Glass platter option on Rega P1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ben_wood, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space Thread Starter

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Rega P1 turntable. Is the glass platter upgrade a worthwhile/cost-effective option?

2. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I would think if you listen to/own a lot of lps, your system is very revealing, and the platter was your weakest link, then yes it's worthwhile replace it with the glass platter. Otherwise use the MDF for now, use the extra $60 on record care accesories (wet, dry brushes. inner sleeves, anti static gun, ect)

- Sushimaster

3. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

It will bring out more detail, so considering your system, I would not opt for the glass platter.

4. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space Thread Starter

My bad, I should have mentioned that this will be a second system consisting of:

1) Rega P1 turntable

2) NAD C372 integrated amp

3) Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2 cd player

4) Magneplanar MMG's

5) SVS SB-12 Plus sub

5. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Yes definately get the glass platter. Perhaps also upgrade the factory stylus.
    The NAD amps are suppose to sound clean and nuetral. And the maggies are very revealing so I read. Definatley let us know when you get the glass platter, how much of a difference it makes from the MDF. I think you should be able to hear better soundstage with the glass platter due to the reduced wow/flutter.

- Sushimaster

6. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

For me, I upgraded to the glass platter and I could hear a difference in the P1 immediately (especially in the table running more stable in terms of pitch)...I feel apart from a cart replacement (or an OM stylus upgrade), this is a great improvement that gets this TT closer to a P2/P3-24. Improved clarity and depth all from a piece of glass - I love my TT!

7. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

HOWEVER, if you do not have a cleaning system (like Disc Doctor hand cleaning OR a machine) I would do that first, upgrade the stylus and THEN do the platter! Gene Rubin (do a search on ebay) will have one for you!

8. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

For a few more bucks you can get an acrylic platter.

9. RonInCRIA

RonInCRIA New Member

Glass, being resonant, isn't that great a platter. You want heavy and non-resonant.

All materials have resonance: the trick to turntable design is to put them above or below the audio band. While low mass can work in theory, so can Bose. :shake:

Acrylic can do a good job, so can other materials.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Naw, glass isn't bad, but I agree acrylic is better.

11. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Have a spare

I happen to have a spare Rega glass platter. It has a minor chip/crack on one edge from shipping. It is still usable, and after filling in the edge with black magic marker it is just about imperceptible. Anyway let me know if you want it.

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I agree with the assessment that it'll help but that there are other things to do first should they not have already been addressed. First, I would replace the cartridge with a better unit. You can simply get a better grade of stylus for that model but you are still limited by the cartridge itself. Then get a nice phonostage, you'll need one anyway with that integrated amp. I suppose that you have some record cleaning stuff but if not, you at least need a Discwasher. Then get the glass platter.
    -Bill

13. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.