Glass (January 18, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Flashback scenes for Al Pacino?
    What era will Al Pacino's CGI image be...
    Bobby Deerfield, Godfather, Scarface ..?

2. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

James McAvoy alone makes me excited to see this movie.. :)

3. alexpop

The new wolverine. :laugh:

4. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

No, but it's worth seeing as its own entertainment.

5. alexpop

Think it's imperative to see Split first.

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Reviews are rolling in, Glass is getting shattered.....

GodShifter likes this.
  7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Unbreakable was a great film, and despite what's looking like poor reviews, I'll go see Glass in the theater just to see where Bruce Willis's character has gotten.

John K.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“The Irishman”? Er, hmmm.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

alexpop likes this.
  10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

One of my most anticipated movies and we are just a week away. Have it reserved on AMC A-List.
    Now it may end up disappointing but I still think Unbreakable was one of the best films I ever saw.

11. alexpop

12. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm not sure but from the trailer I think I would miss some impact of character if I didn't see it. I loved Unbreakable. Thought it was the most original and personal take on a superhero while still being suspenseful. I'm watching Split tonight so I can be ready to see Glass.

jpelg likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Scorsese is a very demanding man -- I would assume it'll look great, since they have an enormous budget.

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

As good as Robert Downey Jr/Iron Man? Now that would be a s t o u n d i n g.

15. WagesofFear

WagesofFear Member

Absolutely yes.

Night creates a very complicated character in Split and he’s featured in glass so you better see it.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's some visual spoilers here, but here's a very interesting behind-the-scenes "B-roll" from YouTube on Glass:

enro99 likes this.
  17. Beings new meaning to the fountain of youth!

When they use the younger versions, I find it more distracting than casting other actors who could believably be portraying the actors at a younger age.

SandAndGlass and Ghostworld like this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Current Tomato rating: 34% - 112 Reviews counted to date.

Most reviews note a strong start and a very questionable to terrible final act.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Did you check out Ant-Man? I don't care for the superhero stuff in any way but watched the first scene as a curiosity and it was not distracting in the least. Just looked like Michael Douglas was a few decades younger. I was actually surprised at how natural it looked.

20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just saw mentioned on TV that unused scenes from "Unbreakable" were incorporated into "Glass".
    That's an interesting idea, I'm glad the director had access to those old outtakes and hope he was able to use them in a way that works within the context of this new film.

Vidiot and Ghostworld like this.
  21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The UNBREAKABLE DVD contained some of the most polished deleted scenes I'd ever seen. The director must have dumped them at 11:59.

I suspect they'll recycle the one of young Glass on the carnival ride, an excruciating scene that was dropped because the transition to and from a bright outdoors scene was considered too visually jarring.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    enro99 and Ghostworld like this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I guess they shouldn’t have let the critics see this one before it opened. Too bad. Had hopes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Perhaps someone knows better than I, but I think M. Night is pretty frugal budget-wise and his films almost always make money, even though modest, so why would they not back a profitable director?

As for passing on it, I paid to see Aquaman in the theater, a movie I consider about 45 minutes of good wrapped in 1:45 of bad, and I think the ratio for Glass could be about the same, if not better.

John K

Ghostworld and GodShifter like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There is always that problem. I think audiences can take this stuff in small doses -- the scene where Brad Pitt was 18 in Benjamin Button were brief and in shadow, and Robert Downey Jr. was only 16 for about a minute and a half in Captain America: Civil War. For them to pull off that illusion with three different actors for an hour or more... that's gonna be tough.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Yes. It it wasn’t for the entire movie or half of the movie. I think it can be carried off in small doses.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.