Glastonbury 2022

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrCJF, Mar 4, 2022.

1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I can't speak for anyone else, I'm not as familiar with DR's material as I am "Wacky Maccas Thumbs Aloft"s - and to me, I felt that DR's performance was further off base than McCartney's. The mix seemed thin and the vocals low for Diana Ross, to the point where even my partner asked me if Diana Ross was alright (as if I would know?). Macca's vocals were adequate, but not exceptional, but nearer where I thought the songs belonged. Ross did the standard thing of having a huge band with 32,497 backing vocalists and also having her lead vocal seem to be less precise than Macca's. Her voice has aged differently than his - but McCartney never consistently stayed in the higher ranges whereas Ross did. Maybe because McCartney's vocals were in the range that would never show the signs of aging quite as obviously as Ross' wider range and more histrionic vocal style.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Cat People and janmaccazwan like this.
  2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

“Chris Lowe? I thought it was going to be Nick Lowe!”

[​IMG]

Hammerhead likes this.
  3. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Binged Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds, Wet Leg, Wolf Alice and now settling into Sir Paul’s set. Sounds pretty good to me, considering his advanced age. The excitement in the crowd is palpable… it reminds me of the only time I saw him, at Outside Lands in 2013. Much like this crowd, I was grinning ear-to-ear for nearly 3 hours.

4. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

I think so too, very fresh and powerful, Some describe them as Punk, it doesn't do justice to what they do. it's more then that.

It's Felix and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Somebody needed to invade the stage that night.
    Could you believe what you were watching, Jackson as the messiah?
    It has gone down in history as probably the greatest most awful TV performance ever.
    All hail Jarvis Cocker...

tin ears, keef285, sonnyrock and 13 others like this.
  6. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

who are you ranting about? The Chemical Brothers or Per Shop Boys?

It's Felix likes this.
  7. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

What a great line up Glasto had this year.
    I still have a ton of performances I need to catch up with on iplayer, but these were my favourites so far. Sam Fender smashed it.
    1. Sam Fender
    2. Pet Shop Boys
    3. Idles
    4. Paul McCartney
    5. Crowded House
    6. Noel Gallagher
    7. Diana Ross
    8. Sleaford Mods
    9. Jack White
    10. Jarv IsSam

joy stinson and Timos like this.
  8. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

At football in packed standing crowds you peed in the pocket of the person in front of you.

9. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

The most impressive feat of the festival was, for me, Kendrick Lamar remembering and delivering all those lyrics without missing a beat. Quite incredible really.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I can understand the comparison in a way but Paul handled the vocals well on the whole. I also think that what makes his show great (apart from the unbeatable repertoire) is the fact that it is the actual band (guitars/bass/keyboards) that provides all the backing vocals/harmonies. They are the real deal.

joy stinson, moj, lemontrees and 5 others like this.
  11. Suggy Bop Bop

Suggy Bop Bop Your advert could be here.

Watched Diana Ross last night.

I'll give her the same vocal credit as I did for Paul McC indepth earlier in the thread, with added credit because she was evidently having technical issues.

Weather was a bit cooler yesterday with a stronger breeze, so the sound was likely drifting as well. (Not that many on here seem to understand the challenges of a live performance outdoors in a wideopen rolling English countryside).

Great setlist, she was in good spirits and quite fun, it was in fact a perfect and traditional Glasto afternoon-singalong performance, to gee up a by now very tired audience.

Anyone picking faults in that set truly is a miserable so and so.

p.s. the dancing security was brilliant, and she seemed surprised and amused by that.

12. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

Glastonbury is like a supermarket - something for everyone.
    The acts I enjoyed most, in no particular order, were:
    Kendrick Lamar
    Little Simz
    Paul McCartney
    Billie Eilish

Others that I enjoyed:
    Declan McKenna
    Fontaines DC
    Angelique Kidjo
    Squid

joy stinson, Lars Medley, moj and 3 others like this.
  13. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

5 days on site , live music Friday - Sunday

PossiblyIndecisive likes this.
  14. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I’m a fan of Diana Ross’s music - that’s why I watched it - but honestly? “Anyone picking faults in that set is a miserable so and so?” I’d have to counter that anyone who couldn’t pick a fault with that set must be tone deaf.

My ears were hurting. Seriously.

MonkeyTennis, Mezzer, JohnJ and 5 others like this.
  15. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Only watched a few minutes of the DR set. Great songs, but during the bit I was watching she was pretty flat. She also seemed to be reaching for possibly the controls of her in ear monitors, so maybe there were problems there.

Edit: I’m still working through the BBC iPlayer material, but Supergrass were on top form.

tin ears and lavalamp3 like this.
  16. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

She did appear to be having a few sound issues, but really, just sort it out quickly and crack on? There’s 200,000 people watching you!
    If you’re a musician who sings, it’s far more of a problem because you can only adjust your In-ear monitors in-between the songs.

17. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Yeah, I would say he is more famous for that incident than anything else. At the time, it made headline news and Cocker tried to dress it up as some sort of crusade but it was just good old common attention seeking.

Bink likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I thought they were the best of the 'Brit Pop' bands but then I'm not a great fan of 'Brit Pop'.

19. wontfunk

wontfunk Forum Resident

Kendrick Lamar was just phenomenal - man's operating at a level few artists ever reach.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The McCartney show was just much better and his voice is mostly dialed in with fans these days. I think he manages his limitations better than Ross but it's a lot easier with a great backing band that are also vocalists. When I praised this show it was as a whole. For much of the time he managed to sing fairly well though some of the notes are difficult for him. At least he seems no worse than a few years ago when the deterioration became really noticeable. Remember Macca is not just a singer, which is Ross's only skill set. Perhaps we can have Dylan next year? :) Would break the age record yet again at least.

joy stinson and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  21. Beechlander

Beechlander Forum Resident

Managed to catch a few acts over the weekend - the interactive channel on iPlayer was brilliant, just music and no annoying presenters building hype/inane chatter. Highlights for me were JAMC, Krauss/Plant and Jack White but the best performance was Paul McCartney on Saturday - absolutely magnificent. Good spread of songs but particularly enjoyed the Wings stuff he threw in (Junior's Farm indeed). Who cares if he is 80 or 18 it was brilliant.

22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Someone else who can't sing? :hide:

23. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

Yes, but Dylan = god. So even if he whispers it is good enough

24. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

I think she couldn't hear herself often - which is a cardinal sin for the sound people at a big show like this - it will be noisy there anyway, it's a massive audience in a big field - she will have in ear monitors and foldback speakers to hear herself through the noise and the band - she is nearing 80 so her standard of hearing will be diminished also = so I suspect she really couldn't hear where her vocal was resting with what the band were playing or she had 'too much band' or too little band in her in ear monitors - it was such as shame as was looking forward to seeing her do what I felt Paul Mc did, which was the best he could now, but she was flat, off key and I suspect as a consumate experienced professional it wasn't her skills, but that she was let down technically on the sound.

25. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I saw Pulp on the Different Class tour (definitely their commercial peak) and they were an excellent live act and Jarvis Cocker could sing live very well. Ditto their later appearance as headliners at the Leeds / Reading festivals a few years after. Haven’t seen the Glastonbury set yet, but I think those suggesting that Cocker’s fame was purely down to the Michael Jackson incident are being a little harsh. Pulp and Jarvis Cocker were pretty high profile in the UK prior to that episode. His voice may be completely gone now, but I’ll watch the set later.