"Girl from the North Country" and Its Attribution to Bob Dylan vs. Pete Townshend's Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noyoucmon, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

In a surviving broadcast of the radio show 'Oscar Brand's World of Folk Music' from March 1963 (a month before the recording of the Freewheelin' version), Dylan introduces the song as "North Country Girl".

2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Just listened to it on youtube (Townshend). Not impressed. Seems a perverse musical arrangement for a tender song. I love Eddie Vedder's version

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Pete at Woodstock '98

"Roy Harper did a version of North Country Girl, based on a version that was done by Bob Dylan. And I do a version based on the version by Roy Harper"

Floater, theMess and noyoucmon like this.
  4. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very cool--thank you for sharing.

theMess and Front 242 Addict like this.
  5. noyoucmon

He reworks it in a quite original style!

6. noyoucmon

Wow, I didn't even know there was a remastered CD this new. I need to pick it up; Chinese Eyes is one of my favorite albums.

7. noyoucmon

It matches the arrangements on the rest of his album and, in that context, fits quite well.

8. noyoucmon

Interesting. Further and further from the source...the very way that songs become "traditionals." Thanks for sharing!

Floater likes this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

You should post this in the "Spirit sues Led Zep" thread.
    Then again, It'd probably be considered a threadcrap.

noyoucmon likes this.
  10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

11. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Stephen Stills does a very nice version that he credits to Bob Dylan.

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Yes. "All songs by Roy, except North Country (traditional) arranged by Roy."

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1493354

Since Townshend based his version on Harper's, is it possible the "traditional" credit was just copied from Harper's album?

bcliff33 likes this.
  13. noyoucmon

Excellent, thanks for sharing. Very possibly so. So now my original question can be applied to the Harper record. This may turn out to be an anti-climactic story; but, I'm glad to know this bit about Harper in relation to Townshend's version.

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Nice version! And as for sound fidelity, it's better quality than, say, a guy doing a version from a "Record Your Own Voice for 35 Cents" booth :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

Interesting tidbits on the song's origins from Wikipedia -- it's "traditional" at least in some regards:

"Martin Carthy, another guy named [Bob] Davenport. Martin Carthy's incredible. I learned a lot of stuff from Martin." Carthy exposed Dylan to a repertoire of traditional English ballads, including Carthy's own arrangement of "Scarborough Fair," which Dylan drew upon for aspects of the melody and lyrics of "Girl from the North Country," including the line from the refrain "Remember me to one who lives there, she once was a true love of mine". Musically, this song is nearly identical to his composition "Boots of Spanish Leather",[1] composed and recorded one year later for the album The Times They Are a-Changin'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_from_the_north_country

Lost In The Flood and theMess like this.
  16. noyoucmon

Yes, I mention the Carthy version of "Scarborough Fair" in my original post as the inspiration for Dylan's song.

theMess likes this.
  17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Ha ha! Thank you :)

18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I was just listening to Pete's "North Country Girl"--love it!

The ending is a little dopey, but aside from that, it's a terrific song. And, for what it's worth, Chinese Eyes is my favorite Townshend solo album. Just noticed, too, that "Stardom in Acton" is incorrectly titled "Stardom in Action" on the reissued CD--even the lyric booklet gets the title wrong!

noyoucmon likes this.
  19. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

Rod Stewart version from "Smiler" (1974) is my favourite.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  20. noyoucmon

21. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

writing/publishing aside - This is a great version of the song - it sure must be a favorite of his, he revisits it frequently

theMess and Front 242 Addict like this.
  22. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

My favorite Girl from the North Country version.

Johnny cash with Bob Dylan

So beautiful and sad. Both artists create stunning combination.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Gasman1003 likes this.
  23. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Thing is, it's NOT a traditional song...it wouldn't exist as "Girl From The North Country" had Dylan not written those lyrics, so Townsend wouldn't have been able to record it as such, regardless of the prior existence of the melody.

Nobody was singing "Girl From The North Country" before Bob Dylan, so it didn't exist as part of any "tradition".

Calling it "traditional" is not correct.

24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Roy Harper's Valentine album does not credit Dylan on the Harper version of this song. It is listed traditional I believe. It is called North Country.

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

For a sublime take on this wonderous song... see the Sam Bush and Jerry Douglas version.

Dylan and Cash remains my favourite... but this come close. A couple sublime solos by Jerry D.

Interesting that until this thread I hadn't closely connected the song to Scarborough Fair....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.