Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (No spoilers, please!)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

After one viewing, I feel Rian Johnson’s film is one of the best of the last several years, and along with the first film, one of the best murder-mysteries of all-time. Your SPOILER-FREE thoughts (for now)?

2. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

The film gets even better with each watch. Sadly, only one week in theaters. Netflix on December 23.

3. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

I thought it was a clever, witty and intriguing film until the point at which (no spoilers I hope) Benoit Blanc has to explain everything. There are some neat twists and it’s more overtly an homage to Agatha Christie than Knives Out but the final act didn’t work. It felt like, Netflix is paying so let’s go over the top. It is however good to see a proper mystery on the big screen.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Let me be the first to ask:
    Is the song in the film??

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Knives Out wasn't in Knives Out.

MLutthans and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

that's true

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Saw it today. Diverting way to spend a couple of hours and pretty funny. However, the characters are one dimensional and I'll agree that it falls apart completely in the final act. Decent but far from essential.

MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I loved this film. It belongs in a theater, with a big screen to show off how beautiful it is.

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Vickie and I saw it this evening, and really enjoyed it. She is quite annoyed at Netflix only allowing it to be in theaters for a single week.

It's just stupid to leave that much money on the table. All it's going to do on Netflix is get some people to subscribe and keep some other people from dropping their subscription.

Granted, it's their money, and they can say how the film is shown. But we don't have a whole lot of patience with streaming services being able to compete for Oscars. We feel that should be limited to films that play in theaters.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

One amusing little bit was Benoit Blanc's dislike of a particularly popular game.

13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this on Netflix next month.

I enjoy watching movies in the comfort of my home and I don't miss going to theaters, which I have only done a handful of times "post-pandemic" (?)...

14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

We had high hopes for it, but were kind of let down by it. We though Murder on the Orient Express was much better.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's a Netflix film, the whole purpose of their deal with Rian is to get subscribers. Just think of it like that.

The only reason at all it's been shown in cinemas I guess is the Oscar requirement that you have to run a film for a week in a certain number of locations. They are looking at some Oscar nominations.

16. Chris DeVoe

I didn't say that it wasn't legal, just that it was stupid.

They bought a franchise that did quite well in the theater originally, and played for months. There's no good reason why Netflix couldn't make their money back, and have the film do the exact same thing - attract subscribers with an exclusive - if they did so after a normal period in the theaters.

brownie61 likes this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I saw Knives Out in the cinema, but I’m happy to wait for this one to come to Netflix. It will make some nice Xmas viewing.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But that defeats the whole purpose of a streaming platform.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

How? We're not debating whether or not it eventually winds up on Netflix, only how quickly it does so. To almost the entirety of its existence, Netflix has been showing movies that have had long runs in the theater.

brownie61 likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think you are missing the point completely but we'll leave it there I think.

21. parman

parman Music Junkie

The wife and I saw it today. I thought it was good but not great ( I love who dune it movies). We had to drive about 30 miles to get to a theater showing it but we also did some shopping and lunch. $7 each for a matinee but with the deluxe seats. There were more people there than we expected!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Loved Knifes Out.
    Complete opposite with Glass Onion.

hanleyp and bpmd1962 like this.
  23. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Yes, in the end credits. Another White Album track also makes a surprise appearance (won't mention which one or what context).

TheAbsentMind, vince and parman like this.
  24. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

A few of us in the audience hung around for the credits and I was struck by how flat Glass Onion sounds on a big, powerful sound system. There are several classic tunes on the soundtrack that sound great and then weirdly the title song is a bit of a letdown.

25. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The Bee Gees song sounded amazing in the theater. Glass Onion has always sounded flat like that to me.