Glenn Tipton/ Judas Priest diagnosed with Parkinson's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grohlfan, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Judas Priest has been one of my favorite bands since I was a teenager. Tipton's situation is heartbreaking. However, I feel that the band is doing the right thing by going ahead with the tour. The dates were probably booked before it became apparent that Glenn's illness was at a stage where touring was no longer possible. If the tour was cancelled, the Priest organization would owe the promoters a lot money.

Matthew Tate and Runicen like this.
  2. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Terrible news. The Tipton/Downing tandem is one of the defining guitar teams in metal.

Now it's gonna be... Faulkner/Sneap? Doesn't have the right ring to it :(

3. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Have to hope that it's going to be a farewell tour, or that they become the Ian Hill Band.........

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I hope that when they are inducted, Les Binks gets in.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

He was on the ballot as well. The drummers on the ballot were Binks, Holland, and Scott Travis (I am assuming that was for Painkiller)

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't know we know who the members are before they get the nod to get inducted. Seems like most bands are surprised who gets on the ballot and who doesn't.

Travis has been the drummer for 28 years now so he should be on the ballot! Surprised Binks was on due to him being in the band for just a couple of years even though I liked his drumming better than Holland's.

Matthew Tate and squittolo like this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Considering that some of the band's most significant albums are with Binks, he should be there.

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He’s only on two though, right? Stained Class and Killing Machine?

Obviously on Unleashed in the East also but I’m counting studio only.

9. Zoot Marimba

Those are the three he's on, yes.
    Besides, Unleashed is studio from a certain POV

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Absolutely appropriate post.

Of course you’re right that the band can and should continue if they wish, but I think fans have the right to express their opinion on how valid Priest is to them without Downing or Tipton. Now, is it the right time to be doing it in light of Glenn’s news? Perhaps not, but when is the right time?

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

True, but no new material is presented on it.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I think it's a bigger surprise that Holland was included, given his... proclivities.

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not Character Hall of Fame. If it was, then it would be empty.

14. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

True, but I think Holland's crimes were several steps beyond typical rock star misbehavior. Like, if his name was missing from the ballot, I would have thought, "All things being equal, that's probably not right, but all things aren't equal in this case, so I get it."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Also true, but he served his time. Doesn't really matter now since he is dead.

Matthew Tate and M321115 like this.
  16. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Never thought Vinnie Vincent would be one to lecture other people on the value of their morals, but there you have it :D

From a certain (and IMO distorted) point of view, you are absolutely right. On the other hand, it is also completely wrong. If the two guys that created most of the legacy are gone, why should other people be able to exploit it for money?

I have no problem with your opinion. I just think that you in your effort to come off all high and mighty, fail pretty badly. Close to 100% of the people both in this thread (and every other place I've read about this) have expressed that even if enough was enough for them personally, they feel that the band have no obligations to do anything other than what they feel like.

Your sarcasm is pretty funny, but it also more than a little misplaced and sorta rude. No more dogs for you, Vin :biglaugh:

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

18. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Your commentary on the individual in my avatar has nothing to do with this subject as I wasn't casting judgement upon the moral superiority of one artist over another.

What is "rude" is fans who, on the day a tragic situation is announced, think it's appropriate to tell people to give up their life's work because it doesn't appeal to them anymore. It's selfish, insensitive and insulting.

I've said what I have to say on the subject and I stand by it. I didn't even need to make fun of any artists whose work you love to do it.

Fans have a right to vote with their wallets. They don't have a right to be jerks.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wishing him well...such a terrible disease.

Matthew Tate, The Hud and PyroMessiah like this.
  20. Django

Django Forum Resident

Sad news. Not a JP fan, but Glenn is great guitarist & he seems like an all round good guy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Probably my favorite metal player ever..
    The prognosis for us all in the end is the same.
    I wish him comfort and peace.
    I don't think there's much for him to chase in the world of metal.

22. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

There have been some sickeningly solipsistic posts here.

You know what you are. You are not Priest fans.

PyroMessiah likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ve been a Judas Priest fan since 1980. I own all their records and have seen them live. You don’t question my fandom ok?

M321115 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

lolwut, get over yourself.

My comment wasn't aimed at you, but if you had made what I considered to be inappropriate comments in this thread at this time, you betcha I'd have questioned you. Ok?

25. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

This is the problem with rock/hard rock & metal music in general which ultimately led to its slow demise in mainstream music scene. Nothing in any bands legacy is sacred anymore as most members are replaceable and interchangeable. Perhaps, this can be discussed in new thread but Judas Priest is just following suit with countless other bands.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.