Gilligan's Island - Memories

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Honeybees one.

jpelg, vinnie and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

My older cousin lived with us when I was a small child, and he would howl in laughter at Gilligan's Island (which my mother thought was extremely silly). I had an audiocassette recorder that I could hook up to our TV, and I used to record the audio of the after-school reruns of the show (I was about 7-8 years old). The episode I remember most fondly was the one in which the ladies of the island competed in a beauty contest.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Though they all got lei’d a few years later...

[​IMG] ;)

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I like all of the episodes that have been mentioned so far-I pretty much like them all (some more than others of course)...

One that I'm not overly fond of is the one where Gilligan dreams that he's a dictator.

5. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

6. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I was born in the '60s so I was too young to remember the original network airings. I saw the reruns in the '70s. In the mid-'70s, it was the No. 1-rated syndie rerun on television, and was playing on a lot of different stations. In my area, it was on everyday at 4:30 PM so kids could watch it after school. It was hugely popular - it seems everybody was watching it and talking about it. I probably saw each episode about 10 times in the '70s before I grew a bit tired of it. Sometimes I'll still watch it when I happen by it today. Great memories!

ex_mixer, wayne66 and vinnie like this.
  7. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

This show was front & center during my young, formative years as reruns in the 70's.

I always loved "The Producer" episode, where they put on a musical version of "Hamlet".
    Dawn Wells' recent passing reminded me of MaryAnn's cockney "Eliza Doolittle" in the "And Then There Were None" episode.

ex_mixer and vinnie like this.
  8. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

What I remember most was watching this every morning in the 90s on TBS in the summer

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

As a grade-schooler in the early-to-mid '80s, it was still something every kid I knew was watching. I also remember it being on in the afternoons. I don't think we were religiously watching it and watching the same episodes over and over, but like The Brady Bunch, it was something every kid would sometimes watch and was familiar with. Except I never remember seeing black-and-white episodes. This was definitely before colorization. I just think they only played the color ones. I remember I was surprised to learn later there were black-and-white episodes made, which was probably only when clips would be shown in news reports or something like that.

I'm having trouble remembering specific episodes I saw as a kid, but the one with the giant spider stands out as a big one. And also the one where they do the musical of Shakespeare's plays. I also remember the first TV movie would sometimes air on cable channels.

It seems like it wasn't until the 2000s that it stopped being a show that was commonly watched by kids growing up.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  10. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

One of the little pieces of trivia I learned about GI was that part of the pilot episode and early intro was filmed on Nov.22, 1963. If you watch the early black-and-white intro, you can see a flag flying at half-staff in the distance.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And both shows were created, written, and supervised by Sherwood Schwartz.

I recall seeing the cast on some 90s talk show, and they all fell back into their old characters. I guess that's what happens when you get a group of people who really liked working with each other...mostly.

I have both shows on DVD, and watched every single episode. Gilligan's Island I watched in countless reruns in the 70s, and I watched The Brady Bunch as they originally aired. Every kid I knew in school watched the show at 7:00PM every Friday night. I was at the right age to really appreciate the show. Both shows.

I may remember seeing Gilligan's Island in 1967, when my older sister was a fan.

12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I watched the three TV-movies where they're posted online recently and actually liked the third one enough to watch it a second time. It had the same kind of cartoony, campy humor as the show. Martin Landau and Barbara Bain as mustache-twirlers and a team of evil robots searching for "supremium" and trying to kill our heroes. The second TV-movie was the worst, where the characters were reduced to cameos in the middle of some melodramatic Love Boat-style plot. The first one was okay, but suffered from being away from the island setting for most of it. But only that last "Harlem Globetrotters" movie felt like a live-action cartoon the way the show did. The first two movies tried to be too realistic.

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I loved the scene in "Rescue From Gilligan's Island" where the Howells kick their snooty friends out after they mock Gilligan and Skipper.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

How was Vincent Price never on GI? Guess this was the closest he ever got?

S. P. Honeybunch and JediJones like this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Burt Ward on Family Feud: :thumbsdow. Penguin (Burgess Meredith), Riddler (Frank Gorshin) or Joker (Cesar Romero) might have performed better. Jeez, Team Gilligan really cleaned team Batman's clock.

JediJones likes this.
  16. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

I think of Gilligan and the gang every time I drive over Tehachapi Pass on the way to/from the Mojave Desert. There's a derelict yacht that's been there for ages with "SS Minnow" painted on the side. A fire that burned through the area recently and it looks even worse than in this picture, but it's still there to revive the memory.

[​IMG]

Drifter and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Memories and more. Jim Backus and Natalie Schaefer incredible.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

What did you expect? They had a professor on their team

Drifter and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Holy Rolex Batman!

20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

As good as he was and as much as I enjoyed Jim Backus in Gilligan's Island, my favourite thing of his is his small role in ' It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World '.
    " I' m going to make some Old Fashioneds the way Dad used to make them ! "

21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Is this the one that has single sided DVDs? (I own all three seasons, but they're on the dual sided DVDs.)

Grant likes this.
  22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The photo of the back cover shows it's on 17 discs so yes. I was lucky enough to get it at Best Buy a few years ago for around 20 bucks.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. MasterPo

MasterPo Forum Resident

Can't have a discussion about Gilligan's Island without including this:

Grant likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NICE! I have the separate seasons...oh well.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have all three sets, and double-sided.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.