'Glee' actress Naya Rivera- R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

The articles are saying that she’s presumed dead, and that it was a drowning. :shake::cry:

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

4. MikaelaArsenault

I'm glad that her son was able to be rescued.

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What is your deal? The SH Forums Harbinger Of Death?

7. Steve Hoffman

I'm sorry, that was rude of me.

I'm upset by this, that's all. That poor kid is going to grow up without a mom. In case anyone cares, Naya was a wonderful mom, a nice person and what the hell was she thinking going on Lake Piru ? That's a terrible place. Haunted. Basically the backwater of the Santa Felicia Dam pouring into land that was used for farming, etc.

She went swimming, just left her little boy? Left her life jacket on the boat?? No. She was devoted to him. I hope she didn't just drown herself. This entire thing is really tragic.

Lake Piru is a spooky place. I HATE it there. Had a friend who loved to go there, rent those same little boats and spend a day floating around with us. Since the thing isn't a natural lake sometimes we'd see the tops of trees sticking out of the water. It was just ****ing creepy.

People drown there. A lot.

Drownings
    In August 1994, 27-year-old Jesus Danilo Carranza from North Hollywood drowned while on an outing with his family despite wearing a life jacket.[12]

In July 1997, Liborio Dominguez from Long Beach drowned while trying to rescue his daughter. The young girl was saved, but Dominguez's body was not discovered until several days later.[12]

In September 1997, 22-year-old Isidro Castillo from Newhall encountered problems while swimming and called for his girlfriend to throw him a buoy. The woman was unable to get the flotation device to him. His body was found a day later.[12]

In September 1997, rescue workers recovered the body of 30-year-old Port Hueneme resident Ulises Anthony Mendoza, who was last seen struggling days earlier while swimming with family members near their boat.[12]

In 1997, park officials speculated that wind gusts and deep columns of chilly water on the lake, which is up to 160 ft deep depending on the time of year, can overtake swimmers quickly.[12]

In February 1998, the body of Lake Piru employee Arthur Raymond Caladara was found drowned near the dock.[12]

In June 1998, the body of 30-year-old Vy Xuan Dang from Garden Grove, who disappeared while swimming with his family during the Memorial Day weekend, was found by a park ranger.

In September 2000, 25-year-old Van Nuys resident Edie Cruz, swam the short distance to his stalled radio-controlled model boat, and drowned only 10 feet from shore. Douglas West, Lake Piru's parks and recreation services manager, said there had been about a dozen drownings during his 23 years at the lake. Most victims are inexperienced swimmers who are not wearing life jackets and who overestimate their own abilities or swim in prohibited areas.[12]

Naftoli Smolyanksy died in a boating accident in August 2008. Smolyansky had taken his 9-year-old son and 5 and 7-year-old daughters out on the lake Monday afternoon when his youngest daughter fell off the boat. He jumped into the water to save her, and managed to get her back on the boat as it drifted away. Smolyanksy was unable to swim to the boat and did not resurface.[13]

On July 8, 2020, actress Naya Rivera disappeared while swimming with her son. A search of the lake began that day, resuming on July 9th after being temporarily called off due to nightfall. As of July 9, the Ventura County Sherrif’s Department confirmed that the search has been shifted from an active search to a recovery mission and Rivera is presumed dead.[14][15][16][17]

So sorry for her boy. Why she didn't take a grown up friend with them, I'll never know or understand..

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I understand where you were coming from on this, but I'm glad you aplogized, that was a good thing to do.

I pray for Ms Rivera's loved ones :(

9. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

If true, this will be the third 'Glee-related' death in seven years.

Cory Monteith (May 11, 1982 – July 13, 2013) drug overdose

Mark Salling (August 17, 1982 – January 30, 2018) suicide

Very sad news.

Vidiot and groundharp like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Terribly sad to hear this news...and yes hope and pray Naya turns up safe...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

How terrible. Geez, from reading about the history of the deaths there I would steer clear of that lake. What a tragedy.

12. Steve Hoffman

I have nightmares about that place. An unnatural body of water filling a canyon. Just not a good place.. Sorry to be so Stephen King about it..

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I come from an area of the country with one heck of a strip-mine-lake legacy. Some of those things go down so far you won't notice the very tip of the crane until you come upon it. Summers in rural Indiana were always a blessing and a curse.

Hoping for the best for her.

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  14. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

15. peskypesky

Seems like they need to make vests mandatory there.

16. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Piru is kind of an odd place. RT 126 is beautiful old Orange groves. The drive to Lake Piru is nice. But its an odd place....way out from Los Angeles

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have always been a strong swimmer. These days I would be loath to test it. That said unless it was an actual ship, if I am on the water I am wearing a vest.
    She went swimming(?) in deep water without a vest. I cannot imagine that sort of thing is encouraged. I hate what I am thinking.

18. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Breaking Away is one of my favorite films.

A limestone quarry swimming hole was featured prominently in that movie.

Steve Litos and Thwacko like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't I know it. Filmed probably 30 miles from my house.

20. peskypesky

Yes, I do hate to think it, but suicide is a possibility. The circumstances are very odd.

To go out on a boat with a 4-year old, then to jump off the boat, without a vest, and leave the 4-year-old alone?? She can't have been in her right mind.

GodShifter and Comet01 like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

I'm sorry too.

Comet01 and alexpop like this.
  22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Sad story - unknown how son ended up asleep in the boat - it seems to be a reservoir

23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Terrible whatever the outcome. It doesn't sound hopeful though. Poor lady and her kid.

24. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Not to change the subject but like Steve said, some lakes are really creepy. I've seen many in my life in various states and even swam in them as a kid but I do not feel comfortable at all since I have an anxiety disorder that makes me phobic of them. Plus they are so damned filthy now.

25. MikaelaArsenault

It doesn’t look good.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.