Go Betweens "G Stands For Go Betweens" Volume 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lot49, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Apparently they still have it. I just can't bring myself to spend 180€ - postage included - for a set like this when I already have the main albums.

3. Neonbeam

I don't know. Usually not a good sign when reviews start with sentences like:

"I'm so glad that I get the chance to review Tallulah"

or

"I was excited when I found out that I had the chance to review The Go-Betweens' fourth album, Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express, "

Minorityshareholder likes this.
  4. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Got my box today, 96/24 WAV option on the download card and I got a book; "Wonders of the West" by Kate Braverman.

pobbard and Mr Olsen like this.
  5. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Huge fan.

So disappointed last night that I missed out on this release. I had no idea. Missed out on the first box, too.

Took a shot and tried the "Official Stores" Aussie link and, whoa..., AYFKM... success!

Sure hope that $312 and change is the Australian dollar and not U.S. money. :)

Thanks, gents!

hutlock and hamicle like this.
  6. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Got an email from Amazon today, order has not shipped and expected delivery is now January 6.

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Mine suddenly turned up 10 minutes ago. My book from Grant’s library is Jean Renoir’s My Life and My Films. The books (yes, more than one!) I got last time were also film books, and given his interest in filmmaking, this seems really poignant.... anyway, wow, what a set.....

Stone Turntable, Mr Olsen and hutlock like this.
  8. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

Mine arrived today with "Another Marvelous Thing" by Laurie Colwin. It's a beautiful box set!

I am glad Domino included a download of the vinyl content this time around -- and with the option to get it in 24 bit wav! Volume One came with a download of the radio promo sampler they issued (I volunteered at a community station at the time and we received that CD).

9. Mitchum51

Mitchum51 Well-Known Member

The first box did contain a download code for the vinyl content...at least in the first pressing.

10. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

Good to know! Mine was the second pressing.

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

For a DIY effort by three old friends who bonded over a love of the Go-Betweens many years ago, I found the amateur enthusiasm and emotion of their write-ups quite endearing.

One thing I appreciated alongside their delight was the honest sorrow and sadness expressed not only about Grant’s death, but about the strange/perverse disaster of the breakup of the line-up that created Tallulah and 16 Lovers Lane — all the might-have-beens.

12. Sebastian saglimbenI

I was absolutely devastated when I heard of Grant's passing.....it came out of nowhere....similar to prince!I assumed both were relatively "drug-free".....so sad to lose amazing talents that way!

13. Neonbeam

Reading an in-depth Go-Betweens biography came as an absolute shock because I somehow assumed Grant was this clean, sober counterpart to Roberts more dionysian personality. All wrong of course. Definitely taught me never to judge people I effectively don't know. Based on their persona. Grants passing came totally out of the blue. Especially after that terrific Berlin show. Who knew it was to be the last time they played here....

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  14. Sebastian saglimbenI

Well of course we are all human and SUSCEPTIBLE to addiction.....depression that can for years be maintained....contained.just that more shocking when it occurs to people we admire/love like prince and grant!

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

So, come on guys! My resistance to purchase this is getting weaker. Some more comments based on sound? I've got the albums on vinyl. Also the great "1978-90" compilation.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sunday here....mine arrived at the p.o. box yesterday and I was unable to retrieve it!I'd love to be of more help.....

17. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

defmoot and SJP like this.
  18. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Depression? I guess I hadn't heard about that.

19. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

hutlock likes this.
  20. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

SJP likes this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Didn't know about the code. Would have been nice but if I actually get this, I won't care in the least bit.

hutlock and Neonbeam like this.
  22. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

All four LPs sound great - prefer the Liberty Belle to the original album.
    The 1989 demos (first disc finishes really well - tracks 10-12 are deadly)

Wish I had got one of Grant's books in either set but unfortunately drew a blank both times.

Minorityshareholder likes this.
  23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Sound-quality wise I haven't had time to listen yet, but I couldn't resist dropping the needle and playing "Bye Bye Pride," my favorite track on the Tallulah LP and maybe my favorite Grant song period, and it sounded gorgeous, best I've ever heard it. Absolutely slays the 12-inch 45 single version I've got.

Gives me high hopes for the overall remastering job Barry Grint did for this box.

hutlock likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

25. Neonbeam

Will this series continue? And finally present a well mastered "Oceans Apart"?

cut-out, pobbard and Guy E like this.