child I was taken by Mary Ann as an overall very beautiful girl.
    When I was a young adult I was taken by Mary Ann as an overall very beautiful woman.
    Now that I am no longer young I am still taken by how beautiful Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was...and I am thankful for the memories and thoughts over so many years.

8. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Well I suppose the professor is the only viable candidate for the curious.

cloggedmind likes this.
  9. I was a big fan of the Wrongway Feldman episodes and any time any of my 4 kids headed off in the wrong direction when they were growing up I would say "Wrong Way Feldman" to them. Now THEY say it to my Grandkids!

10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

It's not like some of us didn't also watch Masterpiece Theater as well. I could enjoy a Gong Show or a Munsters and still be able to avidly follow I, Claudius or Cosmos.

Shawn, cloggedmind, Drifter and 2 others like this.
  11. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

My theory is that it’s two reasons: the unapologetic escapism, which a lot of people need at one time or another. And the very fine casting. There’s something appealing about this group that makes you want to spend time with them. Sherwood Schwartz hit the jackpot again with the well-cast Brady Bunch. Another example: Aaron Spelling was a master at casting - he frequently put together appealing casts with great chemistry for the brain candy that he produced.

cloggedmind, Drifter, blivet and 2 others like this.
  12. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

As a little kid I used to see re-runs in the late '70s, I think on WDCA Channel 20 in Washington, DC. Ten years later, in high school, I would watch it on SuperStation TBS.

Favorite episodes: the discovered Jet Pack, the robot they try to teach to swim, the one where they make an ark because they think the island is sinking, the Mosquitoes, Hamlet (I used to think Hamlet was a real musical). The color episodes are so much better than the black and white, to me. As a little kid I used to be afraid of the episodes where the natives/headhunters would come to the island, plus the Vampire episode and one where Gilligan (?) turns into Mr. Hyde when Ginger starts naming different foods.

I have a theory that Gilligan's real name is Maynard Gilligan Krebs. In 1963 he finally dropped out of college, shaved his beard, and became a sailor who went by his middle name.

13. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Isn't it in actuality Willie Gilligan?

15. Grand_Ennui

I haven't seen either of them since their original run, but I wouldn't mind it if the two animated series were released on DVD.

cloggedmind likes this.
  16. What? Are you kidding?
    Everyone knows the PBS shows were all BORING when we were kids...They must have just gotten better since then because I enjoy them now...Yeah, that's the ticket.

All kidding aside, I get your point. It does sometimes feel like being typecast when you are known to enjoy a lowbrow show, almost as if you are no longer welcome to watch something better because of it.
    Why does it seem odd for someone to watch and enjoy both NOVA, and The Muppet Show? The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, and The Brady Bunch?

17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm thinking maybe Jacques Cousteau guest-hosted the Muppet Show if Carl Sagan or Bob Denver didn't.
    [​IMG]

Shawn and cloggedmind like this.
  18. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Giant spiders. Headhunters. Other people coming to the island and successfully leaving. The ability to make delicious foods including pies. Clothes that stay good over years. Record players. Excellent haircuts and clean shaves maintained at all times. Makeup for the ladies and hair washed and styled professionally. These were some of the things that made the show great and provided subject matter for debate in perpetuity.

19. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

They were. Even had some extra (bumpers) features!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Maybe I read too much into these things but I was 13 years old. I am glad I am not alone. Ever notice how Billy an underaged child travelling with the “Mentor” around the US in a camper? What was that about? Oh Shazam! And what the heck is going on at Batman and what’s a “youthful ward”? Two guys in tights sliding down a pole in the opening credits. So much to ponder over.

21. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I always like the episode where they spelled out "SOS" in burning logs for the orbiting space ship to see, only to have them read "SOL" after the usual Gilligan wackiness ensued which they took for a greeting (or something like that)...

22. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Yes, one of the astronauts just happened to be named "Sol".

23. Grand_Ennui

I did not know about that... Were they two individual releases, or were both series combined into one release? Also, do you recall who released them? Thanks...

24. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

New Adventures (3 dvd) and Gilligan's Planet (2 dvd) were separate releases from Warner Archive. Initially they were both limited "pressed" retail discs, but are now relegated to MOD status, so I guess they are dvdr's at this point.

The New Adventures set has the Saturday morning bumpers from Groovy Goolies as a bonus feature.

Thinking back, both sets got delayed for some reason and really didn't get much in the way of advertising.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.