Global Shortage of Magnetic Tape Leaves Cassette Fans Reeling

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

That's up to You. The way I see it DIGITAL is always "downside".

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Oh hell no. It was a decent Sony dual deck of some type...whatever my dad had. (Back when Sony actually made decent stuff) It sounded fine for the time, and obviously all our crappy cars in the mid-90's still had cassette decks. (for a while I had a baller system with CD and cassette :laugh:)

But...i guess I just don't get the nostalgia. I feel like a (pre-brickwall era) CD dubbed to a high-quality blank tape would still sound better than what I could've bought at Sam Goody in 1991. Of course it's fun to find stuff at garage sales or thrift shops, but the idea of paying more than, like $1 for a 30-year old mass-produced cassette kind of blows my mind.

3. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Lost too many cassettes getting mangled in my deck to be nostalgic about this!

4. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I had a top line Technics deck back in the 80s. Even my cheapo Philips CD player (a plastic box which cost me 10% of the tape deck's price) or my mp3 Player outperform it if I am honest to myself.

5. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Whoa this is awesome news; I have tons of factory sealed TDK and Maxell C-90 cassettes on hand that I've never been able to just throw away!! Time for a visit to eBay to unload them.

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Send them to me free of charge.

And rest assured you've done your good deed for the day.

Please go to DRMwillletyouhelpbygivinghimfreeanalogcassettes.org for shipping information.

7. kz1000

kz1000 Forum Resident

I still have a bunch of cassettes and my trusty Technics RS-M8 deck in storage.

DRM likes this.
  8. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Minidiscs are underrated!!

krisjay likes this.
  9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"reeling" -- get it?

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You might be surprised how much you get for them, especially if they are the higher quality ones.

11. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Why would I care about your stuff when 99.9999% of entertainment history is available thru digital?

12. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

I've been reading a few comments on discogs from people who are collecting download cards....

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.