Glenn Tipton/ Judas Priest diagnosed with Parkinson's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grohlfan, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Man, what a bummer. Life's just not fair like that sometimes. I hope he's in good hands.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Technically they're too late, since Dave Holland is already dead, and he was on the ballot.

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Very sad.

As much as I love and respect Rob Halford, it would be a shame if there is a long-term tour under the name of Judas Priest without either Tipton or Downing on board.

Hermes, BDC, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I’m speculating, but I think this will probably be the last go round for Priest. It’s cool that Richie came in and took them a few years further but without at least Tipton I can’t see them go beyond this tour anymore. I’m still gonna go because I got free tix but this will most likely be the last time I see them. At least it’s a really good triple bill. I’m sure Halford will probably continue with his solo band after this.

Rock hall of fame needs to get off their ass and induct them while they’re still here.

5. Going back to when KK resigned...all was not well in the camp.
    A lot of this stemmed around Rob being potentially sued my his ex manager John Baxter.
    I know someone who had a lot of dealing with Baxter and he has told me that Rob did not come out of it in a good light.
    Money!!!!! Managers!!!! Ego's.....

Ritchie Faulkner has done a sterling job for Priest...I actually think his influence on Redeemer Of Souls was a lot higher than we were led to believe.
    He looks great onstage etc....but I don't care what others say, the band is not the same without KK.
    The chemistry of Halford, Tipton and Downing cannot be over emphasized.
    Judas Priest legacy is safe...they are up there with the very best (for me late 70's early 80's, the absolute best bar non).
    I won't be going to see them again....they are done now.
    Hopefully Firepower will be a worthy swansong.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I wish I had been wrong about this one. :(

7. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Damn it, there goes any hope of my wish for a "Screaming For Vengeance" album tour! JP was my 1st ever concert in 1984, and they rocked my soul (they were my favorite band in the early '80's)! I have seen them in concert 4 times, 1984, 1986, 2005, 2009 (British Steel 30th Ann Tour). I loved the KK and Glenn duo and when KK left I decided not to see their last tour. Now it really is over and it SUCKS!:mudscrying:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  8. more non rockers have to be inducted first

Matthew Tate, M321115 and Madness like this.
  9. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Sad but still a noble way to step back and enjoy hopefully many more good years in his life. Tipton is definitely a top drawer guitar player... But his keyboard skills should come to light as well. In their early days, Priest did a number of memorable ballads and other songs with emphasis on keyboards.

10. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Man this sucks. Glenn has been the pillar of Priest since its inception and it's so unfortunate to hear of this news. My father-in-law is stricken with this horrible disease and while he's been manageable still, he's about 10 years in and its been a slow decline. I wish Glenn the best of health and hope that he can maintain himself steadily as this is something that is incurable.

11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Sad news for sure.

[​IMG]

davers, dlokazip, M321115 and 7 others like this.
  12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

At some point, mortality will smack us all in the face. I think it’s as hard to see it happen to those around us as to suffer the fate in person. No fair? No, it is fair. It’s happened to everyone who’s ever lived at some point. It’s just so hard to watch it happen. Yeah, it sucks.

13. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Glenn wrote some of the heaviest, tastiest, crunchy licks in music - Sinner, Tyrant, The Ripper, Hell Bent For Leather :edthumbs:
    Sigh, Freewheel Burning just won't be the same.........

14. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I'm sorry but this upcoming tour is not Judas Priest the band, only in name..
    No disrespect to Rob & Ian

15. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

16. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I said this morning that I wonder if the idea of getting KK back was floated. Have KK play his own stuff and get Ritchie to play Glenn's stuff. After half a day of thinking about this I feel like this is the only circumstance under which this tour should go ahead.

I'm caught between wondering if Glenn failed a medical (for tour insurance purposes) and that made this decision or the more mercenary idea that they knew this would happen but waited for tickets to be on sale. I get that it's a business but this a band that has always preached about the importance of the fans. Personally, I don't think I'd want to see them without Glenn.

I hated KK leaving but Ritchie has played above and beyond as well as fitting in visually and seeming like a great dude. But how many times can you go to the well? With respect to bass and drums, this is now two of the main three that are missing. I don't know Andy Sneap from Andy Capp but I know I don't want him in Judas Priest.

I'm still super excited about the album, but beyond that....

17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I'm struck wondering how much Glenn was actually able to contribute to Firepower. After all, the guy being named to take his place was co-producer of the LP.

And yeah, it would suck if JP knew that Glenn probably wouldn't be able to play on this tour (he didn't look good during the last go around), but decided to go ahead with it anyway.

In either case, I'll be sitting this one out. It was tough enough seeing 'em without KK, but with both those guys gone? It just ain't Priest now - no disrespect to Halford.

18. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Judas Priest without KK was a stretch. Judas Priest without KK and Glenn, well, just no. I don't know the inner workings behind the scenes, but I hope Glenn made this decision at the final moments, thinking that the band knew and sold tickets before the announcement would be kind of ****ty. I hope that isn't the case. I'm sure there are many reasons this tour might go ahead, most being buisness reasons, but to me it is not the ending I had hoped for this band. It might be a curiousity, but one I'm not into paying to see. The only good thing I see coming from this is, I might see another great Halford album after all.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sorry to hear, but every life ends sometime.....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Sad news, I would have hoped to see Tipton lead the way for the band whenever it all will end then someday.
    I hope the best health and many good years for him and it must be really difficult to not go on tour anymore.

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I think the idea of getting KK back would be interesting choice really. Richie could easily take the Glenn's stuff and etc.
    I think they should have given this a serious thought and anyways JP doesn't necessarily have too many tours left to do.

22. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Such terrible timing... I was so ready to see Priest for the first time in April :(

23. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Hey Priest, sorry about your band leader and all but I've bought some of your albums so it's my place to tell you to quit your jobs now 'cause I don't approve anymore. Go ahead and tell all those people you employ to go home too. I know it's your life's work and you love it and you probably have bills to pay but whatever, it's all about my perception of your legacy man. I just thought now was the appropriate time to say all that.

Am I doing it right guys? :rolleyes:

dlokazip, M321115, yarbles and 7 others like this.
  24. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Touring replacement is going to be announced soon...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It was already announced that it is Andy Sneap

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.